Exhaust diameters and joining and things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust diameters and joining and things
Right guys i've ordered a 2.5inch 90degree bend to replace my exhaust elbow and a flexi to go onto that but now i need a piece that goes onto the flexi to join to my current downpipe, im pretty sure its just stock de cat pipe, but i cant get under to measure it. My plan is to get one of the connectors i have linked below but ask for it to be a welded join one side to join to my flexi then the other side a clamp on fitting to secure to my original downpipe after i chop a bit off. But i dont know what size to ask for with this clamp on connector, anyone help? Or even suggest a better idea if you have one? Cheers

edit: link lol http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Adapte...3367b8ffb3
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Depends, you'll need to measure...

Some are 2 1/4", some are 2" from what I've seen.

Though a little birdy told me you may not have a standard exhaust for long, which means 2 1/4" Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
You might be right, just need to see how much cash i have left after i have the td04 sorted then i will be paying our mutual friend a visit Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I'd be modifying it all for that exhaust... Don't go fannying around trying to make it fit on a stock one, that ones already good to go... You then don't have to buy two adapters etc...

Also means you don't have to chop any more of the exhaust down, you can go straight from 2 1/2 to 2 1/4 and stay that way...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Thats a fair shout actually. I'll buy all the bits to fit that exhaust, I know the exhaust system in question is 2.25 all the way through so would that mean the internal diameter of sleeve connector end thing has to be 2.25?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, MIJ are really good, you want it to be able to sleeve over 2.25"...

Just be warned, if you're putting a flexi on, ask if MIJ will make it so that the adapter rather than having a clamp on both sides, has just a very slightly flared join that will sleeve over the end of the 2.25" flexi, then you can just run a bead of weld around it since the amount of space on the flexi is tiny and doesn't cover up the "slits" on the adapter meaning it leaks... Weld the flexi to the 90* mandrel and then you've got a "downpipe" with a flared end that can clamp onto the rest of the exhaust...

If that makes sense?
Thanks given by:
Thats sort of what im doing but im having one side that will clamp then other with no slits so i can just weld it onto the flexi Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
All standard exhausts I've measured that are genuine are 2 1/8th or 56mm
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 01:54 PM)Tom Wrote: Right guys i've ordered a 2.5inch 90degree bend to replace my exhaust elbow and a flexi to go onto that but now i need a piece that goes onto the flexi to join to my current downpipe, im pretty sure its just stock de cat pipe, but i cant get under to measure it. My plan is to get one of the connectors i have linked below but ask for it to be a welded join one side to join to my flexi then the other side a clamp on fitting to secure to my original downpipe after i chop a bit off. But i dont know what size to ask for with this clamp on connector, anyone help? Or even suggest a better idea if you have one? Cheers

edit: link lol http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Adapte...3367b8ffb3

I'm going to be doing this soon, just wondering what thickness pipe you went for, and what material its made from? I don't know how thick it would need to be to be sufficiently welded to the adaptor plate..
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Adapter plate im going for 8mm or 10mm i think just need to find some lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
8 or 10mm!!

Bloody hell!

I went for 6mm and I thought I was being excessive!!!
Thanks given by:
Cheers again Ruan haha might just start all my threads with fao ruan!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 04:56 PM)Tom Wrote: Adapter plate im going for 8mm or 10mm i think just need to find some lol

What thickness is the wall of the pipe you've gone for though? The only 90 degree bends I've found are 1-2 mm thick and stainless. Not sure whether you'd be able to get a good enough weld with 1-2mm ? May need a stainless adaptor plate as well unless I can find a mild bend
Thanks given by:
You can weld stainless and mild no problem... I've done it a couple times and once i done it iflipped the car 3 times through a hedge and it was still on there strong lol I'll grab a link for you now gimme 2 secs Smile

Linky: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jetex-Universa...3f1fcc1c72

Thats best for the job because its a tight turn to get your exhaust down the tunnel nicely Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
just do a screamer pipe...simples
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You realise a screamer pipe and your actual exhaust are 2 different things?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
yeah but if you want noise?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I want a legal mot passing exhaust that will sit under the car and not cause trouble lol yet be well flowing and help promote power!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
dangit...sorry....reading a different forum at same time and replied to wrong thread....duhhhhh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 11:36 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: dangit...sorry....reading a different forum at same time and replied to wrong thread....duhhhhh

Yeah bugger off lol.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
sorry guys....wasnt even meant to reply on this...was just reading...damn "smart" phone...

sodding off
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Tehe.
[Image: 20121228_101014.jpg]
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
luvly jubbly...ebay?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Oh yes.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
This is just what I need to pull my finger out and do. Be sure to keep take plenty of pictures of where to go next! Smile
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 10:47 PM)Tom Wrote: You can weld stainless and mild no problem... I've done it a couple times and once i done it iflipped the car 3 times through a hedge and it was still on there strong lol I'll grab a link for you now gimme 2 secs Smile

Linky: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jetex-Universa...3f1fcc1c72

Thats best for the job because its a tight turn to get your exhaust down the tunnel nicely Smile

Cheers. Yeah I've welded the two together before but wasn't sure whether it would be good enough for all the heat/vibration.
Thanks given by:
I was talking to my mate that does the welding and hes coming to my house to do it instead of using his generator just to try and get that bit more penetration! In other news my fancy reducer i ordered yesturday or the day before has been delivered already! Absolutely amazed with there service!
[Image: 20121229_130829.jpg]
[Image: 20121229_131041.jpg]
[Image: 20121229_131052.jpg]
Just need the flexi now. Then onto finding an oil line.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
MIJ are awesome, eh!
Thanks given by:
Definately! Told them what i wanted they made it and got it to me in like 2days!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Flexi shown up today! Not the same as the picture (that annoys me) but o well should fit fine Smile
[Image: 20130102_223032.jpg]
Just waiting on my welding friend to get some gas now Big Grin
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by: