XSI Wont start after being rebuilt????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XSI Wont start after being rebuilt????
Im new to the site and have done some searches but cant find an answer to this one!!

My 2.0 16v XSI engine has been rebuilt from scratch and now it doesn't want to start.. there is a good spark ,fuel and loads of compression... my question is really how long does it take to pump up the oil pressure in the hydraulic lifters spinning it on the starter???? or is it worth dragging it round the block???

Regards

Jamie
Thanks given by:
No oil in the lifters wont stop it from starting. Double checked the timing?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
does it just keep cranking and not fire? might be crank position sensor
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
timing is bang on (vernier pulleys) good spark and fuel.....cant see it being the cps as it was fine before I rebuilt it, oh the sense of irony!!!!!!
im at an absolute loss, is it poss to have the crank 360 deg out????
Thanks given by:
worth a test anyway mate, mine was fine and then broke, french shit for you lol
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
No. The crank turns once for every two turns of the cams. Best bet to check timing, lock cams, lock crank. All ok? good, turn the crank pulley four times and then recheck timing. This ensures everything has done at least one rotation.
Got all your earths bolted down? especially the one on the gearbox as this is where the CPS earths to IIRC

Edit: and if it gets to the point, ive done a guide in the guide section for testing sensors including how to test a CPS to make sure its working. Just need a multimeter.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Timing has been double and treble checked, even rotated it 20 times and got all locking pins in, however the inlet cam pin is stiff going
but I cant imagine this stopping it from running, even if it would be a bit rough........ all sensors were fine before it was rebuilt but I shall
re check them.......

When timed up correctly all the pistons sat in line half way down the bores, is this normal??? a friend said maybe the crank pulley has moved
on the rubber, but I would have thought id just trash the valves if this was the case...... really am at a loss.............. can of easy start soon grrrrrrrrr
Thanks given by:
Sounds like its timed perfectly mate. Yeah the pistons should all be at half way. And trust me, dont worry about the pins being stiff to get in. speaking from experience, you can have them pretty far out and still run albeit a bit rough.

Checked compression yeah?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
the only other thing I can think to check is when I assembled the injectors and fuel rail, I put the injectors in the fuel rail and then into the head???
but there's fuel there so ???????? think im just gonna lash it to a land rover and drag it down the road....lol

EDIT yeah loads of compression
Thanks given by:
Ok. Does it sound normal when cranking? Like it does when you would normally start it if it was working?

If you have compression, a spark and fuel, its more than likely a sensor issue....no doubt the CPS. Could be low on fuel pressure but most people dont have the equipment to test that.
Did you do the rebuild your self? When you say rebuilt from scratch, can you tell me exactly what you have changed/refurbed?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
sounds just as it did when cranking, perfectly healthy... every now and again it sounds like its going to go and then just returns to cranking..
just waiting for the battery to charge again (1st real charge)
rebuilt by myself and a friend (both experienced engine builders, not enough obviously)

crank has been lightened and balanced, wossner pistons, piper 285 cam kit, and a new oil pump, nothing too drastic
Thanks given by:
If i was you, get the CPS out and test it. As sam said, they can pack up suddenly! Are you still using the '1 piece' coil pack or converted to gti coils? got the coil pack earth bolted to the side of the head?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
yeah still on 1 piece coil pack, is the coil earth the black square block on the side of the head??? ill check the CPS tomorrow just to make sure...
Thanks given by:
Thats the one mate. As i said, search for my sensor guide and there is a detailed guide in there to test the cps
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the help, gives me a few more things to look for and ill report back as soon as I fix it/make it worse

Thanks very much
Jamie
Thanks given by:
When my fuel filter was knocked off. It would crank and wouldn't fire. Worth checking the fuel lines etc
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2013, 09:20 PM)Matt Wrote: When my fuel filter was knocked off. It would crank and wouldn't fire. Worth checking the fuel lines etc

But he wouldnt be getting fuel at the rail if that was the case
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
quick update, changed CPS as the last one was giving some rubbish inconsistent readings, still no fire but there was a new noise
which sounded like trying to fire back through the inlet?????? I have checked the timing and its bang on, the only other option now
I think is to pull the head back off and check the valves and make sure non are bent.....
I am at a loss now and there is nothing else to check!!!

Does the immobiliser still let the engine turn over???
is there a way to re set the ECU other than disconnecting the battery for a while???
and is there a way to read fault codes on Peugeots without a reader???

Thanks for any help as im gonna set fire to it soon!!! lol
Thanks given by:
You would know if the valves were bent. Sticks out like a sore thumb when turning over by hand and it also wouldnt stop the car from running unless it was really bad!

The ecu cuts fuel and spark but it can still turn over. Your still getting both of those so should be ok.
Ive never heard of it with a XSi ecu before but its very common for the 1.8 sagem ecus to literally just stop working. Normally they get spiked by poor designed wiring which doesnt stop the coilpack backfeeding.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
After speaking to a few friends who've raced these, it seems that its common
For them not to start on the key and need to be dragged down the road.....
So that is the next step, I can't see it being the ecu as I have a spark and correct
Voltage and pulse at all the sensors I've checked.....
I shall let you know how I get on!!!

Thanks
Jamie
Thanks given by:
Just be careful doing that. You can damage engines doing that and to be honest, what difference is it going to make to starting it on th starter?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Just clutching at straws now.... A friend of mine works for peugeot and he mentioned
That sometimes they just won't start on the key.. More so if they've been fiddled with.
Its worth a shot as (in my opinion) there is nothing wrong with it and I can't see why it won't start
Everything has been checked and double checked....
I used to have an orion 16i and fiddled with the engine that wouldn't start on the key, but once dragged off
It was fine, I just can't think of anything else...
Thanks given by:
its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

took the battery off and gave it a really good charge and after some coughing and farting it came to life,
sounds as rough as a bag of spanners on idle (cams) and goes up the street like a rat up a pipe!!!!

Now time for the dreaded MOT,

thanks for all the help everyone!!!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cabby Wont Start :( insomaniac45 41 7,412 20-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Last Post: insomaniac45
  car wont start ?? jjenn20 8 1,561 07-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Last Post: jjenn20
  Cylinder head rebuilt, but now sounds like a diesel, please help! rj.stead 6 1,713 14-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum