Diagnosis help? - 'clinking' noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diagnosis help? - 'clinking' noise
Hey,

Im having a problem and need help diagnosing it!

I can hear where it is - drivers side - and symptoms consist of an annopying 'clinking' when going over bumps or up a curb...

It sounds similar to when you have a screw in a can - and you shake it - it makes that type of noise.

I was initially told it was the P bushes so i've got some new ones to fit tomorow, but i had a look today and everything 'looks' intact?

Anyone got any more suggestions please???
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
anyone?
Thanks given by:
usually when hitting bumps go to suspension, top mounts wishbone bushes and ARB? but its usually more of a knocking then a tin can thing
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
this is what i was thinking...

its sounds too 'clinky' to be anything 'big'. ive already replaced the top mounts...

anything visual to look at when going around the ARB and checking the bushes?
Thanks given by:
give it a poke, make sure it doesnt move too much

i do remember a while ago someone went into the garage with a knocking described similar, turns out it was a stone/rock that got caught up in the sill somewhere so when he went over a bump the stone jumped about and knocked on something haha
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I had a tinny rattle from the back going over bumbs etc which i thought was the exhaust heat shield wobbling. Turned it out its that protector disc on the inside of the rear disc brakes... its rusty as feck and its only got one bolt so it wobbles around and hits the disk now and again... should probably get it fixed but its doing no harm :/
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:i do remember a while ago someone went into the garage with a knocking described similar, turns out it was a stone/rock that got caught up in the sill somewhere so when he went over a bump the stone jumped about and knocked on something haha

Ws going to suggest this, happened to my brother before and drove us nuts trying to find the problem. Eventually found half a metal ring thing caught around the sub-frame lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-01-2012, 06:09 PM)ginge191 Wrote: this is what i was thinking...

its sounds too 'clinky' to be anything 'big'. ive already replaced the top mounts...

anything visual to look at when going around the ARB and checking the bushes?

havent dropped your nuts in the engine bay lately?......in all seriousness i had something tinging on mine and it was the spring on one of the exhaust bolts! but you could have dropped a bolt or nut in the engine bay somewhere?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like wishbones bushes too me. Mine used to do it. Sounded like nuts and bolts in a can attached to the bottom of the car. It was ridiculous
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Drop link?

Could be anything down there really, jack it up, grab a handful of everything and tug away until you find something.

Giggedy
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
When I had this I changed everything, ball joints drop links track rod ends and found out my top mount was loose
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
holy revival!

This was sorted a while ago, but thanks for the concern Tongue

it turned out to be a dodgy strut top mount bearing
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MC diagnosis and pipe layout Daniel306 2 811 14-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Daniel306