F*cking virgin media

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F*cking virgin media
Ive just found the "installer" has disconnected all the phone sockets in my house! Leaving only the main one.

They also put the modem in the wrong place, leaving a hole in my upstairs wall.

Monkeys....
Thanks given by:
They did this to us too, and as they did it the Friday before a bank holiday we were left with no landline for the whole weekend, along with no internet and poor TV. Also refused to reimburse my Mum the £60 mobile phone bill she ran up (on Virgin's network) whilst having to call them from it, even though it was their fault in the first place. Then when someone came to fix it, we were told that instead of getting 60mb Broadband as per our contract, we were only getting 20mb as the modem was in the wrong place/not connected to a computer or some shit. Tards!

Not as bad as Sky though, they installed my Dad's satellite dish at a cost of £80, then when he complained he couldn't access a lot of the channels due to no signal they kept fobbing him off that it 'was down to the area he lived in with lots of trees'. Eventually they sent someone 6 months later who explained the dish was in the wrong place, but he was still charged £80 to move it!
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Sky did the same thing with the phone line when we moved in, the house builder (its a new build) nicely sent a sparky round to sort it.

The changed due to a discount, and the broadband. The virgin TV service is shite, and I dont care about a landline. 17 long months left until I can get rid of this and go back to sky. BT infinity will be in my area in a month or two, I should have waited.
Thanks given by:
You can cancel within a certain period though, my dad cancelled NTL the day it was put in because he didn't like it.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, its been in for over a month. My own stupid fault for not checking earlier.

I left him a very specific note! Telling him not to disconnect all my phone sockets!!
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 03:08 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Yeah, its been in for over a month. My own stupid fault for not checking earlier.

I left him a very specific note! Telling him not to disconnect all my phone sockets!!

Er, your extension phone sockets would likely have been connected to the BT master socket.

By you telling him NOT to disconnect all your extension sockets, you've probably inadvertently advised him NOT to connect them to the Virgin master socket.

If you'd have said "please connect my extension sockets to the Virgin line" i'd imagine the outcome would have been different? Also you'd probably have a hard time disputing it now because of

a. the length of time til you mentioned it and
b. the fact that we're not supposed to touch internal wiring unles you ask us to when the order is booked on.

If you've said "please don't disconnect my extensions" he's probably thought to himself "aye no bother, i'm not touching them anyway"...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 04:23 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(31-12-2012, 03:08 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Yeah, its been in for over a month. My own stupid fault for not checking earlier.

Er, your extension phone sockets would likely have been connected to the BT master socket.

By you telling him NOT to disconnect all your extension sockets, you've probably inadvertently advised him NOT to connect them to the Virgin master socket.

If you'd have said "please connect my extension sockets to the Virgin line" i'd imagine the outcome would have been different? Also you'd probably have a hard time disputing it now because of

b. the fact that we're not supposed to touch internal wiring unles you ask us to when the order is booked on.

If you've said "please don't disconnect my extensions" he's probably thought to himself "aye no bother, i'm not touching them anyway"...

They were, and I expected them to be connected to the Virgin phone line at the end of the installation, my note expressed this.

besides that, there is common sense to think about, why wouldn't I want them connected?
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 04:27 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote:
(31-12-2012, 04:23 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:

They were, and I expected them to be connected to the Virgin phone line at the end of the installation, my note expressed this.

besides that, there is common sense to think about, why wouldn't I want them connected?

There's a few reasons. They may have never worked, they might have been tested faulty or showing signs of faults, you may not need them/never use them, might have misunderstood the note thinking you didn't want them connected..

I've been caught out before by people leaving "notes" but at the end of the day, if you're not there and you have any specific requests, you really need to check they've been done yourself when you get home.

Just trying to offer an employee's point of view. S/he doesn't know you, doesn't know what you want, and has a note and a house-sitter's guidance on what goes where. The number of times i've been to installs and the responsible adult doesn't even know what's being installed it's ridiculous. We're not mind readers.

If you want any info on how to connect the extension sockets though feel free to drop me a PM.
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 04:31 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(31-12-2012, 04:27 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote:
(31-12-2012, 04:23 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Er, your extension phone sockets would likely have been connected to the BT master socket.

There's a few reasons. They may have never worked, they might have been tested faulty or showing signs of faults, you may not need them/never use them, might have misunderstood the note thinking you didn't want them connected..

I've been caught out before by people leaving "notes" but at the end of the day, if you're not there and you have any specific requests, you really need to check they've been done yourself when you get home.

Just trying to offer an employee's point of view. S/he doesn't know you, doesn't know what you want, and has a note and a house-sitter's guidance on what goes where. The number of times i've been to installs and the responsible adult doesn't even know what's being installed it's ridiculous. We're not mind readers.

If you want any info on how to connect the extension sockets though feel free to drop me a PM.

They worked, I tested them all with a phone after the builder sorted BT's cock up out.

I didn't think a request like "make sure all the phone sockets in the house work" would have been beyond the "installer" Ill remember this when dealing with Virgin media employees in the future.

Im actually wondering if its worth the hassle messing with it, since I plan to leave Virgin as soon as my contract is up.
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 04:39 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote:
(31-12-2012, 04:31 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(31-12-2012, 04:27 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: They were, and I expected them to be connected to the Virgin phone line at the end of the installation, my note expressed this.

They worked, I tested them all with a phone after the builder sorted BT's cock up out.

I didn't think a request like "make sure all the phone sockets in the house work" would have been beyond the "installer" Ill remember this when dealing with Virgin media employees in the future.

Im actually wondering if its worth the hassle messing with it, since I plan to leave Virgin as soon as my contract is up.

You're dealing with an employee now who offered to help get them all connected, it's not a hard job, but to be honest if you were this pissy i'd walk straight back out of your house but hey ho, you pay the bills so you must be right.

I'll not go into how our responsibility is to connect the master socket and no further then, seen as you own the internal wiring, if the tech wired them up and something went wrong it would be us responsible for your builder's wiring. All extensions are supposed to be booked on with the order so they can be accounted for in the event you inevitably phone up and say "my phone sockets don't work", so we can say yay or nay as to whether it's our responsibility to fix them. Whilst common sense says to connect them up, technically we don't have to if it's not booked on the order. What if you were still using a BT phone line and he cut all your BT extensions off and connected them to Virgin? Not to mention that we aren't legally allowed to remove the faceplates from BT sockets or tamper with them in any way.

Personally? I think common sense points to the assumption you'd want them wired up to the new phone line. But assumptions are what cost us a lot of money as employees and i'm certainly not putting myself in that position again.

Did your note also say "make sure the DVD player works too"?

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 04:55 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(31-12-2012, 04:39 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote:
(31-12-2012, 04:31 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: There's a few reasons. They may have never worked, they might have been tested faulty or showing signs of faults, you may not need them/never use them, might have misunderstood the note thinking you didn't want them connected..

You're dealing with an employee now who offered to help get them all connected, it's not a hard job, but to be honest if you were this pissy i'd walk straight back out of your house but hey ho, you pay the bills so you must be right.

I'll not go into how our responsibility is to connect the master socket and no further then, seen as you own the internal wiring, if the tech wired them up and something went wrong it would be us responsible for your builder's wiring. All extensions are supposed to be booked on with the order so they can be accounted for in the event you inevitably phone up and say "my phone sockets don't work", so we can say yay or nay as to whether it's our responsibility to fix them. Whilst common sense says to connect them up, technically we don't have to if it's not booked on the order. What if you were still using a BT phone line and he cut all your BT extensions off and connected them to Virgin? Not to mention that we aren't legally allowed to remove the faceplates from BT sockets or tamper with them in any way.

Personally? I think common sense points to the assumption you'd want them wired up to the new phone line. But assumptions are what cost us a lot of money as employees and i'm certainly not putting myself in that position again.

Did your note also say "make sure the DVD player works too"?

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I do appreciate your offer, but my experiences of Ntl/virgin media installers have all been negative (generally, i'd use the word lazy to describe them) Clearly there are some good ones out there!

If he wasn't going to connect the phone sockets, why didn't he tell my fiancee this? He read and acknowledged the note and yet seemingly ignored its contents.

If he was installing a DVD player, then yes, i'd expect him to make sure it worked.
Thanks given by:
I've had virgin media many years now. Also had experience with other company's. IMO sky are pants there service is crap there tv is crap there reception is crap and you pay for 20mb broadband and receive 2mb.

Where as virgin I get a reasonable price contract L tv with TiVo and 20mb broadband all for £30 no phone line. The installer was great had it all done in no time even showed me everything he does as I told him I was a computer technician so I was really interested.
On the phones ok they're not English and hard to understand take the piss to sort anything out but soon as you tell them your a Microsoft certified technician things get sorted.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
See Iam with sky!! Home phone, tv and fibre optic get 40+ meg, never had a problem, horses for courses really, it all depends on the person doing the install, some are great others are shit, luckily for me my mate works as a sky installer and he lives down the road from me so any jobs at mine he's done
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Prefer sky TV! Find the Virgin/TiVo hard to use and find things on.

Already have the sky install, so will be problem free to switch back.
Thanks given by:
Yeh we got the wireless thingy for our hd box! It's brilliant, all the on demand you can't fail to find something to watch
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's f*cking Friday!!! C.A.R. 16 3,287 31-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Last Post: SupaStar88
  Virgin media Willo 12 2,734 14-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Niall
  Virgin Media Mates Rates offer cwspellowe 48 19,560 21-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Smiley69