back axle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
back axle
well where do i start lol my axle was previously lowered the mr nick way as im from northern ireland lol. The car the axle is on is an hdi with disk brakes but was just wondering would the drum brake with the abs be compatible as ive been offered one never lowered Smile
Thanks given by:
I know some people rate the drums over the discs, handbrakes better so ive heard, but personally id stick with the disc beam, and just get it raised a bit the proper way, and maybe have the bearings etc looked at at the same time, and any ropey parts replaced/refurbed.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Drums 'can' be better for the handbrake, but theyre not usually setup properly and are a pain as the auto adjusters never work so usually are just as poor anyway lol.

For stopping power discs are far better, very noticable coming from a 1.4 (266s front, drums rear) to a 1.8 (266s front, discs rear) and I've never found the handbrake to be a problem when parked, only difference is you can't handbrake turn at 30+ as nothing at all happens if you apply a disc handbrake on the move lol. lol

As for compatibility, no idea, but I really wouldn't bother!
Thanks given by:
Didnt think you were the type to do handbrake turns tom haha
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 10:46 AM)Bananalad Wrote: Didnt think you were the type to do handbrake turns tom haha

Well thats why I don't mind a disc handbrake. Wink
Thanks given by:
get where you's are coming at lol but havent the money to refurb i and can get the other axle cheap as mine is kaput lol just wondering is it just a plug in and away you go lol
Thanks given by:
Yes its a straight swap just the handbrake cables are different.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 09:36 PM)Jtrigga Wrote: Yes its a straight swap just the handbrake cables are different.

thank you very much Smile
Thanks given by:
ive swapped 2 axles from drum to disc an it is so easy 6 bolts an brake lines
Thanks given by:
ano its easy to swap but never done a disk to drum lol but now i know it should work Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to lower back axle when torsion bar siezed Skinner 9 2,090 31-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Last Post: anto
  Will a rear axle fit in the back of a hatch? DeeTurbo 16 5,653 08-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Ben