TD04 Clearnace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TD04 Clearnace
Hi guys,

So finally got round to fitting my td04 off a scooby. Had already made up all my adapters etc by just looking at a t2 on a manifold, but today got round to dropping it into my engine...and problems! I've welded the exhaust downpipe at the wrong angle causing it to hit the gear linkage, not overly though worried as I'll just cut and reweld at the weekend.

The other issue is clearance on the steering column. I HAVE clearance..but only just, maybe 10mm, which I fear isn't enough when the engine will be going. So how much do I actually need, and what would my best way be round this. I'm thinking I can grind a bit off the turbo housing where the actuator used to bolt in, this might give me 20-25mm. That enough? Only thing I can think of then is to shim the top engine mount forward a tad?

Last question, my oil in feed is nearly horizontal! I know this should be vertical, but how important is it? To clock the cartridge do I have to take the big circlip off at the compressor side? Already done the hotside so can do it again if needs be, but want to try and keep the compressor outlet in the same position.

Sorry for such a long post and I will get a proper thread going soon!

A few pics of clearance although it looks worse than it is!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
Dammmmmmn thats close :o
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
How the hell have you got it that far over and you should have hit the bulkhead with a big hammer to move it out of the way a bit before you put the engine in Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Get engine wiped back out and get sledge hammer in haha loads of room then Smile
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
Thanks given by:
@mark: I've the turbo in a near enough stock position as far as I can tell..its just a bit bigger than stock!

@stu: its not quite as bad as it looks...Hammer will probably be employed..its the steering column that im most concerned about just!

Going to trim that wastegate bracket on the turbo, bita a hammer, clock the centre cartridge a bit more ( anyone any tips on this?) and hopefully away I go. What is the minimum clearance i need does anyone know? I know itl be different for every car, but general rule of thumb?

Going a whole weekend without a car is shocking, 3 and a half hr bus and train journey on fri night, and another 4 hours tomorrow..hope this turbo's worth it!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
Same clearance to the steering rack as mine, and my exhaust side is bigger, and I've done a bit of action with sister sledge and retextured the bulkhead and it fits with no rubbing.

You'll find that the housing actually moves away and down when on/off the throttle... When it's static, that's almost it's worst point. That's what I've found anyway.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Oil drain is more important than oil feed to have at >45 degrees, but nearly horizontal is far from ideal. The turbo needs good lubrication, especially if you plan on pushing her. If this isn't water-cooled, then the oil is it's coolant as well, so pretty important to get right if you want the turbo to last long.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
*facepalm* I know how big they are, there is one attached to my engine Wink oil drain needs to be straight down, oil feed requires a custom line making. Oh and its coming off again to clock it round, there is no way your doing it on the car!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, I'm getting closer to getting it going now.

Have the centre cartridge rotated so oil lines are on the vertical, turbo in, and everything built back up again, just need to do a bit of modification at the exhaust tomorrow, bleed everything and away I go..hopefully! Having grounf off that wee bit on the turbo I'm happy enough with clearance, and haven't had to take out the sledge!

Bit concerned about my wastegate sticking as its not really right but will see what happens and hope for the best!
Thanks given by:
My wastegate is welded shut so I wouldn't worry as long as it sticks in the closed position Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:My wastegate is welded shut so I wouldn't worry as long as it sticks in the closed position Smile

Yea, thats the plan, if it doesn't play ball it will be forced to stay shut one way or another!
Thanks given by:
Good good, at least we are on the same lines lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Ah i thought you meant the oil lines themselves as opposed to the cartridge, yeah cartridge definitely needs to be upright lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So finally got all mounted and built up again on wed. First run didn't exactly go to plan with the o-ring on the high pressure feed busting and loosing the entire contents of my sump over the road! That sorted though and its going again.

Exhaust didn't quite line up so put a flexi in there and de-cat last night and thats it close to sorted.

So few wee issues to sort yet, don't think my wastegate is working right, might be sticking but havn't really played with boost yet, getting about 10psi atm.

The other issue is actually more annoying. When under acceleration there's sort of a raspy noise coming from brake servo area. No thinking its maybe pipes rubbing against the bulkhead, I'm using standard air pipes but they don't quite reach up high enough to bolt on to the intercooler and are just sitting down the back of the engine. I tried to cable tie these tight but it didn't really work and noise is still there! Anyone any suggestions of what this could be, or better still how to stop it!
Thanks given by:
turbo hitting the cross member of the bulkhead is the source of your noise, just call it on boost engine stabilisation Tongue

But yes, its annoying! should have hit it with a hammer more, I have the same issue, need to sort it before it eats my compressor housing but its a turbo off job at least!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:turbo hitting the cross member of the bulkhead is the source of your noise, just call it on boost engine stabilisation Tongue

But yes, its annoying! should have hit it with a hammer more, I have the same issue, need to sort it before it eats my compressor housing but its a turbo off job at least!

Ahh balls if it is..didn't hit it with the hammer at all :oops:
It didn't make it at first, drove 30 odd miles before it started it though.
I must get in under it and rev it, take a look.

Also decided that my actuator is useless and is going to have to be wedged shut for now!
Thanks given by:
If its anything like mine it won't do it unless its under load it will be touching on the compressor side or on the wastegate as IIRC you have used the gt15 manifold haven't you so you could get the actuator in?

might not be that but thats what I would put my money on mate, have a look, if you watch the gap and rev it if it gets really close then chances are that it will touch while on boost Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Driving it last night I really want to say its not the compressor hitting, or not hitting hard anyway. Its like a fluttering sound nearly, coming from brake servo area. So thinking it might be air pipes maybe hitting off brake pipes or something.Whatever it is it isn't a hard knock, just really really annoying! Could be tuesday before I get a proper look at it, but atm I'm planning on taking air pipes off completely, see what happens then.

As with my manifold, yeap, went with the gt15 manifold, mainly because thats what Anto used in his thread, and as he says, leaves the turbo sitting in a very much stock position. Actuatuor is completely useless, screwed the boost compensator right in last night, only 10psi. As I thought might be the case, my flimsy brackets are probably just flexing, alowing the wastegate to open whenever it so feels...a well, another job to keep me busy at night!

If I get a chance I'll try and get the car washed and a bit of a project thread going soon!
Thanks given by:
It only just touches and you get a vibrating noise behind your feet when you come off throttle and when fully on boost with mine, not sure how yours will sit as I'm on the other manifold, exhaust is a perfect fit though so its in the right place. Bet that's what it is though Smile

Would be nice to have an actuator and actually know what boost I'm running lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Not the exhaust either :-D .... It hits off the gearstick!

Exhaust would have been in a standard enough place, but I made up a custom adapter instead of trying to weld a cast elbow to a mild steel plate, and might have got the angles a wee bit out, hence had to make up a flexi section.

mark_airey Wrote:Would be nice to have an actuator and actually know what boost I'm running lol

Have you not even a boost gauge!

I'm yet to be convinced on the td04, hoping it'l be better once I get a bit more boost but currently it doesn't seem half as sharp as my k14 was at 25-30psi, it wasn't going to last much longer though lol
Thanks given by:
Lol once you get it working correctly, the td04 will blow the k14 out of the water.....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:Lol once you get it working correctly, the td04 will blow the k14 out of the water.....

^^ this

I have a boost gauge but it ends at 30psi lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
darrenjlobb Wrote:Lol once you get it working correctly, the td04 will blow the k14 out of the water.....

^^ this

I have a boost gauge but it ends at 30psi lol

Well lets hope so! Cheers for all the help so far guys!
Thanks given by:
what do you need too fit a TD04 as i will have one come saturday pal Smile
thanks stewart
Thanks given by:
If you look on .net Anto did a fairly good write up on how he did his, I did similar.

I took a gt15 manifold, made an adapter plate to bolt to it, which the turbo then bolted to. Exhaust side, I've seen people using the standard elbow mounted on a adapter plate to fit the td04. I went completely custom and welded up my own elbow, this probably isn't ideal. Oil lines, I used standard oil line, with just an adapter to fit it into the td04. Threads on it are something like m10, whereas k14 etc is m12. Oil return is handy enough.

Overall, I took a bit of time making up the brackets etc, then fitting it went badly 'cos I my exhaust adapter wasn't 100% and had no welder, had a few clearance issues, and still have an, as yet undiagnosed, annoying rattle!
Thanks given by:
Getting tempted to fit one meself.

would it be possibe at all to make it fit without bashing the bulkhead?
Thanks given by:
Should be possible Sweeney, just got to mount it at the right angle Smile
Thanks given by:
hmmm, seen a td04 for £40 not a million miles away either. . . . .
Thanks given by:
apparently with the gt15 manifold it sits lower than with the T2/K14 which should give you enough clearance............

@sweeney, get it bought, mine was £35 :geek:
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
have a k03 sitting there, think its same fanny mould as the GT15?

hmm, dont have time to be f*cking about with the car at the minute though
Thanks given by: