Paint. Water and 2k

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paint. Water and 2k
Anyone know if i can paint my car with 2k etch primer then waterbase high build(not sure it you even get waterbase highbuild?) then 2k basecote then 2k lacquer?

Its the waterbase im worried about
Thanks given by:
Iv not dabbled in waterbased paint before but I think the water base would go over 2k fine, but 2k over water based will react.
Thanks given by:
That should be fine, the primer is basically a solid being sprayed anyway so as long as it's dried properly you'll be all good. As long as your base/clear stage is the same type of paint you shouldn't have any issues
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
But all lacquer is 2k. so how can that be put over water?
Thanks given by:
As said, water based primer will be fine with 2k clear as long as it's fully dried. The problems would arise with water based basecoat and 2k clear.

My spray shop told me the basecoat doesn't need activated anyway when using 2k base, so should lay fine on your primer and the activator in the clear won't react with the primer once dry
Thanks given by:
I bought the laquer and bacecote together and i asked at the time it they work together and i was told there are fine

Edit: both are 2k
Thanks given by:
Yeah BC/CC will be fine, i mean the primer, it's designed to be unreactive. As long as you let it cure properly whatever primer you use it should be fine.
Thanks given by:
Thats what i was hoping for. I dont think i can get 2k high build in the local paint shop, ebay would be an option but i dont have time to wait for postage
Thanks given by:
Not always the case tho. I do know of primers reacting with topcoat and a isolator coat needing to be used
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2012, 10:29 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: But all lacquer is 2k.

Umm.... Pretty sure you can get other lacquers.

Edit: Infact, no you can definitely get other types of lacquer.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paint on paint removal MRiches 6 2,312 28-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Choppin