Best options?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best options?
Couple of issues im trying to overcome currently, hoping to get some decent ideas from you guys.

Firstly, I managed to snap 1 of the outlets on the radiator, a small 1 on the top connecting the return pipe to the header tank. I've botched this back together (gotta love superglue, 1000s of uses) but think it will only be a matter of time before this goes again and i dont really want to be stranded. Priced up radiators, but they range massively in price. Im talking cheapest £45 up to £150 for standard units, whats the difference? Would it be worth looking for aftermarket upgrades?

Secondly, my clutch slips in first, second and third when im accellerating, feels like the wheels are spinning but not gaining any speed, until it bites which can be a little unpredictable. Again, so many options. I want to start tuning the car a bit more but i dont want to have to change this again in the near future if a new 1 wont hold extra torque, any recommendations?

Cheers.
Thanks given by:
A new valeo clutch will hold upto a stage 2. If its slipping in 1st 2nd and 3rd, its f*cked change it. Unless your running so much power the clutch isnt slipping its just wheel spin? Lol.

I dont know anything about radiators tbh.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Not running that much power, only tuned the lucas (boo hiss) pump slightly and running about 16psi. Can probably tune the pump a lot more before it smokes too bad... Will get it changed probably the same time as the rad but i know nothing about either part tbh.
Thanks given by:
Radiator: Hunt through your local scrapyard, I picked up a dirt cheap Nissens one!

Clutch: On a DT, would have thought you'd be fine with a standard one, so I'd just replace that like for like.
Thanks given by:
For the rad try the scrappers, I found Carl a fairly new nissens rad in a citroen Xsara.

As for the clutch, depends what you want long term really, but as Tom says, a new valeo is good for stage 2, but much above that it'll slip.

Mine just about holds 170ish BHP and 270ish lb-ft, but has "off" days when it slips.. and doesn't like being abused.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, long term plans are to do some proper tuning but short term probably a stage 2 150bhp ish. Scrappy it is for the rad, am i right in thinking it can be off anything with the same engine? 306, 405, xsara, xantia etc? Is there any difference if the car has a/c or not? Could i go for an HDi rad?

Will go for the standard clutch, if and when i get to tuning it to the spec i want if it slips il deal with it then. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
On a phase 2, IIRC any rad off either a 1.9xud or a 2.0hdi will fit, as long as it has the same header tank (i.e. not a phase 1 rad)

And they're the same for non aircon models
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Getton with that clutch though! Must be near enough undrivable if it slips in 3 gears :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
the only difference in rads is the expansion/filler bottle. phase 1 306 and 405 have the rad as one complete unit with the filler bottle, phase 2 and after had the separate expansion tank
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(22-12-2012, 09:02 PM)Tom Wrote: Getton with that clutch though! Must be near enough undrivable if it slips in 3 gears :p

Driving carefully at the moment, slips when im caning it.

(22-12-2012, 09:01 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: On a phase 2, IIRC any rad off either a 1.9xud or a 2.0hdi will fit, as long as it has the same header tank (i.e. not a phase 1 rad)

Cool, will go and have a look about, plenty about i would have thought. If i can get it off an HDi it may kill 2 birds with 1 stone as i want the gearbox too :p
Thanks given by:
(22-12-2012, 09:01 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: On a phase 2, IIRC any rad off either a 1.9xud or a 2.0hdi will fit, as long as it has the same header tank (i.e. not a phase 1 rad)

There are loads ov diferant types ov rad phase one and two are differant but in bottom left corner of rad theres either a circlip or the clip that turns to undo the forks that hold the hose that goes to the back ov the block.
Thanks given by: