306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Is it getting Ph3'd?

And don't worry, its the forum which randomly rotates pics.
Some of the cars on this forum seem to get passed around more than a discount prostitute at a frat house party

At least you'll be 3dr now and not get confused for being a 1.4 lol
What? Im so confused whats actually happening here now! lol

Also, being a ph2, I hope you checked the rear arch for rust.... Confused
It's not getting ph3'd, got bigger plans for the bodywork so seems little point.

Hahaha yeah she's been around the block, hopefully they'll struggle to confuse her with a 1.4 when their ears are splitting with boost noises though. Big Grin

The engine is being rebuilt with a bigger turbo and an extra even bigger turbo for good measure. That and all my shiny suspension bits are then getting transferred in/onto the 3dr shell. The whole shell will be cleaned up and undersealed before i start building it up.
Ah I see, makes sense! Should be good, will keep watching the thread then. Big Grin
Some fantastic plans afoot Alex!!
(19-06-2014, 06:14 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]It's not getting ph3'd, got bigger plans for the bodywork so seems little point.

CARPET!

MOAR CARPET EVERYWHERE!
(21-06-2014, 08:45 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-06-2014, 06:14 PM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]It's not getting ph3'd, got bigger plans for the bodywork so seems little point.

CARPET!

MOAR CARPET EVERYWHERE!

[Image: img65-0large.jpg]
More thinking this:

[Image: dumb-and-dumber-car.jpg]
Long overdue an update here, can't even remember half the stuff i've done in the 6 weeks or so. I think the first thing i did was clean everything up for sending away to the engine shop:
[attachment=18211]

A week later i got a pile of shiny back from balancing:
[attachment=18210]

Parts assembly:
[attachment=18212]
[attachment=18213]
[attachment=18214]

Head being cleaned up, new glow plugs going in:
[attachment=18222]

All this time the old shell was sat restricting access to the garage, when a letter reminding me of a house inspection came through i decided there was no time better than the present. A plan was made and on Saturday afternoon Jonny and I took the remainder of the silver HDi to pieces.

[attachment=18218]
[attachment=18219]
[attachment=18220]
[attachment=18221]

[attachment=18223]
[attachment=18224]
[attachment=18225]
[attachment=18226]
[attachment=18227]
[attachment=18228]
[attachment=18229]

Sunday morning arrived and a couple of the usual suspects had turned up to lend a helping hand (do it for me), and we cracked on. Well, not strictly true, we didn't get outside until half ten and even then it was to have a smoke and mince about talking about the job for half an hour. We were all done in time for lunch at half one mind, got to keep your priorities straight. Big Grin

[attachment=18230]
[attachment=18231]
[attachment=18232]

[attachment=18233]
[attachment=18234]
[attachment=18235]
[attachment=18236]
[attachment=18237]
[attachment=18238]
[attachment=18239]
[attachment=18240]
[attachment=18241]

Somewhere along the line the main crank bearing shells got thrown about and ended up all out of order. Oh well, i say, i'll just buy some more. Or not. Peugeot don't sell them in this country any more, motor factors can't get hold of them, even euros can't handle it... Wtaf... Speechless Going to see if i can get a second hand matched set locally as that's currently the only thing stopping me finishing the block build this week.

Loads i haven't taken pictures of, will take some more pictures over the next couple of days and try and keep better track of progress. It's not likely though, if we're honest. lol
Progress! I'm pretty sure any half decent engine shop would be able to source a set of main bearings for you, they're fairly inexpensive too iirc
Engine shop got my bearings for me.

Was a good laugh chopping up your shell. My grinder is an absolute weapon.
Haha. Thats epic!!! You sad to see the old gal go?
Out of interest, what's happened to the anti friction on the piston skirts??
(05-08-2014, 11:00 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: [ -> ]Progress! I'm pretty sure any half decent engine shop would be able to source a set of main bearings for you, they're fairly inexpensive too iirc

Have managed to find somewhere that'll source them for reasonable money after an hour on the phone this morning, saunders motor works wanted £115, that's more expensive than Peugeot! Rofl

(05-08-2014, 11:19 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Engine shop got my bearings for me.

Was a good laugh chopping up your shell. My grinder is an absolute weapon.

Yeah was a proper good laugh mate, still surprised at just how little time it took considering the chronic mincing that was going on, really is a serious piece of kit with that diamond blade on.

(06-08-2014, 05:47 AM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]Haha. Thats epic!!! You sad to see the old gal go?

Actually yes, i know it's just a rusty old silver 5dr, but i've got a hell of a lot of memories in that car. Reckon i gave her a proper send off with the eurotrip though, the various problems that developed over the course of that epic kind of felt like confirmation that now is the time to move on.

(06-08-2014, 08:24 AM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Out of interest, what's happened to the anti friction on the piston skirts??

Was removed by the cleaning process at the engine shop, figured it was more than half gone already so wouldn't matter that much..?
Been on the case with the engine rebuild for the last couple of days. Having cleaned the outside of the head casting i turned my attention to the working parts, clean them down and check condition etc. The timing-lock backing plate on the pulley has come free for starters, so that came straight off, will fit the one off the other head. Disassembled the rest of it and got heavy with the degreaser,:

[attachment=18283]
[attachment=18284]
[attachment=18285]

...cleaned up the mating faces,:

[attachment=18286]

...and put it all back together:

[attachment=18287]

Rockers, lifters and cam races were all super-clean, was a tiny bit of surface rust on a couple of the cams, but that cleaned up in seconds with some 1200 grit. Will be building a better head for it fairly soon, so it'll be fine for now. Mating faces were cleaned with a razor blade then another light application of 1200 grit, sneezed hard at one point with the razor, but thankfully only nicked the outer edge of the mating face. Head is now fully assembled, excepting injectors, and ready to go back on. Turned my attention to the block, cleaned up all the rust with jenolite and gave it all a heavy keying, then got busy with the VHT spray paint:

[attachment=18288]

Unfortunately it seems the paint i bought is a load of shit and pretty much rubs off after 24 hours drying time, so will be picking up a tin of engine enamel and doing it the old-school way. Next job was the mating faces on the block:

[attachment=18289]

Since then i've honed the bores, washed the block down thoroughly and done a lot of mincing about on ebay looking at bigger turbos (already, i know... Rolleyes ). No more piccies for a week as the missus has taken the usb cable on holiday with her, but progress will continue at a similar pace, engine should be finished in the next couple of days and will be moving on the fabrication... Big Grin
That VHT paint will be rubbish till you heaten it to cure.

Needs to get to about 120degrees then let cool ans it goes rock hard.

Use a hot air gun or similar. I made same mistake on my sump/gearbox.
Hammerite FTW Smile
Oooooohhhhhhh, ok now i've read the can and, yes, you're dead right. Blush

I'll spray it again before installation, loads left. lol
Engine is complete and has been residing in the new shell for a week now, have been slowly but surely putting together all the custom metalwork - bracketry, piping, flanges, etc - probably about halfway done on that front. Final positions for the turbos have been decided, downpipe is tacked up and brain successfully tied in knots trying to work out pipe routing. Hopefully finish the rest of it over the course of this week. There are pictures scattered across about five different devices, will put some together once i'm done with the important bit.
Nice work poodle, we need pics, going to be a proper little machine when it all comes together, sounds like you're getting close too.
Oh man I have only just read through this thread and seen what youre doing! Awesome stuff and best of luck with it all!
Needs Moar Piktorz!!!!!

Good work though mate, glad to hear she's coming along well.
This is certainly going to be interesting... just read it back to back again! Smile
Cant wait to see the outcome of this! Big Grin
Cheers guys, here's to hoping it all works lol.

I remembered to upload pictures!

Engine together:

[attachment=18896]

Porting the exhaust mani:

[attachment=18893]
[attachment=18894]
[attachment=18895]

Putting manifold -> external wastegate piping together:

[attachment=18897]
[attachment=18898]

Engine in (turbos just resting in approximate positions)...

[attachment=18899]

...and once we'd sussed the clearance, we dropped the subframe out for access:

[attachment=18900]

Jonny has a load of pictures somewhere, we may or may not get around to posting those soon.
Piping is looking good, cut up 6 manifold I take it?
Looking great, keep up the good work.

Always good to see two turbos in an engine bay Smile
Looking awesome Smile
(09-09-2014, 08:46 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Piping is looking good, cut up 6 manifold I take it?

That's right, conveniently happens to be about the right bore and has got nearly enough weird bends to get my mildly contorted routing sorted. lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20