Top end rebuild

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top end rebuild
I had thought about the larger valves Dum but that will be down to costing.
I'm going to be speaking to a company in Clapham at the weekend who can hopefully provide all the parts for me and do some of the work that I'm not really confident in doing.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
GTi6 inlet valves should be cheap enough from pug
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:GTi6 inlet valves should be cheap enough from pug

I can sell you some gti inlet valves..
Thanks given by:
springs Wrote:
Dum-Dum Wrote:GTi6 inlet valves should be cheap enough from pug

I can sell you some gti inlet valves..

How much and what sort of condition are they in?
Just looked and there 31 quid each from pug!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
These are brand new and from PSA.

Kris got them for me when i was going to have the head rebuilt on the 6 but didn't in the end.

only looking for £55. (thats for all 8)
Thanks given by:
springs Wrote:These are brand new and from PSA.

Kris got them for me when i was going to have the head rebuilt on the 6 but didn't in the end.

only looking for £55. (thats for all 8)

Will get back to you on that mate. Will have to have a look and see if there is room as IIRC the valves are already very close on that head.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
no probs..

just realised.. its meant to be PMA and not PSA
Thanks given by:
Sure you can't fit a J4RS head on the 1.8?

If not, put in GTi6 valvz and cams and basically turn it into a J4RS head.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:While you've got the head off take the rest of it out and fit a 6 engine ninja

This.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Sure you can't fit a J4RS head on the 1.8?

If not, put in GTi6 valvz and cams and basically turn it into a J4RS head.

Nope different bore mate

And no I'm not fitting a gti lump. Everyone does that for more power and I want to do something different.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Keep the 1.8 Niall!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Don't worry mate I will!

Oh and Ruan, with regards to the cams, if I fitted gti6 cams I would need a remap as they run as rough as hell. We all know that the Sagem ECUs just don't remap and I can't afford a aftermarket ecu so something I am potentially looking at is swapping over to a bosch system from a gti which you can happily remap. Still looking into the ease of it and wether its worth doing but so far, I haven't come across any major problems so it could work!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Just because it's a different bore, doesn't necessarily mean you can't put that head on... The majority of the difference with the 1.8XS is it's stroke, which is why it's actually a better engine and the WRC cars were based on a bored out 1.8...

Yeah - the 1.8 is 83x81.4mm and the 2.0 is 86x86mm - 3mm smaller, I wouldn't be surprised if you could actually fit the head on, but you'd need to make some measurements.

Definitely get the GTi6 cams in and switch to either Marelli or Motronic, Motronic is probably more known by varying tuners, but the Marelli IAW is known best by people who do tuning of these engines, the Marelli IAW is what came on the GTi6 as standard, the S16 and some XSis used Motronic management.

But if you do the GTi6 cams, get the head ported out to GTi6 specs, then it'll work properly with the GTi6 cams...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the info Ruan. Repped.........

A lot to look into!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ring me when you can Ruan!

Back on topic! -Should be good when its done. Strap a turbo on it?
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:Ring me when you can Ruan!

Back on topic! -Should be good when its done. Strap a turbo on it?

That's something I'm seriously considering later on when I've got a different ecu on it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Will do, James!

And yeah, that setup is absolutely prime for a turbo build... Short stroke 1.8 with a big flowing head...

If you hadn't realised, it's a build I've kinda always wanted to do... I'm still tempted now, it's the only way I'd go down the petrol route...
Thanks given by:
I can confirm the above ^ I remember speaking to Ruan about it well over a year ago now and lets me honest, they rev like f*ck and the fact they were used in the WRC cars cant make it wrong!
Thanks given by:
Well once the head is done, I might be asking for help with a turbo lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I say, Decomp plate it and see how it goes. Then if it goes well, go the full shebang with forged rods/pistons. Surely 1.8s arent massively expensive?
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:I say, Decomp plate it and see how it goes. Then if it goes well, go the full shebang with forged rods/pistons. Surely 1.8s arent massively expensive?

What to buy the engine you mean? Can pick one up for 100 - 150 quid.

Think after the head, next port of call Is ecu. If I can pick up a omex or emerald or something then great but might fit a moronic ecu as these can be easily mapped unlike the Sagem units.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yea the engines themselves. Thats why i say Decomp plate and if it explodes into a shower of rods then its not the end of the world Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I did have a spare engine but I just kept the head and scrapped the block. Wish I had of kept it now!
Still, will order most of the parts for the head this month and see how it goes.

Just out of interest for now, what sort of pressure coul I run on standard internals? I know it would be low. 7psi ish?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Shorter stroke, so less TQ, so theoretically a wee more than the 2.0 boys... Naturally, you'll need a bit more boost to make the same power due to the slightly smaller displacement.

I'd expect 8-10psi, but that depends on if the 1.8 rods are as strong as the 2.0 rods - theoretically they will be, even if there's less meat on them, they're shorter due to the shorter stroke, so less leverage, giving them more strength.

It's the pistons I'd be more concerned about. Likely to melt them, and whether they're lower grade than the 2.0 ones, I don't know... £100-150, you may as well try and see, rather than spending 10x that on a set of forgies...
Thanks given by:
Ruan thanks for all your comments. Helped a lot. Repped.........

Would you be able to draft me up a list of what I would need for a turbo conversion. I've got an idea but I always forget stuff! Lol
Also, what Turbo would I be looking at using?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Completely depends on the power output you're wanting if I'm honest...

The usual Disco Potato GT28RS is known to be pretty much perfect for all 2.0 16v engines, you're talking in the reigon of 300-320hp capability - they'll say 350hp on the box, but I wouldn't like to...

If you fancy something a bit more... Special? A GT3071R would be a bit nuts, talking 400hp capable but still with very little lag, 4k and it'd be coming on VERY strong... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsbBNvWj ... re=related

That's a bored out 1.8t > 2.0 with a GT3076R so a bit bigger again, you can see the response yourself... By 4k you've got FULL blow...

I'll try and do you a rundown of parts at lunchtime today...
Thanks given by:
Coming back to this, I'm hopefully going to be starting work on the head this week. I've decided to stick with the 1.8 head for simplicity and cost (already got one. Unfortunately gti or mi16 heads arnt cheap).

Was wondering if anyone has got any pics of a gti6 head? Mainly the ports. As you can see from the pics I took today on the 1.8 head, the inlet ports are triangular. Pretty sure the gti won't be!

[Image: 77a9307b.jpg]

[Image: 0d4c07bd.jpg]

[Image: 331f3a9e.jpg]

As you can see, it would even probably benefit from a cleanup lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Looks fine to me!

lmao
Thanks given by:
Can't wait to see the progress on this!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]