boost gauge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boost gauge
Can i plumb a boost gauge into the wast gate pipe compresser end insted ov the intercooler hose btw car is dewastgate
Thanks given by:
Plumbing the sensor direct to the turbo wouldnt give you the best results then all the trouble of having to drill and tap the housing.
what sort of gauge are you planning to use, i.e digital or analogue, does the car have a front mount intercooler or standard topmount?
for the most accurate readings of what boost pressures are been fed into the engine you want the pickup sensor as close to the intake manifold as possible.
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
IIRC the boost would read different at ie the turbo housin and inlet manifold, i thought about doing this but just blanked the turbo venturi off, and plumbed into my adaptor

id be interested to see what the differences would be tbh as i have a spare guage i may just try as a temp measure and see
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Car on standed topmount the turbo a t2 and the wastegate hose is blanked off just thort about trying it but if it is best near to inlet what abput drilling into the plastic on the intercooler near the inlet and somehow sealing it dont realy want to put it in the conpensater hose think it looks a little messy lol
Thanks given by:
could possibly drill and tap into the far end of inlet manifold where the d seal is but way away from the seal and boltholes, wouldnt recommend drilling the plastic as unsure how youd seal it, other than that you could put a small pieceof metal piping in the top rubber hose and tap that
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If your still using the topmount it makes it alot easier.
next question, lucas or bosch fuel pump?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 11:10 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: If your still using the topmount it makes it alot easier.
next question, lucas or bosch fuel pump?

Currently on a lucas but just got a bosch and injectors for it but ive not put it on till i can find the boost leak lots ov hissing and cant find a leak thats y ive got boost gauge to put in mate
Thanks given by:
ah i getcha, most likely place for a boost leak with a topmount will be the seal between the intercooler and inlet manifold. take the intercooler off and check the seal for cracks etc if you havnt already.
as for plumbing in the boostgauge there will be a rubber hose coming off the intercooler that connects the the fuel pump, this is the boost compensator that increases/decreases fuel according to boost pressure. im not atall familier with lucas pumps, but on a bosch the hose from the intercooler goes to the cap of the pump where the lda pin is. the best place to mount the boost gauge is put a T piece between the intercooler and the fuel pump, you can run a hose off the T piece to your boost gauge, or if its a digital gauge run the hose off to the sensor.
If thats a bit hard to understand i can take a picture of what i did for my boost gauge on my daily
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 11:50 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: ah i getcha, most likely place for a boost leak with a topmount will be the seal between the intercooler and inlet manifold. take the intercooler off and check the seal for cracks etc if you havnt already.
as for plumbing in the boostgauge there will be a rubber hose coming off the intercooler that connects the the fuel pump, this is the boost compensator that increases/decreases fuel according to boost pressure. im not atall familier with lucas pumps, but on a bosch the hose from the intercooler goes to the cap of the pump where the lda pin is. the best place to mount the boost gauge is put a T piece between the intercooler and the fuel pump, you can run a hose off the T piece to your boost gauge, or if its a digital gauge run the hose off to the sensor.
If thats a bit hard to understand i can take a picture of what i did for my boost gauge on my daily
Ye ive had everything off manifold gasket intercooler just cant find it and im no stranger to these engines mate just dident want to put it in compensater hose as i want the best reading of boost as i can. Only thing i could think ov is turbo mite b f%%ked thats why its hissing alot al go put boost gauge in this after noon and post a boost reading thankd for replies
Thanks given by:
the inlet hose could've come off the turbo? if the turbo itself was knackered it would be making a siren sort of noise on boost and drinking oil
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 12:05 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: the inlet hose could've come off the turbo? if the turbo itself was knackered it would be making a siren sort of noise on boost and drinking oil

Rite boost got put in and14 psi dispite being dewastgate so deside to pull on the wastegate arm and it moves about 5 mm quiet easy with a gud pull and stop witch woult indicate that the wase gate is stuck open any ideas how
Thanks given by:
Yeah that would certainly explain the hissing sound. as for how it happened your guess is as good as mine :/
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Well my mate said carbon build up in exhaust housing witch makes perfect sence to me
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boost Gauge Decisions CJRODELL 7 2,015 22-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: CJRODELL
  Boost gauge help? Ryan'dolan 2 1,071 20-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Piggy
  Boost gauge T-piece clarkey2010 13 2,443 29-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Last Post: ADV_93