ROY The DT Warhorse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROY The DT Warhorse
Well with Darren's breaking thread, and the 3-60 thread being resurrected (oh how I remember that being THE benchmark test for the DT on the 'other' forum!), I got all reminiscent about my old DT wagon.

So, I decided to *whispers* log into the 'other' forum to read through my project thread.... And I have to pay for the privilege to do so!!!

Anyway, after some hunting, I've found some of my old photos and videos of the car in various guises, so I thought I'd stick up a long-time-post-sale project thread for the car!!

So it started life, the day I bought it as this:

[Image: Pug1.jpg]

[Image: Pug3.jpg]

I then bought some clones:

[Image: DSC00013-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC000142.jpg]

[Image: DSC00008.jpg]

I then started hunting for power.... which is where I met Darren!!

Having bought a Bosch & injectors, and then a GT15 turbo (which at the time with our limited knowledge was actually touted as the best turbo and an upgrade from the T2/k14s!!!), I organised a visit to Lobbland, what would turn out to be the first of many!!

Darren was a complete legend and managed (with my limited knowledge and help at the time) to do both the turbo & bosch conversion all in one day, complete with a cheeky stage1 tune Smile

I then bought a boost gauge and manual boost controller to continue the tinkering;

[Image: manualboostcontroller.jpg]

[Image: Boostgaugeinstall.jpg]

Not bodged on AT all... Wink

This was still rolling on the stock exhaust too, but videos of 0-60 and 30-70 were duly video'd;

[Image: 0-60.jpg]

[Image: 060fast.jpg]

[Image: 30703rd.jpg]

I then managed to get hold of some lowering springs, and disappeared down to Darren's for a go at lowering the torsion bars etc. This was a bit of a mission in the end, but the results;

[Image: 2BlackDturbos6.jpg]

[Image: 2BlackDturbos1.jpg]

I then managed to get hold of a powerflow turbo-back exhaust. Now unbeknownst to me at the time, the only thing preventing the tiny little gt15 from producing more boost was the restrictive stock exhaust. Taking that off upped the boost to about 28psi.... It didn't last long!!!

Pic of me on the way to Coombe, having had 15minutes sleep in 72hours trying to fix a damaged high pressure oil feed to the turbo.

[Image: meclub306actionday.jpg]

The car did a grand total of 230miles between fitting the new exhaust, and doing this.....

[Image: gt15impellor.jpg]

So I slapped on the Ko3 I had kicking about, which wierdly squealed on full boost. So I drove very slowly down to cornwall via Devon, picked up a T2 en route, and slapped that on at Darrens! (Can you spot the theme emerging here?!)

By this time, I'd met Ruan, who was rocking the Micra (many MANY videos of abuse of this on youtube...!)

Anyway, after much persuading, we finally managed to get him to buy a DT Tongue

You know the history of his car, but somewhere along the line we all decided to clean the cars and then go to Truro for some photos...

[Image: BlackDtmeet1.jpg]

I think Ruan has the high-res ones; mine are shocking lol!

Well by this time, Darren was on the serious hunt for power. I forget how many turbos he'd popped by this point, but I think we had just about got to the stage where pump internals were being looked at....

After some persuasion, Darren converted my pump to an 11mm, complete with a shimmed governor....

With the following results:

[Image: DT11mm0-90.jpg]

[Image: 11mm20-90.jpg]

Not bad considering it was on a T2 and tmic still, and bearing in mind we were just slapping bits from other pumps together and hoping for the best. No Dynamic advance/modification of the IPP or any such things!!

I took my mates surfing in it too!

[Image: dtsurfmobile.jpg]

I was never that into detailing....or cleaning with this car.... so it tended to get VERY dirty Tongue

[Image: IMG00034-20091219-1614.jpg]

[Image: IMG00022-20091217-1248.jpg]

I finally managed to get round to fitting a ph3 rear bumper to it:

[Image: FittingRearBumper.jpg]

Then after finishing uni, moving back to hampshire and getting a job, I gave it one last clean:

[Image: DSC05230.jpg]

[Image: DSC05247.jpg]

[Image: DSC05246.jpg]

[Image: DSC05241.jpg]

[Image: DSC05254.jpg]

And sold it to Phil (4Way).

Genuinely watched him drive down the road with a lump in my throat. So wish I could've kept it, but I was tempted over to the world of petrol...

Anyway, epic car, some amazing times had, and some of my best friends made through that heap of french tin!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Haha these really were the days, would do anything to go back! Hours on end spent pising with oiley dervs with no money at all, gotta love it.

Its always good to see the cars still going though, proper workhorse!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2013, 05:40 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Haha these really were the days, would do anything to go back! Hours on end spent pising with oiley dervs with no money at all, gotta love it.

Its always good to see the cars still going though, proper workhorse!

They really were. I'd go back to being a student with no money to be able to have the time and lack of responsibility to do what we used to back then man! Was so much fun. I'll be watching the field car ragging videos later lol

Definitely good to see mine's still going; hopefully phil can steal all this and put it in a project thread along with what he's done to it since! Smile
Thanks given by:
[Image: Pug3.jpg]
seriously??? finger over the lens???

[Image: DSC00013-1.jpg]

also genuinely thought this was jacked up at the rear, lol @ tractor height!

but looks good and always nice to go through the old stuff. considering the basic knowledge back then the car looks surprisingly quick in those videos, and to think that was before what everyone knows and does now!
Thanks given by:
lol Dude, I was grabbing a snap on the way to work the morning after I'd got it! I wasn't concentrating, tbh I'm surprised they even came out that well in the first place!!!

And yeah the ride height was fairly chronic when I first bought it! Looked even funnier on the 14" harriers with that height!!

And yeah it was pretty good. for some reason Ruan's was always faster though, which never ceased to annoy me as he used the K14 that the car originally came from. No idea why, but as with most dts, there are a million reasons, including boost leaks, turbo age/condition, injector condition etc etc etc.! Too many variables lol!!

you can badly see when the heatsoak starts to take effect though. It's really tailing off by the time I hit top of 3rd...
Thanks given by:
waaahhhhhh darrens car D: Good to know some history of the car and especially how members got to know each other.
Thanks given by:
Heh this was back in the days where it all started, in the time I knew Ed, it went from reading stuff on the internet and trying it, to realising that 90% of what you read on the internet is crap, and only way to make progress is to just try it yourself, and thats how it all begun, back then the non laggy gt15 was all the blaze, and this was before anyone had any money at all, so was all being done super cheap / welder up ourselves kinda thing, max bang per buck, which is really what the XUD is all about at heart I guess.

I have a tonne of photos from back then, will have a look later on and see if I can dig some out, The thread does make me think i should put an xud back in my shell and revert it all to stock , sell rest of bits as planned and at least then keep the old dog on the road Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(03-04-2013, 06:02 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: The thread does make me think i should put an xud back in my shell and revert it all to stock , sell rest of bits as planned and at least then keep the old dog on the road Smile

My work here is done Big Grin

But seriously Darren, epic times were had, and now you've explored the limit you could have your car with a stage 1 tune as a cheap veg daily! The car is too much of an icon to be scrapped!!!

Btw, I'm trying to swing a trip down to cornwall late May. hoping I can come down and catch up with you! It's been far too long!!
Thanks given by:
Would be great to see you Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
no homo!
Thanks given by:
You sure you guys arent gay? haha
You forget how bloody high 306s are as stock (yes and mine before any one else says it! Tongue )

Ed can you really afford the fuel in a 6 down there?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
He knows better than to turn up in my yard in a gti6, think the last time he came in it he parked it in layby up the road and walked down my lane, LOL
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
haha brilliant. Ill make sure if i ever go down to Cornwall i dont go within a few miles of your place then Tongue

Mind you, if i was going down to cornwall, sod taking the 6. Would rather take the kia. More comfortable and cheaper

/toms306
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
ah nvm didnt read whole post Tongue
Thanks given by:
good times....I remember good times with little fezas and mates raggin the hell out of them to go surfing etc...ah youth
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cornwall bowling meet? aha
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by: