towing rules

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
towing rules
as said i wanna know what the rules are when towing a car. im going getting the 205 in a few weeks and was woundering if your allowed to go on the motorway? i know flatbed would be obvious choice but cant seem to sort one out so any help on this would be great

thanks ash
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
A bar yes rope no.

Take the scenic route Smile
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
i think you are only supposed to tow with an A frame now? and need a trailer licence?

could be wrong! worth cheeking before you get pigged though!
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:
can tow on a standard uk licence, aslong as its under 750KG
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2012, 05:32 PM)JackLewis_Dturbo Wrote: i think you are only supposed to tow with an A frame now? and need a trailer licence?

could be wrong! worth cheeking before you get pigged though!

No, A-frames are not legal. You can tow on the motorway with a bar but not a rope.

(23-11-2012, 05:38 PM)Diggers Wrote: can tow on a standard uk licence, aslong as its under 750KG

Not sure if that applies to towing cars? Thought that was only for trailers?
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
I always use a aframe and have towed a few 306's back down the motorway and the car used to tow is a peugeot partner 2.0 hdi as far as im aware it isnt legal due to the size/weight of the car i have used to tow it back with. but have been passed by police many times and they havent batted a eye. Wink

Thanks given by:
hmmmm anyone fancy picking it up and dropping it off for me in exchange for money and beers Angel
Thanks given by:
ow and i always remove the no plate from the car and use a trailer bord the car then in affect becomes a trailer Smile its a very grey area tho and could quite easily of been nicked a few times if the copper wanted to :p

Thanks given by:
the entire lot (so your car and the car your towing) cant exceed 3500kg. You cant exceed the maximum permissible towing weight of the car your towing with which in a 306, i believe is slightly less than 1000kg. If you trailer it, the weight of the car being towed cant exceed the trailer capacity and the trailer and towed car combined cant exceed the maximum permissible towing weight of the car your towing with (different for braked and unbraked trailers) and the entire lot (your car, trailer and towed car) has to come to less than 3500kg
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
well its a 205, if need be i will the the engine out and leave it there! and it wont have insurance will this matter?
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2012, 06:15 PM)the milkman Wrote: well its a 205, if need be i will the the engine out and leave it there! and it wont have insurance will this matter?

if its being towed, it should have insurance technically. if its on a trailer, no it doesn't matter.
that is also another point, check with your insurance company your allowed to tow. you would be surprised how many do it uninsured without realising!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
well thats the thing im currently car less till i get this and fix it up so would have to call in a favour so really dont want to be getting anyone in shit thats why im asking
Thanks given by:
Also needs to be taxed if towing otherwise wheels arnt allowed to touch te floor
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2012, 06:23 PM)Matt Wrote: Also needs to be taxed if towing otherwise wheels arnt allowed to touch te floor

yeah basically has to be road legal
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yep, sucks to be towed too :/
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Hire a beaver tail transit? Our local rental place charges £69 a day, saves loads of hassle!
Thanks given by:
^this. it's easier, safer and less stressful..

Alternatively, drop me a PM.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Towing dolly - front wheels not in contact with the road doesn't need to be taxed or insured etc as long as the rear tyres are legal it's fine.
Thanks given by:
Register on Shipley put in the collection postcode and the destination postcode say its a 205 with no tax. And await quotes.

My pals just had a T2 camper collected from Cornwall and delivered to Leeds for £160. 700 mile round trip.
Thanks given by:
I think we went through all this a few weeks back, but whether or not a conclusion was reached, I dunno!

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-6038.htm...ght=towing

Hope that helps Big Grin
Thanks given by:
i could pick it up and tow it up there with the volvo on a trailer, it'd cost you an arm and a leg tho, and your soul. and youd have to get a mortgage for the fuel bill. and subscribe to the shipping forcast.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
thanks for that guys help alot (not being sarcastic there btw)
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2012, 08:37 PM)ash240970 Wrote: Towing dolly - front wheels not in contact with the road doesn't need to be taxed or insured etc as long as the rear tyres are legal it's fine.

Rubbish! If ANY of wheels touch the floor it has to be fully road legal (taxed, MOT'd and insured).
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
If your towing on a pole then its for emergency recovery of a broken down vehicle only and so towing weights dont really apply (use common sense) and both vehicles need to be insured.

With anything else if the road wheels are on the ground its a very grey area weather it needs to be insured even if nobody is in it.

The most you can tow on an a frame is 750kg as they have no brakes. You can tow more again only for emergency recovery of a broken down vehicle.

If you get a braked towing dolly you can tow up to the towing weight of the car (1100kg or 1150kg on a 306 hatch) and what you tow cant be more than the tow car.

3500kg is the max combined GROSS train weight. the gross weight of a 306 is about 16-1800kg IIRC and itll be the max plated weight of a trailer.

You wont get a braked trailer that you can tow on your licence as the weights will all be too big but you can get the trailer down plated.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What car; towing ginge191 26 5,421 24-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Towing Question Orta 22 8,624 15-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Blaze Addict
  Anyone got an A frame or towing dolly I can borrow please Dum-Dum 1 1,028 13-05-2016, 07:31 AM
Last Post: toseland