Legal advice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legal advice?
Ok, i have an issue that i would like to get some advice on, and figured here would be the best place to start, especially as we seem to have some people on here that are knowledgeable about legal things.

Some of you may remember my old China 1.4. Now this car was bought from me by some "interesting individuals" (Read: pikeys) and scrapped, and despite their appearances, went about business in the correct manner, ie. gave me all the relevant details for the v5c, which i then personally put in the post (so i know it got sent off). This happened in March this year

Then, when the tax was due on the 1.4, i received the usual form to retax or sorn the vehicle. so i rang the DVLA. They informed me that they had not received the v5c informing them of the scrapping, so advised me to send the tax renewal form back to them with a covering letter explaining that i'd sent the v5c back, and what date i sold the car. So i did.

I then received a confirmation letter dated 6th sept, saying they'd updated the records. Sweet!

Unfortunately, that was not the end of the matter. I received a letter last week summoning me to Watford magistrates court on 21/01/2013, saying that on 19/06/2012, i was the registered keeper of the 1.4, which "did not meet the insurance requirements".

Now, my question is this....

Have i got a leg to stand on here, or should i just go with it and hope for the best? Baring in mind, between getting the tax renewal form, and the summons, i have heard not a bean from the DVLA or anyone else on the matter.

Please help, i could do without this to start 2013 off! Sad
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Go to court and explain the situation. That's all you can do really. We had a similar thing. Luckily it was only several parking fines and once we explained what happened, they contacted the DVLA who confirmed that we had told them we were no longer responsible after X date.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hmm...great. Wouldnt mind, but couldnt they have chosen a closer court for me to go to? Watford is over 2 hours away! Confused

What a start to the new year. Especially as HMRC kindly relieved me of £652 this month as well. Wonderous. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Claim expences or try and sort it over the phone so there doesnt need to be a court hearing?
Thanks given by:
As Niall said, go to Court with the document from 6th September, and any other documents that you have (hopefully the covering letter explaining that the car was scrapped?).

Watford is around my way Smile On the plus side, it's Ace cafe that night so you can make the most of your journey Wink
Thanks given by:
You can apply to go to a nearer court. Iirc they will just use the nearest court to the offence. Not quite sure how to go about that though but as Scott said, go to ace that evening!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
lol didnt realise ace was that night as well! Maybe i will just go to Watford then, And yes Scott, i still have a copy of the covering letter with the date of transfer on it. Also got a video of the car being towed away (which is timestamped), but im not sure how much use that'll be.
Thanks given by:
I doubt you'll need it (given that you have the covering letter still) but there's no harm in bringing it along with you on a USB stick and/or CD Smile
Thanks given by:
Hmm....might just stick it on a USB stick then, just to be on the safe side. Better to have it and not need it, than not have it, and they want it! lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal advice rocker8742 4 1,621 08-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Last Post: rocker8742
  Road Legal Quad Bike insurance? Dum-Dum 34 23,719 30-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Last Post: w3526602
  Barely legal drivers puggyhdi 58 27,145 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Poodle