headgasket change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
headgasket change
any tips and advice on taking the head off an xud i know abit about mechanics but aint got the money for a garage to do it so any advice on doing a headgasket change

cheers
Thanks given by:
Relativly easy job make sure a metal head gasket 5 notch is used its a must. Other than that i followed the haynes manual
Thanks given by:
Why would a 5 notch be a must?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Well, you're in for a day of pain, suffering, agony, blood, sweat and tears, wondering why you are living and why you are bothering....

But in the end, its worth it Big Grin

Don't forget about the dowel in the engine mount arm. Seems a popular one to forget about! (Talking from experience)
Thanks given by:
Ment to say the steel one is a must doesent realy matter if its 3 or 5 notch had a had experience with those corky looking ones
Thanks given by:
Mani's off, front & rear coolant hoses, thermostat block on front right, lock off timing, un-tension cambelt and slide it off (if you're not changing any of it, leave the belt to one side, and do the pivot nut back up on tensioner, so when you take the nut that adjusts it out of the head, it stays in the slack position so it don't fall off and make the spring fly out..), the dowel in the side of the head on the engine mount - take out the bolt (13mm) then m10 bolt into the dowel with some big/thick washer(s) so when you screw into it, it will want to come out with the bolt, if not, just pull the fucker out with some brute force, injector lines off the injectors, take off glow plug feed, take off pipe on the vacuum pump, bracket on the crank end that holds a hose on (next to the thermostat block/fuel filter and is a 13mm on the side of the head) - (from memory), undo head bolts in opposite order of tightening sequence, lift the head and take the locating dowel out that came with it.

Reverse what you did, cleaning the faces or getting head skimmed. What ever floats your boat.

Tightening order:

8 4 1 5 9
7 3 2 6 10

Stage 1: 20nm
Stage 2: 60nm
Stage 3: 220 degrees

Job done.

Probably missed the odd bit, but most of it's there.

I suppose I should of just bullet pointed it...
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Ok nice one will have a crack at it wen its a bit warmer outside

Cheers for the comments much appreciated
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2012, 12:46 PM)dec-66 Wrote: Ok nice one will have a crack at it wen its a bit warmer outside

....you're going to get pretty warm anyway lol

Good luck!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2012, 12:46 PM)dec-66 Wrote: Ok nice one will have a crack at it wen its a bit warmer outside

Don't talk wet!

I've been currently outside in the freezing cold at night replacing rods...

Man up. Itwasntme teehee
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
haha i will man up eventually
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MLS headgasket enquiries. 205dtub 14 3,945 18-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Last Post: vinny
  Headgasket failure? AdamInNi 3 1,307 31-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: AdamInNi
  headgasket ? Teddy 6 1,824 23-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Paul Baldwin