Gear Linkages Fitting Guide?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear Linkages Fitting Guide?
Anyone have a guide on how to change these? Looks tricky enough so looking for the best way to go about it?
Thanks given by:
You just pull the old ones off (sometimes a bit tricky the rubber bit can come out of the linkage) then stick new ones straight on, set the new ones to the same length as the old ones
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks, whats the easiest way to get at them? Jack the car up and get at them that way?
Thanks given by:
No if you open the bonnet and stand by the passenger side wing and look down next to the battery box you'll see them on top of the gearbox
Thanks given by:
13mm spanner will pop the old ones off in seconds, then molegrips if the rubber stays on. Pop some grease in the new ones if they don't have any in already, push on then put the pins in. Be warned they can be fiddly and you WILL drop and lose atleast 1 Lol

You shouldn't need to ajust the new ones at all I havn't on either of my sets iv fitted over the years
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Think Vaughan was talking about the bbm/miles adjustables
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I've gotta fit some adjustable a today, set them to the same length before putting them on and definitely from the top down? Cheers guys
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I've seen these kits on the 'Bay my gear change is a bit clunky, what would be a better fix a set of these linkages or replacing the lower bush?

I did the gearbox oil a few weeks ago and that has helped, a bit smoother now, but still a bit of resistance on selection. 140K HDi.
Thanks given by:
A linkage refresh can make quite a difference, the rubber goes off with Age so you can get some slop in them or worst still fall off, The linkages I sell are switching over to on car adjustable so you don;t have to remove them like every other one on the market, at the moment it's the 2 shorter rods that have this, longer rod we still have a few of the old type to go yet
Thanks given by:
Thread revival Tongue
How hard is it to change them on a hdi? As there is no room and the previous owner fitted a quickshift but got standard linkages :/
I have the linkages, any help would be appreciated Smile
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Easiest to get at from the passenger wheel arch on the HDi.
Thanks given by:
I reached mine from the battery. 11mm spanner for the smaller 2 and I used mile grips to clamp just below the linkage on the gearbox lever then used a 13mm spanner to lever it out
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
I did all three from underneath, prepare to have greasy arms up to your armpits though!
Thanks given by:
I changed the linkages on the 6 by removing the battery and going at it from there.
Thanks given by:
on my 6 i replaced 2 from the top and the longer one from under the car as i couldnt get the old one off without wrestling with it
it really did tighten up the changes on the 6 as it was like stiring soup before

the HDI set i bought at pugfest are still sat here on the desk waiting for my clutch to bust
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2013, 08:16 AM)Scott Wrote: I changed the linkages on the 6 by removing the battery and going at it from there.

^ This.

A lot easier to do from the top, remove battery & any induction piping that may be in the way.

They should just pop off with a little prying/pulling.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the replies guys, will try going from the top Smile
Thanks given by:
Tom, how you changed them from the wheel arch I will never know
Fitted my uprated linkages by from above (removing battery etc) and below, 2/3 hours later they're done, never again!!!!
Thanks given by:
It took me 15minutes the way I did it Wink
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
What way was that? And where they standard linkages or group n ones?
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2013, 08:01 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: Tom, how you changed them from the wheel arch I will never know
Fitted my uprated linkages by from above (removing battery etc) and below, 2/3 hours later they're done, never again!!!!

I'll do anything to avoid removing the battery and losing stereo settings. Wink But seriously, I didn't find it hard at all.
Thanks given by:
These were group n ones I fitted?
Those little pins you get with them are sooooo fiddly! When your angry, can't see, can't get your hand around, hands are greasy and sweaty it's bloody hard to get them in!!
And how you did it without it being of the ground, well done lol
To get one linkage off I had to pull on it with a crow bar from underneath!
Never again on a HDI!!
Thanks given by:
Wait, what? A crowbar? They usually just fall off these days.... lol
Thanks given by:
I genuinely chained the longer one to an engine crane to pop it off first time. It was so tight on there, possibly why there was no night and day difference to me, but the shorter ones were loose.
Thanks given by:
2/3hrs!!?? woh! if you clean them up and just put grease inside the cups, no need to end up with grease cover fingers/clips.
clips are tricky but I found if its sat right then just pop on.

and +1 to using a 13mm spanner. old ones pop right off...used long pry bars in past with no joy...got a 13mm spanner out and pop!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I got the little ones off easy enough, it was getting the big one off and popping them on, + my hands were getting sweaty, all the oil and crap underneath and those little clips!!
I used everything people have been saying but it's easier said than done.
Thanks given by:
How noisey are people finding these?
Did everyone pack them with grease too when installing them?
Thanks given by:
Reviving the theadage!
I've got a HDI and it left me stranded at the side of the road the other day after one of them fell off. There was a mechanic on the other side of the road luckily so he got it on the ramp but wouldn't let me under the car to have a look he said they are abit worn, so would I buy a new linkages or a new bush? And if so where would I buy these vital bits from?

Cheers guys!! :-)
Thanks given by:
I don't how you make it sound so easy, I can only see 2 and you can't even see the other end so how do you get the clips in if you can't see the other end
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2014, 02:23 PM)LewisG Wrote: I don't how you make it sound so easy, I can only see 2 and you can't even see the other end so how do you get the clips in if you can't see the other end

Stick your hand down there and 'feel' for them. Wink
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Miles Solid Gear Linkages Video wainwrightj 7 3,981 02-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Last Post: wainwrightj
  Anybody fancy fitting a 5th gear synchro? Iceman299 8 2,330 11-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Iceman299