306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Oil catch tank
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just got this kit off ebay which appears good quality just a little unsure how it goes. Am I right in thinking that the oil breather that feeds into my inlet will go onto the bottle and then the hole in the inlet plugged. What I dont get is what comes out of the return from the bottle, breather filter??? Also what is the bit in the last pics, it is open one end but closed the other, well confused :?

Cheers guys, heres what was in the box and a close up of the mystery thingymebob.

[Image: img20120126153438.jpg]

[Image: img20120126153456.jpg]

[Image: img20120126153505.jpg]

[Image: img20120126153513.jpg]

[Image: img20120126153520.jpg]
how wide are the inlet/outlet pipes? all the ones i've seen on ebay are a bit small, you could risk too much oil pressure if you're not careful . . Smile
you must have some instructions with some helpful diagrams??

also, have you got the standard inlet piping? i.e. no solid intake pipework which restricts the breather...?

Also - couldnt you leave one end with a simple breather filter instead of re-routing into the inlet?
i've never really looked into getting one of these, purpose is to catch any dirteh fumes from getting into the engine??
Mattcheese31 Wrote:how wide are the inlet/outlet pipes? all the ones i've seen on ebay are a bit small, you could risk too much oil pressure if you're not careful . . Smile

Never thought of that Confusedhock: Internal diameter is 80mm will that be ok?

@ ginge The intake system is completely standard bar a cheap ebay cone filter (all this will change as Im going to reroute it soon). No instructions/diagrams or anything in the box.

Any ideas as to what that other bit is for?
A catch tank is designed to collect old oil that would normally be fed back into the inlet manifold to be burned.

The breather pipe (usually on the rocker cover) should feed into the catch tank, and the return from the tank should feed back to the inlet manifold. Oil vapour will then be combusted as normal but any dirty oil spray will catch in the tank. Other option is to plug the inlet and have the return from the catch tank pointed down under the car somewhere to vent the fumes.

Just a way of running a slightly cleaner burn. We've all seen an oily inlet mani, right?
ah i see - very useful spellowe - top man! maybe tempted to sort myself out with one.

Spellowe, any idea of plumbing this into the inlet and a non-standard inlet such as metal intercooler piping?
any pics of one installed on a dturbo?
padge Wrote:any pics of one installed on a dturbo?

ditto, id like to see one for ideas on placement before my nice shiny pipes get dirteh
I've got one, but not got round to fitting it yet.
ginge191 Wrote:
padge Wrote:any pics of one installed on a dturbo?

ditto, id like to see one for ideas on placement before my nice shiny pipes get dirteh
attatch it to the side of the battery
Theres some pics on club 306
padge Wrote:Theres some pics on club 306

sneak them over ninja
Just ordered one anyway Smile
padge Wrote:Just ordered one anyway Smile

yeh theys seem easy enough fo fit anyway, but would be useful to see what kind of locations you can see to use.
Behind the battery Smile
[Image: 312061_10150975243440377_694050376_21634...7962_n.jpg]
im confused, you still have the standard valve on there?? or is that just from the inlet then to atmos?
Its been blocked off now I have done the same with the hdi
mooey65 Wrote:Its been blocked off now I have done the same with the hdi

ah ok, i getcha!

padge, just remember you're going to want to make i accessible when it needs draining, putting it behind the battery could be a pain in the arse to drain.
Not directly behind the battery lol
padge Wrote:Not directly behind the battery lol

yeh i think you know what you mean, let us know which one you buy mate, and whether the drains differ in location, thats my biggest concern
That take a long time to fill up u empty mine when I change the oil
mooey, any pics on your catch tank pal? which did you go for? had a ganders unde the bonnet today and struggling to find a location for it, there no cover on the bulkhead-side of the battery for it to bolt onto, and the front side is obstructed by my inlet?

theres some nice space down by the old stock air filter location?
Only skim read this but heres the answers if theyer already here.

Yes thats nice but you need your pipes to be at least the same size as the standard one cos otherwise youll end up with excess crankcase pressure which will pop your dipstick closely followed by most of your oil and if you dont notice your oil light then certain death of your engine.

The thingimy doo dah is actually 3 things. A reducer, a blanking plug and a joiner hose.

2 ways of plumbing it in.
Either one pipe to the breather pipe and one pipe to a breather filter then blank the breather hole back to the inlet.
OR
One pipe to the breather and the other to the inlet breather hole.

Mount it anywhere you like. IIRC slightly below the level of the breather and above the level of the inlet is good. Bolt it to the battery tray or bulkhead, anywhere theres space really.
Dum-Dum Wrote:Only skim read this but heres the answers if theyer already here.

Yes thats nice but you need your pipes to be at least the same size as the standard one cos otherwise youll end up with excess crankcase pressure which will pop your dipstick closely followed by most of your oil and if you dont notice your oil light then certain death of your engine.

The thingimy doo dah is actually 3 things. A reducer, a blanking plug and a joiner hose.

2 ways of plumbing it in.
Either one pipe to the breather pipe and one pipe to a breather filter then blank the breather hole back to the inlet.
OR
One pipe to the breather and the other to the inlet breather hole.

Mount it anywhere you like. IIRC slightly below the level of the breather and above the level of the inlet is good. Bolt it to the battery tray or bulkhead, anywhere theres space really.

why do you scare me so much with your words - engine explosion due to a pipe being too big Sad.

any reocommendations or sizes which are correct for this chris? seen a few on the bay but generic kits dont take my fancy :|
Its not a pipe being too big, its the breather tank holes being too small

IIRC Its 25mm on the HDi so probably the same on the XUD.

Also Im not scare mongering and Ill start by saying I dont know which came first, chicken or the egg but

On my old black HDi I fitted a cheap ebay catch tank, probably identical to the one above.
I started popping my dipstick due to excess crank case pressure (only when i hit max boost) and low and behold id loose some oil.

Top it up and carry on. This got worse and worse untill it would start doing it on the motorway and I remember it doing it one day in a 3 mile road works section with no gap in the cones to stop so even though I had 5l of oil in the car just in case I couldnt stop and had to drive a mile with the oil warning light on.

Anyway a couple of weeks later I fitted my new engine and the play in the pistons in the bores was massive from worn rings.

Now i dont know if the rings wore and the small pipe exassorbated the issue or the oil jumping out my engine then caused the wear but either way it IS bad news and CAN/DOES happen on pug diesels.
Just mounted mine, will post a pic when i get in.
padge Wrote:Just mounted mine, will post a pic when i get in.

awesome - show us how you routed the pipes as well mate - which one did you go for, also any idea on the pipe size for the breather inlet? Smile much love x
Just used some rad hose from various cars laying about, same size as breather hose, then used same for outlet of tank with a filter on, just temp untill i replace with nice blue hose Smile
[Image: c99cd623.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3