Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Got calipers already on the way so fancy new discs an pads
Thanks given by:
get some decent discs and pads or its pointless
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Get some Mintex 1144 or ferrdo pads.

Disc's Brembo, but I have used mtec ones in the past and they were fine.
Thanks given by:
You can get whatever make of discs you want, they don't make any difference at all anyway, provided they are vented as per the oem discs.

406 discs will not fit as the hubs/calipers on the 406 are different offset to a 306.

Spend your money on decent pads, and make sure your fluid is renewed and the brakes are properly bled imo.
As has been said ferodo ds2500s and mintex 1144s are great; ferodo are slightly better for light track-use but more pricey. I've got 1144s and love them, and I have driven mine pretty hard in the past...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Sweet boys, Will get some vented bad boys
Thanks given by:
As said the406 ones are a different offset so are a no go

All disks are not the same, I would go for either BREMBO or minted items, they have a higher content of something or other that helps with the friction to help with the braking.

As for pads mintex 1144 or ds 2522 but if you want the BESt the go for pagid rs 4 2 blue they arnt cheap but they are a fantastic all round pad.

Team them up with new fluid and braided lines and you won't get a much better set up other than by fitting multipots
Thanks given by:
When I say Vented, I mean as opposed to solid discs.... Another thing that's pretty pointless IMO is drilled and grooved discs. Don't bother with them, you're spending more money on parts that don't matter as much as a decent pad compound. Smile

I have heard good things about this set if youre interested; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-306-GT...335b3253f2
Thanks given by:
Sweet buddy really appreciate it
Thanks given by:
They are just standard Mintex pads though not the 1144.

Braided lines are a good upgrade to.

Have a look at camskill. I get my 4pot Mintex 1144 off there as they are cheaper.
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2012, 09:21 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: When I say Vented, I mean as opposed to solid discs.... Another thing that's pretty pointless IMO is drilled and grooved discs. Don't bother with them, you're spending more money on parts that don't matter as much as a decent pad compound. Smile

I have heard good things about this set if youre interested; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-306-GT...335b3253f2

Dont think you can even get solid front discs can you? If so, cornerweightwhat!?!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2012, 09:31 PM)Niall Wrote:
(28-12-2012, 09:21 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: When I say Vented, I mean as opposed to solid discs.... Another thing that's pretty pointless IMO is drilled and grooved discs. Don't bother with them, you're spending more money on parts that don't matter as much as a decent pad compound. Smile

Dont think you can even get solid front discs can you? If so, cornerweightwhat!?!

Yeah you can a lot of the low spec 306 have them

And I doubt they weigh much more than the 283 vented as they are about half the thickness
Thanks given by:
theres HUGE differences in discs that are cheap or premium.

you get what you pay for...as with other things...

dont forget that your brakes maybe cheap....but life isnt
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The nad has solid fronts lol!! But no I don't think any of the 306 range came with solid discs! And yes mark I know they're not 1144s but curt runs them and says they're fine

(28-12-2012, 09:52 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: theres HUGE differences in discs that are cheap or premium.

Ok, pray tell me how ordinary discs differ from say Brembo discs? I'm dying to know where I've been going wrong all these years......

Sure they may be rated to a higher temperature, so they don't warp so easily, but there's no danger in warping discs...
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2012, 10:12 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: The nad has solid fronts lol!! But no I don't think any of the 306 range came with solid discs! And yes mark I know they're not 1144s but curt runs them and says they're fine

(28-12-2012, 09:52 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: theres HUGE differences in discs that are cheap or premium.

Ok, pray tell me how ordinary discs differ from Brembo discs? I'm dying to know where I've been going wrong all these years......

It's all to do with the carbon content of the metal in the discs

The higher the content the better the heat dissipation and better friction of it and the pads

All aiding how well they do there job.

Granted there isn't a need to fit discs at £100 a corner to a 306 but you still need to fit quality items no something that was made in china from monkey metal

Next you will be telling me that you don't check the runout of the disk when fitting
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2012, 10:12 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: The nad has solid fronts lol!!

Not any more it doesnt lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
No I'm very diligent, I always grease the face of the disc on both sides with copper slip first, and then I grease the surface of the pads as I know it aids bedding in. I always like to give the calipers a good tug when they're hanging just from the brake lines, just to keep them supple....

In summary though, a set of mintex discs and pads as I posted above will be fine for a road car. No they will not dissipate heat better than a formula one disc, and no it will not operate at higher temperatures consistent with heavy track or race conditions as it doesn't have a high cf content.

My point still stands that even for dedicated hard track use you can do fine with a set of standard eicher discs or similar from euro car parts as long as you run decent pads.

There are plenty of people on the 6 forum running dedicated track cars with naughty carbon Lorraine pads and oem discs or similar.
Thanks given by:
TBH ive never taken my car on track (yet) but i do give it some seriously hard abuse sometimes and never ever had a issue with my standard discs and pads!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I have only used Mintex 1144 and 1155 in my 4 pots.

With standard, 266 and 283 I just used what ed posted and other deals like that.

You will notice a difference with better pads, but the standard stuff is good enough.
Thanks given by:
My 1155's are awsome done 3 trackdays with em and they are fooking quality do take a bit of warming up in winter though
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2012, 11:17 PM)Jonny b Wrote: My 1155's are awsome done 3 trackdays with em and they are fooking quality do take a bit of warming up in winter though

That's what I've heard; I was considering them for the next pads, but I think I'll be going with ds2500s as they're apparently midway between 1144s and 55s
Thanks given by:
Yeh defo worth the money! When it was -9 last year I couldn't stop at the end of the road lol had to use the handbrake ha ha
Thanks given by:
High carbon discs actually often have worse heat dissipation than low carbon ones, and less friction in the wet, albeit more when dry. They just last longer.
Thanks given by:
Just buy my front discs lol
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 02:44 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: High carbon discs actually often have worse heat dissipation than low carbon ones, and less friction in the wet, albeit more when dry. They just last longer.

Yeah but don't they operate at higher temperatures than standard discs? And as you say they also take more of a beating.

Or is the fact they last longer the main reason they are used; as CL pads are so heavy on the discs..?

ALSO @ Swampy, having read that back this morning my previous post comes across a bit shitty. My point really was in response to Piggy's initial comment regarding discs. If you buy the cheapest Eicher or Pagid discs from ECP or similar, you'll pay somethign in the region of £40 a pair, rather than the £80 a pair for Brembo equivalent. And you just wont see any difference. Hence my (slightly sweeping) statement that the disc was irrelevant, and the pad was what you wanted to spend the money on.

Anyway, the OP has his answer now Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks PPL sorry for causing beef
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 09:45 AM)Tyronnster Wrote: Thanks PPL sorry for causing beef

Mmmmmnnnn beeeeeffff
Thanks given by:
Just to add to this.....don't buy Eicher discs, I've warped 3 of them bloody things on various cars!! lol

Haven't had any issues buying Pagid discs though.....yet anyway!

Although I must say, I'm not impressed with the Pagid pads in the 266s, done about 800 miles on them so they should've bed in by now, but not as sharp as I was expecting. Wish I'd spent a bit more on better pads really.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upgrading to 283mm brakes on Dturbo Hobo Ash 15 3,069 01-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Hobo Ash
  283mm 307 Brakes on a S16 Pingaz 13 3,409 05-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Last Post: miles
  283mm Caliper donor vehicles mattsrallye 2 1,206 03-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Last Post: mattsrallye