Changing headlight alignment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing headlight alignment
Bit of an ambiguous title, but wasn't sure how else to put it. I know how to adjust the headlight alignment, my issue is that it happens by itself... MOT tester pointed it out, now he's mentioned it i see it happen all the time.

I'll be driving along and without warning the ns headlight will realign itself to some 10-15 degrees. I can't seem to make it happen when i'm stationary, although managed it once when using the auto-adjuster in the cabin - adjusted them up one notch and the ns light seemed to go up an extra notch then back down to the same level as the other...

Completely baffled, don't know how or why this might happen or how to go about fixing it. Any suggestions?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I had this on my Y reg hatch, parked facing a wall at night and could watch the beam moving lol. I only drove the car for 3 weeks so never found out why it did it, but I guessed it may have been an auto-levelling thing using a giro at the time.........but now I know Pug are too tight to fit something like that lol. Never had the same thing happen on any older 306 though! Confused
Thanks given by:
Sure the reflector hasn't popped off one of the clips? There's a couple of them and if they're not clipped in properly the light wobbles about the place
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ah that sounds promising, is that a take-it-apart-using-an-oven job?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'll have a look later today for you Alex, I've got one crystal with the lens removed
Thanks given by:
I have a similar problem with mine, it's like the auto adjusters are "dancing". I fixed mine by getting them to the height I wanted them, then unplugging the adjusters. lol

Would also be interested to find out what it is that causes this, and any possible REAL fixes. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
@WiNgNuTz.....A possible electrical problem with the adjusters? Have you tried changing them for another set mate?
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2013, 08:49 AM)gareth7 Wrote: @WiNgNuTz.....A possible electrical problem with the adjusters? Have you tried changing them for another set mate?

They were fine before I fitted my crystals. Only started doing it after I changed them over, the frosted Ph2 lights didn't do it. O_o
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2013, 09:06 AM)WiNgNuTz Wrote:
(12-01-2013, 08:49 AM)gareth7 Wrote: @WiNgNuTz.....A possible electrical problem with the adjusters? Have you tried changing them for another set mate?

They were fine before I fitted my crystals. Only started doing it after I changed them over, the frosted Ph2 lights didn't do it. O_o

I've had the same since swapping to crystals from frosted just never bothered to fix it lol
Thanks given by:
Strange one then seeing as you've both got the problem.....

@Poodle, I've had a look inside the one I've got opened up and I'd say it's unlikely the clips have come off, they look pretty sturdy TBH.........and I'm 99.9% sure you'd need the lens off to check mate
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2013, 09:58 AM)rocker8742 Wrote:
(12-01-2013, 09:06 AM)WiNgNuTz Wrote:

I've had the same since swapping to crystals from frosted just never bothered to fix it lol

This. Just unplugged the adjusters, and now I don't have a problem. lmao
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks, Gareth.

However, i think these guys might be on to something. Mine are crystals on an HDi, but i've put phase 2 adjusters on as that's all i had spare...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Bulb out, put your finger in (giggidy) and push the reflector into the adjuster. My cibies did the same when i didnt click the adjusters in properly.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Aaaaahh. Ok will try that tomorrow. Ta babes x
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If that doesn't work Alex I should have a set of P3 adjusters here if you wanted to try them?
Thanks given by:
Sorted, thanks Niall.

Thanks for the offer Gareth, but looks like i'll be ok without now.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cool Smile

Yeah when i fitted my Cibies, people coming towards me must of hated me with the lens' bouncing around all over the place over every bump lol.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front bumper alignment rd070707 19 3,402 08-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Last Post: LewisG