idle and running issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
idle and running issues
basically my gti6 is being typically french and not running right lol. It runs sound 99% of the time but as soon as i get in traffic or put my foot down for a little bit then go back to being slow cause of traffic...it either cuts off soon as i engage the clutch or it will rev by its self going up 2grand and back down constantly or it will stay stuck at 1500 and it goes very jerky putting the throttle on and off.

I've given it a service still does it, cleaned n checked all the sensors still does it....i just want to see if anybodys had the same prob and can tell me what it is before i waste money and time.

If anybodys got any suggestions would be a big help...
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the very common failing Idle control valve. If you look at the inlet pipe to the throttle body, you will see a smaller (about 1" O/D) pipe coming off of it. if you follow it, it will lead to a black plastic elbow on the manifold just before the far right runner to the head. on this elbow is the ICV. You can try cleaning it (take it off, give it a good cleaning with wd40 or brake cleaner) but generally once they are gone, they are gone. Cleaning will only last a matter of weeks before it starts playing up again. Cheap ebay copies are also useless. Its either a brand new genuine magnatelli marelli unit (£80ish) or a known good second hand one.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
ICV defo...quite cheap on the bay
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
thanx peeps saved me alot of hassle there lol.....i was thinking bout 10 different things it could of been....one reason why i've had more diesels than petrol lol... But deep down i'm a dirty dirv girl at heart lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Idle Issues... 1.8 16v Ash J 15 2,051 25-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  ICV/TPS/VSS idle issues? lewisdmz 8 2,271 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Last Post: lewisdmz