Low entry jack

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low entry jack
Question 
Right since getting the problem that has been plaguing my car since April sorted out (see this thread: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-6918.html) and since my original trusty screwfix jack gave up the ghost in pursuit of that same damn problem (jacking up/down countless times to check the engine timing among other things) I am looking for a low entry jack. Unless anyone has any objections I think this one is great value:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-TON-ALUMI...588a46a8e6
But what I need to know from you gentlemen is, is it too good to be true?
Thanks given by:
me and a mate have one of these. not amazing and wont last forever. but ok for the money. i will buy another when this one gives up completly. but i get them for £50 a go so even more cost effective for me.

mines 2 years old. and i might see another year if im lucky. the oil pump part is on its way out now. and it does see alot ofuse and makes life easier when i cant get a normal one under any of my cars

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
How low are you? my mates just got one of these and its only 85mm tall

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUALITY-SEALEY...3cb52ca6c6

Im going to get a bluepoint one for just over 100 quid but that links better than them aluminium shite ones
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
they aint that bad atall CJ

Thanks given by:
(21-11-2012, 09:00 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: How low are you? my mates just got one of these and its only 85mm tall

Im going to get a bluepoint one for just over 100 quid but that links better than them aluminium shite ones

Is the one i have - if i was to criticise, i'd say lowering back down is a bit of a pig as it's ALLL or nothing when coming down which can be scary, but you get a bit of control and you get the hang of it, and the wheels are pretty crap, i know i like to let the jack move slightly when i jack up ( Dodgy ) and these require a bit of nudging. But i've since taken it to strictlyderv's gafff so he can use it also, and it's seen us through a fair bit of work Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2012, 09:00 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: How low are you? my mates just got one of these and its only 85mm tall

Heh, I actually wanted an aluminum one because it's lighter. Not a consideration of a massive bodybuilder I supposeUndecided That Sealey one looks huge and really heavyUndecided

(21-11-2012, 08:50 AM)Manlove Wrote: me and a mate have one of these. not amazing and wont last forever. but ok for the money. i will buy another when this one gives up completly. but i get them for £50 a go so even more cost effective for me.

mines 2 years old. and i might see another year if im lucky. the oil pump part is on its way out now. and it does see alot ofuse and makes life easier when i cant get a normal one under any of my cars

Good info mate thanks. I am wondering if this Clarke one would last a bit longer or not:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/clarke-alu-tro...35bc790012

Since I don't know where to get those other ones for 50 quid.
Thanks given by:
yeahh i thinks im going off my mates ally one but think he got a cheapo looking at it again tbf

well the sealey is only 35kg which i dont see as much but is just under a bag and half of cement lol
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Get yourself down to Costco they have these jobbies in at 60-70 quid IIRC.

Low entry aluminium and very good build quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcan-Professi...484af45471
Thanks given by:
that clark one is exactly the one i got. my mate has an american pro one. and it identical in every way bar the branding/colours. the part Num's on the hydrolic parts are all the same too. so i dont think the branding makes any difference they are all the same

(21-11-2012, 09:53 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: yeahh i thinks im going off my mates ally one but think he got a cheapo looking at it again tbf

well the sealey is only 35kg which i dont see as much but is just under a bag and half of cement lol

bag of cement is 50kg so it over half a bag Tongue

Thanks given by:
Not if you get a 25kg bag of cement Tongue
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2012, 10:29 AM)Matt Wrote: Not if you get a 25kg bag of cement Tongue

shut it you or i will repot you to admin for you cheakyness . oh wait.............

Thanks given by:
I would go for a Sealey or Clarke one for the money. Won't be ally so will e heavy but you don't really want cheap crap when jacking a car up. Imagine the damage you could do if you dropped the car...to the car and your self!!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2012, 10:10 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: Get yourself down to Costco they have these jobbies in at 60-70 quid IIRC.

Low entry aluminium and very good build quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcan-Professi...484af45471

They look nice but it doesn't make sense to sign up for £30 pounds annually just to buy one jack. That would make it the same price as the Clarke on on eBay plus the fuel expenses as the nearest branch is 44 mi away!

(21-11-2012, 10:44 AM)Niall Wrote: I would go for a Sealey or Clarke one for the money. Won't be ally so will e heavy but you don't really want cheap crap when jacking a car up. Imagine the damage you could do if you dropped the car...to the car and your self!!

Yeah that looks like the sensible option TBQH!
Thanks given by:
Right then chaps. I plumped for the Sealey jobby in the end. It weighs a metric fuckton. It is really sturdy though, I reckoned it will do me for many cars to come. Below is a picture of it compared to my old jack:

[Image: P1010016-3_zpsa276b9d6.jpg]

It is about 3 times the size!lol It's is not exactly loaded with features, it is still quite stiff to pump which considering how "over engineered" it is I thought it might need less effort. It doesn't have a carry handle either which makes moving it a chore, even though I used to deadlift 100+kg back in my strength days (yeah I know most ppl would do that for bench). The saddle is massive which is a big plus point, with my old jack I was always paranoid it was gonna slip, with this one I don't even have to check how the saddle is located underneath. Although an ally one would have been better, I am happy with this beast. Surprised it is not rated to 3 ton judging by it's proportions.
Thanks given by:
Same jack i have ThumbsUp

as said, can't fault it, apart from the descent of the jack - bit iffy is all..
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
My old Sealey was like that ginge. It needs topping up with fluid and it should solve that a bit

Good choice though. Sealey make great cheap and cheerful tools.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I have that Sealey one also, probably the best tool investment I made so far lol!
Thanks given by:
I really should get one of these. My current jacking procedure is drive onto bricks>scissor jack>trolley jack>axle stand.
Thanks given by:
Wtf is that jack on the right! Looks like it wouldn't lift anything looks tiny, the sealy jacks are decent used them a few times good choice
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I'm gonna need to get something like these sometime soon, as my current jack is very similar to the little one in your above pic, and is HIGHLY unlikely to fit under the car after this weekend, as the front will be dropping 60mm from standard. I'm on a strict budget though, so I'm hoping to get something quite cheap, but also fairly reliable, as well as being as light/portable as possible.
What are the odds that I could find anything matching this description, sub £100?

/threadhijack Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2013, 08:10 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: I'm gonna need to get something like these sometime soon, as my current jack is very similar to the little one in your above pic, and is HIGHLY unlikely to fit under the car after this weekend, as the front will be dropping 60mm from standard. I'm on a strict budget though, so I'm hoping to get something quite cheap, but also fairly reliable, as well as being as light/portable as possible.
What are the odds that I could find anything matching this description, sub £100?

/threadhijack Big Grin

When I bought the sealy it was £70odd on offer.... Unfortunately you have to be looking at the right time to get the offers though.
Thanks given by:
Buy normal jack and cut a hole in the ground!
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
But they're quite heavy, yes? I don't have anywhere permanent to keep it, and my current jack pretty much lives in the car, hence I'd like to get one that's as light as possible. :?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's a trade off really. Yes it's heavy, but that makes it sturdy! Smaller/lighter ones never really feel safe to me lol.
Thanks given by:
Wing nuts a lot of places do ally versions and they are a lot lighter but you have to be careful with using ally jacks on non level ground. They will twist!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
mates garage has 2 ally ones from snap on---they have twisted and are poo.
he uses the bog-standard 2.5 ton jacks (probably all chinese?) and they are way old and still in service.
we only use 2.5/3 ton ones in work, all steel ones from sealey ????---same as taskmaster ones

i wouldnt buy an ally one, i have a 10 year old 2.5 t sealey jack i use at home, used it on discovery, defender and my galaxy countless times ( in fact i have a brand spanking new one in its box as well---i got it as a spare thinking that cheap meant shite) and its still un-opened............
Thanks given by:
I'll be going for the Sealey one soon, I don't think the ali one will last long with me... and I'd rather have something more substantial for the job. But then, I don't have storage issues or have to lift mine in and out of the car so that isn't as relevant
Thanks given by:
The storage issue for Steve is a pain, but lifting it in or out of the car isn't that bad.....and I'm a little skinny weakling! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2013, 09:09 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: mates garage has 2 ally ones from snap on---they have twisted and are poo.

Thats what ive got. Very very good jack and very stable but as said, use it on anything but a flat surface and it will bend but thats just a issue with ali jacks. Steel ones are much cheaper but obviously the trade of is in the weight but if you can drag it around, thats not a issue. I have to carry mine around a lot so spent the extra on the ali version.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I think half the forum has that sealy jack after i first got one about 4 years ago lol Smile

I really wish I had the spare money for an ally one though as it really does weigh too much, like 35kg or something. Also being rated to 2500kg it could lift 2 306s at once if you got the balance right.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sealey 1250cx trolley jack Iceman299 6 2,086 06-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Ben
  Scissors Jack corrosion - lucky :) maxaret 36 9,154 05-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Last Post: maxaret
  The Farm Jack thread Dum-Dum 29 4,865 12-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Matt