Spending time and money on a problem when it wasn't what you thought!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spending time and money on a problem when it wasn't what you thought!
Video 
I am going to share this tale of trying to fault diagnose a problem and completely wasting their money on it! Basically, I rebuilt my fuel pump and then the engine started playing up. The story goes like this (the abridged version):

April 2012

My car was fine, boost pressure 22psi, generally healthy, just gone for the MOT. Comes back, fails due to weak handbrake, split CV gaiters and fuel leak.

Fixed the handbrake and gaitors. Fixed the fuel pump with new seals, chuck it on, starts playing up. Won't idle at normal speed, keeps cutting out, smokes a lot. It was a coincidence that it started playing up after I'd rebuilt the pump (as I would later find out).

April-August

Working on diagnosing the problem. The following work was undertaken:

retension timing belt twice
adjust throttle arm about a dozen times or more
adjust max fuel screw
rebuilt pump several times
adjusting governor shaft (the one with the jam nut)
bleed the fuel system
running the stop solenoid without the spring so it is always open
adjusted idle screw
replaced inlet/outlet banjos
checked timing (multiple times)
tried pump at full advance and full retard
pulled pump injection ports, cleaned and replaced
replaced fuel pump
new timing belt
checked valve clearences
replaced fuel lines with clear jobbies
replaced pump pulley
stripped and cleaned injectors
replaced manifolds gasket
posted problem on numerous forums

There were large gaps between these jobs and a lot of jobs I did many times over to make sure I'd done them, due to being at uni most of the time. As you can see from the list, a lot of the jobs where just speculative fixes; i.e. I was clutching at straws for what would cure the problems. This was because I had rebuilt the pump several times and was certain it was right so I started looking into other things. Every obscure possibility was looked into that I could think of.

October 2012

Post on this amazing website, several posters suggest it could be a blocked fuel filter (including the man who would later fix it). I am skeptical because of two main things 1. How would the fuel filter being blocked cause a missfire? and 2. I had run it off a bottle of veg and it was still playing up. Here is a video of how it was running:

[Image: th_P1010002-3.jpg]

You could see why I thought it was something to do with the pump, not something as simple as a fuel filter.

November 2012

Finally manage to get it to KrisB, he looks at it for a minute and diagnoses the fuel filter right there and on the spot. After a new fuel filter and some injection timing adjustment, it is back and as good as new. And, being the legend that he is, only charged a few quid for it!

So, let's sum up how much I spent, from the top (not including hours of labour and fuel drenched hands):

Pump Seal Kit £15 pounds
Cambelt £16 pounds
Fuel (for test running engine) I estimate about £20 pounds
Several new tools £20 pounds
New Bosch pump £50 pounds
Valve feeler gauges £6 pounds
Clear fuel lines £5 pounds
New injector washers £5 pounds
Manifold gasket £8 pounds

So, all together that is £145 pounds for the sake of a fuel filter which costs about a fiver. Sometimes it is better to take the car to the mechanic, eh?I would have taken it to KrisB's earlier but I didn't think it would drive with the way it was running. God knows I've left some stuff out because I've forgotten about it, but what I have listed is the bulk of the work done/money spent.
Thanks given by:
Tbh a service would've been the first thing to try....you know, like filters..... Tongue

But yes I know what you mean, I also often spend lots of money to find out its something simple broken....
Thanks given by:
should've just changed the fuel filter . .it's a no brainer when you've had these engines for a while . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
The fuel filter was suggested many times in other thread
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
And this is why you should keep your 306 well serviced with new filters every 6k on an XUD.
Thanks given by:
Heh, the funny thing is I hadn't done that many miles so I didn't think it was the fuel filter. Plus it was reasonable to suspect the pump since I had recently rebuilt it. I've only had the new filter in for a few hundred miles and it's already showing signs of playing up again!
Thanks given by:
You should listen to good advice given to you on here by many people.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 07:27 PM)Dave Wrote: You should listen to good advice given to you on here by many people.

yaaaa sing it Dave . . . lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
If your running on veg and a tuned car youll clog them pretty quickly. Do them as often as you need till it stops clogging
Thanks given by:
thats what you call sods law, the most easiest thing can raise hell!
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 06:10 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Heh, the funny thing is I hadn't done that many miles so I didn't think it was the fuel filter. Plus it was reasonable to suspect the pump since I had recently rebuilt it. I've only had the new filter in for a few hundred miles and it's already showing signs of playing up again!
how much fuel do you have in the tank at a time??

If you regularly run it low then you will pick up the sediment from the bottom of the tank and clog the filter up
Thanks given by:
Yeah you are right Swampy I only ever fill up five or ten litres at a time which is why it scoops the crap up I guess.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Want to get rid of some money? ROBCAT 13 3,042 02-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Silly money 205 chylledapps 3 1,468 04-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Last Post: chylledapps
  Travel Money MY95 3 1,700 13-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Frosty