Renting a house/ flat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renting a house/ flat
Right wanna as you guys a few questions and advice.
Me and the mrs have decided its time for us to settle down and get our own place. We've been together over 3 years and both feel we are ready!

We would ideally like a 2 bedroom house.

Both of us only work part time her earning around £100 a week and me earning £150 a week. We was originally told that we can both claim housing benefits seeing as we only work part time. But that was also informed that housing benefits are being stopped for people under 25 so due to lazy people that leave school and sit on dole or get pregnant have ruined that one for us, as the idea was 2 bedrooms saves moving out when we have a kid.

What I'm asking is if you live in a 1 bedroom flat or 2 bedroom house then how much roughly do you pay a week?

Rent? (I know different prices for areas I'm in Nottingham and live 30 minutes from city centre).

Council tax?
Water?
Gas?
Electric?
Can't forget broadband and tv?
Then we got to think food bills.

Saving for deposit first months rent and appliances isnt a problem.

I am also looking for full Time work or possibly move to another store to do more hours on the home deliveries as 25 hours is just over £200 Smile.

Thanks in advance Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
bradford on avon(wiltshire)
2 bed terraced house
housing association
2 adults,2 kids (8)&(12)

rent £422
tax £125
shopping £250
electric£200 (night storage heaters Sad,drops to about £150 in the summer)
water £50
tv £50
internet £40

hope that helps
Thanks given by:
Why not concerntrate on a 1 bed property to begine with. Smaller deposit, smaller rent and smaller bills. Then when you get settled and decide you want kids then you will have some money saved up and should have everything and with the deposit from your 1bed then will be cheaper as well to move.don't run before you can walk. You will have to live by your means. If ya need owt for your new place then just let me know. Doing removals I can get just about anything if I ain't already got it. Just let me know.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have a speed sheet with all this info on for my house.

I would look for full time employment 37+ hours a week. Nothing better than bringing home £900-whatever. Will make life easy.

If both of you are working full time, it will make moving out and raising a family much easier.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 07:13 AM)Pompey306mark Wrote: I have a speed sheet with all this info on for my house.

I would look for full time employment 37+ hours a week. Nothing better than bringing home £900-whatever. Will make life easy.

If both of you are working full time, it will make moving out and raising a family much easier.

Yes I know working full time would make life so much easier. But it's also finding the full time job. I'm
Not expecting her to leave her job either as I know it's what she's always wanted to do. She's spent years in college to work with kids and its took her 3 years to manage getting a job. Just needs more hours.
As for me like I said I will be looking for a full time job. I have till about
June time.

Cheers Kingy appreciate it Smile but don't really wanna get a flat all sorted move everything into one then let say a year later have to move out and go somewhere else. We'd rather just settle in the one place. And tbh looking around between a 1 bed flat and a 2 bed terrace there isn't that much difference in price.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wait so you were going to try and move out and immediately claim housing benefit because you can't really afford to move out?
The people in this country get worse by the minute.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 08:25 AM)Niall Wrote: Wait so you were going to try and move out and immediately claim housing benefit because you can't really afford to move out?
The people in this country get worse by the minute.

Niall has a point you know kent!

But it costs me and the mrs around. £1000 a month to run our 2 bed (i do own though. And its a morgage which is cheaper than local rent)

The £1000. Dosnt take into account. Our individual

Phone contracts
Car insurence
Fuel
Fags
Etc

So all all in is around £14-1500 a month.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I completely understand the urge to get out and get your own place (I'm beginning to want to myself) but it does sound like it might not be the best time to. I have to agree with Niall.

Surely you'd be better off waiting until you can pay for it yourself, i.e. when you have more hours at work? Personally I'd rather buy than rent as I feel renting can be a waste of money, with nothing to show for it at the end.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 08:52 AM)Kimmie Wrote: I Personally I'd rather buy than rent as I feel renting can be a waste of money, with nothing to show for it at the end.

Good luck Kim. I had this chat with Scott the other day and its almost impossible for young people let alone people living in and around London.

Kent, I can understand why you want to move out and start a family. Me and the misses are in the same situation at the moment but tell me, why should my taxes go towards you moving out just because you want to when they would be better off going to a family already where perhaps the main earner has lost their job? It's because of people in the mindset like yours that the benefits system gets abused so much.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 09:01 AM)Niall Wrote:
(03-01-2013, 08:52 AM)Kimmie Wrote: I Personally I'd rather buy than rent as I feel renting can be a waste of money, with nothing to show for it at the end.

Good luck Kim. I had this chat with Scott the other day and its almost impossible for young people let alone people living in and around London.

I know it'll be harder/ isn't going to happen any time soon, it's just a preference. I'd rather stay at home and save up more, than move out and rent straight away is all. I've already decided that when I do move out I'm moving away from London, no way I want to buy in the area I currently live in!
Thanks given by:
kent, get her up the duff, both claim benifits and then they have to give you a 2 bed house with full benifits and jsa. and whilst your claiming you can work on the side and get even more money.

every fucker else does it so why not you.

of course im joking but it is harder than what you think out their mate.
Thanks given by:
Kim, on a combined wage of almost 50k a year with a 30k deposit, me an Fiona were offered £110k. Won't get you anything and considering most people now will need pay off their mortgages in their life it's just not worth the hassle.
Kingy, I know your only joking but it's that "everyone else is so why not me" attitude that is destroying this country.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
To be fair, i'd agree with Neil, there are government systems in place, which yes, can support you if you want to move out, correct, but it's not really an ideal situation; there policies change constantly, and one day you could be left with 'less' support than you were expecting or started off with.

If i was in your positiion, i'd probably search for some more permanent, full time work. A combined income of £1k a month? isn't a huge amount, especially to support two of you (and even a child??)

Whilst working part time, you genuinely have a fair bit of time on your hands; I'm on my last year at university and across my 3 years studying i can't remember a time where i wasn't earning as much as one of your incomes through part time work. What i'm saying is that retraining, studying, college, whatever is not off the books.

Good luck anywho
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 09:45 AM)Niall Wrote: Kim, on a combined wage of almost 50k a year with a 30k deposit, me an Fiona were offered £110k. Won't get you anything and considering most people now will need pay off their mortgages in their life it's just not worth the hassle.
Kingy, I know your only joking but it's that "everyone else is so why not me" attitude that is destroying this country.

Really niall? Youd be better off coming down this way.

We had a combinde wage of 37k £12500 deposit and got a 122k. More than enough for a 2 bed house 3x off road parking. Front & rear garden. Modenish estate.

If we had a 17500 deposit they would of gave us 175k but then repayments would of been massive

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
niall, i agree. but its not just the benifits thats crippleing us is it. many more factors contribute towards the state of our acommony.
i have always worked, even if i hated the job. i havent had a day off work over illness for as long as i can remember. even with the mother of all hangovers, (and i have alot of em lol).
im 37 and on a low wage and it pisses me off so much that you see young couples with 4 kids and a staffy and they have a better car than me, better clothes, dont have to get up in the morning and get extra money from jeremy kyle.
rant over....

for now.
Thanks given by:
I'd agree with all the above, renting a place escpecially isn't cheap and I doubt you'd have much in the way of comforts with your current income.

Linzi doesn't work, she stays home with the wee man, and my recent increase in salary means we don't get working tax credits any more. I've an uncapped bonus which is great when you're working and on top form, but have a bad month and my earnings can drop by £4-500 which is the difference between an amazing month and a scrimping month.

Rent £475
Council Tax Band B £130 (we lucked out on this, town centre but property was last valued when it was fire damaged and needed rebuilt, shoud be band E)
Gas/Electric £100
Home insurance £15
Virgin Media £50

Other non-house related bills but ones to consider

Mobile bill £30
Hire purchases (TV for instance) £70
Car insurance £56
Food shopping (Me, Linzi, wee man) £250
Fuel (varies, I have a work van I use most of the time) £40

OK you can cut some of them down, like the Virgin bill could be down to £20 a month if it was really basic, food shopping could maybe be halved if we bought Value stuff and less fancy crap like fresh coffee, Hire Purchases are something we agreed on over 2 year deals but a luxury in our eyes with an option to return if we become financially stuffed.

That's £1200 straight away though. Considering my basic wage is £1300 a month after tax, I can afford to run the house myself, but if I get one big unexpected bill or something we're looking pretty skint for the month. Bonuses help a lot in my work but there's no guarantee of a bonus each month so I have to look at bills based on my basic wage.

Truth be told, I really think you'd struggle on your current income. Our place isn't even that expensive in the grand scheme of things, a two bedroomed town house 10 miles outside Glasgow.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks like the only chance us 'young' people have now of moving out is waiting for a rich elderly relative to die......as harsh as that sounds!

Also, don't have a kid until you can afford it. Fed up of seeing on facebook the single mums that are my age complaining that they don't have enough money.....well if they could keep thier legs closed maybe they would have more. Rolleyes It does really annoy me that they get a decent amount of money from sitting on thier arse because of something they had a choice over (I mean, kids dont fall out of there, something has to happen first!). However I can't get anything due to something that is NO fault of my own.

Personally, I think there should be some sort of scheme like the Uni one. So for example a loan to cover the deposit and say 3 months rent that gets paid back slowly with little to no interest when you're earning enough. Would make it easier for young people to move out, into different areas as well where jobs are, and give a month or two to find a job in that area. The goverment wastes money on so much other stuff that is completely pointless and I dont see why they don't do something to help people start out on thier own. I'm sure you'll all disagree with me but meh lol.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 10:30 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Looks like the only chance us 'young' people have now of moving out is waiting for a rich elderly relative to die......as harsh as that sounds!

Also, don't have a kid until you can afford it. Fed up of seeing on facebook the single mums that are my age complaining that they don't have enough money.....well if they could keep thier legs closed maybe they would have more. Rolleyes It does really annoy me that they get a decent amount of money from sitting on thier arse because of something they had a choice over (I mean, kids dont fall out of there, something has to happen first!). However I can't get anything due to something that is NO fault of my own.

Personally, I think there should be some sort of scheme like the Uni one. So for example a loan to cover the deposit and say 3 months rent that gets paid back slowly with little to no interest when you're earning enough. Would make it easier for young people to move out, into different areas as well where jobs are, and give a month or two to find a job in that area. The goverment wastes money on so much other stuff that is completely pointless and I dont see why they don't do something to help people start out on thier own. I'm sure you'll all disagree with me but meh lol.

Flawed in so many ways.

Firstly, and most obviously, your "uni" style scheme would never work. Because graduates, in fact young people these days in general, are too up themselves to look for any job. A lot of labouring/shelf stacking style jobs are disregarded by the majority who think themselves "above" that kind of work. They're as bad for the economy as those who never work. If they can't be arsed getting any old job to tide them over, f*ck 'em, they can be their parents' problem for all I care.

People should be rewarded for taking work, not have money gifted to them as an incentive. What happens when, after say three months, they have no job? They'd be evicted and end up either homeless or crashing on a sofa somewhere. Stupid idea.

You "young people" have plenty of opportunities to move out. You're an exception Tom for reasons we all know so i'm not getting personal, but there's plenty of houses on the market to rent or buy. We had a choice of about 10 places within budget and there's only me working out of the two of us. Even when my parents do pass away, their estate will be split 6 ways and that would barely be enough to put a decent deposit down on a house of our own. We'd still have to pay our mortgages.

The problem I think you'll find is money. Find any middle management junior salesman earning £15k a year, they think they're the tits because they're no longer on minimum wage. And the funny thing is they usually still live with their parents. If they were paying, say, £100 a month dig money to their parents, they'd have £900 a month disposable income. Compare that to me, who has his own place, his own bills and his own family, I have maybe £3-400 a month disposable on a much higher wage. The general lazy consensus is people don't want to move out because it's such a huge financial commitment compared to what they're used to. Can you imagine spending 12 months with nearly £1k a month to spend on what you want, then all of a sudden having less than £100 a month spare?

If you want your own way in life you have to pay for it and the sooner these unemployed patsys realise that they are NOT in fact above a lot of jobs available, the sooner the country will sort itself out. All this talk of "oh there's no jobs, boofuckinghoo" is a load of bollocks. Last time I checked, the job centre had HUNDREDS of jobs available. What happens is someone says "oh that's not what I want to do" and for the first 10 weeks or so the job centre says "fine, no worries, you apply for that £100k a year CEO job with no experience, we don't mind." The whole system is ridiculous. How many former CEO's do you know on JSA? And how many graduates do you know on JSA? If there's a well paid job, the company doesn't use the JobCentre to employ people. They'll be sponsored to advertise but it's a carrot that people will never get. Two candidates - a graduate who's been unemployed for 12 months, or a successful management candidate with 5 years experience in the trade. Who would you choose?

Finally, I take massive offence to your rant about having kids. You don't have kids and it's glaringly obvious. Unfortunately not everyone sits down and has the chat "darling, we love each other so much, why don't we try for our first born and bring him/her into this financially sound world we have created around us".

Phoenix was, erm, an unexpected surprise, to put it politely. And you know what? f*ck you if you think we have no right to raise a child. I was unemployed at the time, I got into call centre work because I needed a job with the impending responsibility, and worked my f*cking arse off to provide for him. Linzi hasn't worked since he was born, and i've put the effort in to work myself into a position where we can afford our own house and be happy as a family. You know what? Up until this last year we received working tax and child tax credits. If you think we don't deserve them because apparently we "had a choice in the matter" you can go f*ck yourself.
Thanks given by:
Tom young people can happily rent once they have a suitable income. Getting a mortgage is obviously substantially more difficult because you need a huge deposit and even then, seems like you need a huge combined wage. Tbh it's only this country that has a real obsession with owning a home. There's no reason you can't rent but obviously each has its own benefits but now that house prices are rocketing and young people struggle to get any sort of decent mortgage, people are going to have to either stay at home with their parents till there 30s or rent.

Kingy, completely agree. It pisses me off that generally people on benefits are better off than people who work but saying that you might as well go on benefits because your better off makes you no better than them. Last year Fiona was working part time in a shop when at the time, that was the only work she could get. We sat down one evening and worked it out and she would of been fully eligible to go on job seekers allowance and every other benefit under the sun and be earning more than she was in her shitty job. It's too easy to not work and get paid but she didn't because that's unfair on the people who genuinely need them benefits and makes you as bigger wanker as all these people who do just want to get on benefits so they can get their council house or rent paid.

Pellowe, everyone should have the choice to raise a child. You seem to be one of the decent guys who would rather work to support his family but what I don't think that people should be doing is having a child when they can't financially sustain it and therefore need to go on benefits.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 11:24 AM)Niall Wrote: Pellowe, everyone should have the choice to raise a child. You seem to be one of the decent guys who would rather work to support his family but what I don't think that people should be doing is having a child when they can't financially sustain it and therefore need to go on benefits.

I don't disagree with the choice matter Niall, but after a few Kronenbourg, a heat wave, sunstroke and a paddling pool we forgot to make that "choice".

Not making that choice doesn't remove your right to have a child though. In fact the child isn't the problem at all. The problem is parents then CHOOSING not to work for their child.
Thanks given by:
Don't even get us started on the girls who get pregnant just so they can get their council house...

No joke, in year 11 I sat behind the 'popular' girls who were saying how they'd love to have a child for this reason (and so they can dress it up). Low and behold, by prom 2 of them were pregnant and now 5 of them have children (some have 2 kids).

Horrible people.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 11:34 AM)Kimmie Wrote: Don't even get us started on the girls who get pregnant just so they can get their council house...

No joke, in year 11 I sat behind the 'popular' girls who were saying how they'd love to have a child for this reason (and so they can dress it up). Low and behold, by prom 2 of them were pregnant and now 5 of them have children (some have 2 kids).

Horrible people.

I actually hate people like that. There's nothing wrong with having children young if you can support them. Purposely getting pregnant and then claiming every benefit under the sun because of it is wrong and that's why the benefits system is so screwed in this country.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Tbf, that ^^^ is more what I was meaning, rather than you Pellowe lol, you arent scrounging benefits afaik. And working tax credits are different as obv you have to be working for them. So many girls from my school did this where they had kids at 17 and have got rid of (or dont even know) the fathers just for the benefits. But then my Mum was married at 20 and had me at 21, I'm sure she regrets wasting her life like that now, and thats not even seen as young these days!

Essentially this is the same problem as Africa though - WHY, WHY, WHY do they keep having children when they don't have food/water for themselves then expect charities to steal money from English people to pay for them. Obviously its a much worse circumstance over there, but its the same thing. If you can't afford a kid without having to scrounge off the goverment, make damn sure you're not gonna have one! Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Basically, learn to pull out or put a Jonny on. Simple!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Doesn't even compare to this situation. The problem in Africa is to do with male attitudes towards women, availability of contraception and education. It's not just so they take money from charity.

Niall I hope you don't use your first suggestion. One of the most common causes of unplanned pregnancy.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 11:56 AM)Kimmie Wrote: Doesn't even compare to this situation. The problem in Africa is to do with male attitudes towards women, availability of contraception and education. It's not just so they take money from charity.

lmao

Yeah I was wondering if those words came out of his brain
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 11:56 AM)Kimmie Wrote: Niall I hope you don't use your first suggestion. One of the most common causes of unplanned pregnancy.

Nah course not. I'm stupid but not that stupid lol

Alternatively, use anal. Can't get pregnant then! Win win situation.......
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 12:01 PM)Niall Wrote:
(03-01-2013, 11:56 AM)Kimmie Wrote: Niall I hope you don't use your first suggestion. One of the most common causes of unplanned pregnancy.

Fair enough, thought I should clear it up though, Tom might think that it's acceptable one day and then he'll be in the exact situation he's moaning about!
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 12:02 PM)Kimmie Wrote:
(03-01-2013, 12:01 PM)Niall Wrote:

Fair enough, thought I should clear it up though, Tom might think that it's acceptable one day and then he'll be in the exact situation he's moaning about!

Awaits thread "I'm about to have sex. How do I do it?" By Tom!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 12:03 PM)Niall Wrote:
(03-01-2013, 12:02 PM)Kimmie Wrote:
(03-01-2013, 12:01 PM)Niall Wrote: Nah course not. I'm stupid but not that stupid lol

Awaits thread "I'm about to have sex. How do I do it?" By Tom!

The internet won't even still be around time I need to write that thread..... lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oh bugger dog house tonight cully 10 3,115 14-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  House electrical question cpikey316_ 6 3,042 15-11-2017, 06:42 AM
Last Post: cully
  House moving cost cpikey316_ 22 4,612 30-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Last Post: cpikey316_