think its broke. video inside

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
think its broke. video inside
[Image: th_IMG_0442_zpsb52aff35.jpg]
my car has decided when i was driving it that it wanted to lose power. splutter and tap its arse off on my way home one evening a couple of weeks ago. its been just sat on the driveway since. one of my mates thinks its bent or broken a valve. any suggestions?
Thanks given by:
There is a consistent tap bit it sounds like somethings rattling about as the revs raise. Definitely check plugs first. Have you taken the cam cover off and checked the engine is timed correctly and the adjusters on the pulleys aren't loose?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I'd take the Cambelt cover off, lock off the bottom pully and see if you can put pins in the locking holes on the pulleys. Timing might be slightly off. Spark plugs would be first port of call. As said before they can come loose and rattle like f*ck
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
sounds like the bottom ends knocked out and probably bent a valve or 2
Thanks given by:
Been asked by a friend how much I want for the engine and loom without the gearbox as he wants to rebuild it and put it in a different car. Any ideas what sort of price it is worth?
Thanks given by:
Sure it's not an electrode on a spark plug that's snapped off? Definitely not a tapper anyway, completely different noise...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I checked today that none of the plugs were loose and they weren't. But I didn't take them out because when I first put the socket on the rubber got stuck on the plug so I didn't bother. Just checked they were tight without the rubber on. Then went and bought a 1998 d turbo instead haha
Thanks given by:
Shame that you're throwing in the towel Sad It really doesn't sound like its a tapper as Pellowe said...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Take the plugs out, if any of the plug has snapped off I imagine the bore will be fecked.
Thanks given by:
Ill take the plugs out tomorrow and report back on here
Thanks given by:
So you went ant bought a new car, rather than ta £5 socket to hopefully diagnose the problem? lol

What you doing with this car then?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Hasnt had a oil change recently has it?

Tbh, that random rattle doesnt sound to brilliant. First thing i would do is whip the plugs out and check them as others have suggested and then maybe look at the timing.
It could very well be a stuck lifter. They make a horrendous noise (just ask matt!) and it does sound like it was a snapper but with the right oil in, it generally disappears. Any history of the belt being done?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Anyone wanna give me £400 for the whole car?
Thanks given by:
Where are yu based?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Last time it was seen was around Salisbury
Thanks given by:
Northamptonshire
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Have I Broke Now!? Toms306 21 4,769 28-02-2014, 05:02 PM