heaters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heaters
hi, my heaters are really crap take ages get warm, with it getting cold now i need sort it out.

iv changed my thermostat and my engine gets upto temperature perefectly fine.

is my heater matrix clogged up?

i have bled it by the bleed screw near where the thermostat is located, im thinking i have missed one for the heater matrix or somthing?
Thanks given by:
sounds like it could be a clogged heater matrix. easiest way to check is to follow the pipes from the engine into the matrix, check if both sides are hot. if it turns out that one side is hot and the other cold, you could try disconnecting the hoses where they go into the bulkhead and switching them round the other way and running the engine at about 2k rpm for 5 minutes, this is usually enough to clear out a small blockage as the reverse flow dislodges some build up. make sure you change the hoses back the right way around after and keep the coolant level topped up while bleeding any air out of the system.
The hoses can be a bit of a bastard to get off as they have those retainer clip things holding them on, I found a pair of needlenose molegrips and a lever bar very useful to get them off.
Hope this helps Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2012, 12:39 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: sounds like it could be a clogged heater matrix. easiest way to check is to follow the pipes from the engine into the matrix, check if both sides are hot. if it turns out that one side is hot and the other cold, you could try disconnecting the hoses where they go into the bulkhead and switching them round the other way and running the engine at about 2k rpm for 5 minutes, this is usually enough to clear out a small blockage as the reverse flow dislodges some build up. make sure you change the hoses back the right way around after and keep the coolant level topped up while bleeding any air out of the system.
The hoses can be a bit of a bastard to get off as they have those retainer clip things holding them on, I found a pair of needlenose molegrips and a lever bar very useful to get them off.
Hope this helps Smile

Good tip
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Thanks that helps alot! Ill get back to you if I need anymore help
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2012, 12:39 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: sounds like it could be a clogged heater matrix. easiest way to check is to follow the pipes from the engine into the matrix, check if both sides are hot. if it turns out that one side is hot and the other cold, you could try disconnecting the hoses where they go into the bulkhead and switching them round the other way and running the engine at about 2k rpm for 5 minutes, this is usually enough to clear out a small blockage as the reverse flow dislodges some build up. make sure you change the hoses back the right way around after and keep the coolant level topped up while bleeding any air out of the system.
Hope this helps Smile

Thats a clever idea! I just unplugged mine and stuck a hose in there and tried but it didnt work very well Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I stuck a hose in mine and the water blasted out the other end so I assumed it was fine. I was wrong though it was incredibly blocked up, the water had just gone through one section of it. So don't just assume its ok if water passes through it.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
what can you do to unblock it then?
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2012, 09:54 PM)therefused Wrote: what can you do to unblock it then?

Not alot. Its generally a put up with being cold (like me) or replace it.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I would just buy a new matrix if Its completly blocked, only like 20 quid for a new one. I just reversed the flow on mine to try get enough heat to demist the screen, it worked to an extent and I guess it would be enough to clear a small blockage though
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I've tried thoroughly flushing the matrix both ways and until it is clear and the heaters still only get lukewarm. I think the answer is to throw caution to the wind and rip the dash out to change the matrix.
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2012, 11:57 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: I would just buy a new matrix if Its completly blocked, only like 20 quid for a new one. I just reversed the flow on mine to try get enough heat to demist the screen, it worked to an extent and I guess it would be enough to clear a small blockage though

Thats the easy bit, its annoying that they're cheap to buy but then a farce to change!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2012, 01:57 PM)Tom Wrote:
(30-11-2012, 11:57 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: I would just buy a new matrix if Its completly blocked, only like 20 quid for a new one. I just reversed the flow on mine to try get enough heat to demist the screen, it worked to an extent and I guess it would be enough to clear a small blockage though

Thats the easy bit, its annoying that they're cheap to buy but then a farce to change!

true, but you forget all about how much of a hassle it was changing it once its working again. Il be changing the heater matrix in my 405 next week, driving back from london only blowing freezing cold air was not pleasant, genuinly think i have frostbite now lol
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Im not suprised! I get not cold air out of mine but i wouldnt call it warm haha!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with heaters David 11 3,211 30-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Parksy87
  heaters never get hot when moving LukeC88 9 2,615 27-01-2013, 02:29 AM
Last Post: samass
  Anyone have working heaters? Parksy87 10 2,097 10-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Kwik