General rant about stupid torsion bars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General rant about stupid torsion bars
Well finally fitted the coilovers and shocks today only casualty was a drop link that popped off but I cannot shift the torsion bat it is seized like a mofo tried doing the notch method first no luck so heated it up to loosen everything left it soaking in cans of penetrator to take the bar itself out to lower still seized so have given up for now :-( this has. Immediate me out today :-(
Thanks given by:
You're not doing it outside today are you? I'd be surpised anything came off today, even my passenger door was frozen shut!

But yes I agree, its another really good design that when new would've been fine..........but when it gets old and rusty really not so great!
Thanks given by:
Nah had it in a garage with many heat lamps lol just wouldn't budge :-( gunna get a mechanic friend of mine to persuade it I think or find one of those slide hammers and force it out
Thanks given by:
Do you not have a puller? Threaded bar and a hefty bit of metal with a hole in it? Has done the job for me many a time Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I do not I'm afraid :-( may just buy one already lowered off a gti if my mechanic dude doesn't come through
Thanks given by:
Big hammer, heat, repeat.
Thanks given by:
Slide hammer = shite.

IMO the best budget way to do it is with a strong m8 75MM bolt and a 32mm socket.

A impact gun works a treat with socket methord but is easly done with a long handled 1/2" ratchet

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(19-01-2013, 07:11 PM)puglove Wrote: Slide hammer = shite.

IMO the best budget way to do it is with a strong m8 75MM bolt and a 32mm socket.

A impact gun works a treat with socket methord but is easly done with a long handled 1/2" ratchet

Slide hammer definitely = shite

I broke the one we used three times pulling my drivers side one........it came out eventually but a puller is the tool to use every time.
Thanks given by:
Someone send me some links to buy this equipment XD
Thanks given by:
Slide hammers are also dodgy due to the car being on jacks and getting pulled off of them with a slide hammer.

You can get all you need from halfords.

1 strong M8 bolt 75mm or more

2or3 Larger M8 washer. The thicker the better.

32mm socket or about 24mm or larger

Impact gun/decent ratchet withs some length giggity

And a shitload of plus gas or simular.

Normaly can find these items hanging around the garage

Hope this helps

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
tried doing mine a while back with gretsch drummer, it started to thread his m8. been told to give the torsion bar a good whack with a hammer to shock it so it free's of but havent tried this method yet
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Puller sounds like a good idea but I really really wouldnt want it snapping off :/
Thanks given by:
I tried a puller and that wouldn't even work
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 12:39 PM)SRowell Wrote: Puller sounds like a good idea but I really really wouldnt want it snapping off :/

If it snaps off, just cut a slot into the end of whats remaining and use a flat head to turn it out. Job done!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I tried the bolt method on the 106, kept chewing thru bolts. Twatted it with a bfo hammer and an extension bar as a drift and they came out with some heat. Slightly different to the 306 ones tho
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
i was told to soak it in diesel and drive on it to help work it in before trying to get them apart, seemed to work for me so far, 98 plate with 180k came apart in a couple of hours and my 02 plate took 45 mins from getting it on the ramp to the back being dropped.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bring it to me, £70 job done Smile
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
Kris how do you ever make any money?

Or are you just epically quick at stuff? Confused
Thanks given by:
He makes his extra money on giving hand jobs whilst hes doing the rear beam.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ah, and I bet he charges over the odds for that as 'extra expenses' to add on the bill at the end? Knew there'd be a catch! Confused

But seriously, I know he does a lot and practice should make it quicker, but the majority of beams are rusty now and seperating some must take bloody ages!
Thanks given by:
I've done well into a Thousand t-bars on 306's and 106, saxo, 206, 405. If I ever have a problem then it won't take more than 10mins to resolve.

T-bar time for saxo, 106, 206 is 1 hour. 306 can take upto 2hrs as they're the worst outta the lot.

And no, you don't get a 'how's ya father' at the end of the job. Niall must be in dreamworld...
Thanks given by:
Thats fair enough, guess it does show practice helps a lot! Still cant get my head round resolving a problem in just 10 mins though. I mean it takes 10 mins of panic then 10 mins of forum before I even attempt to resolve a problem with the car! lol

Honestly if I lived nearer I'd give you some work, can never believe the rip off prices that garages charge round here and avoid them unless I have no choice.
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 08:29 PM)KrisB Wrote: Bring it to me, £70 job done Smile

Location ??:-P
Thanks given by:
Dorking, Surrey.
Thanks given by:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm abit of a way but for 70 dolla :-P
Thanks given by:
Think he means pounds mate
Thanks given by:
Sterling ??