Heeeeeelp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heeeeeelp
My baby is broken Sad
For the last couple of days my steering has been really heavy. Also hard to change gears at times. Arrived in Blackpool about an hour ago and all of a sudden a horrible grinding noise started. I can put it into any gear but if I try to move it grinds.
Thanks given by:
At first glance sounds like the gearbox has $h*t itself,without been there of a vid i cant really say sorry mate, steering sounds like a seperate issue tho poss a leak causing low pressure
Thanks given by:
How much am I looking at?
Thanks given by:
I agree with dan, sounds like gearbox is dead. My old 1.4 did that to me twice. The gearboxes on these TU engines are made of cheese anyway. Scrap it and get an XUD. lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm absolutely devastated. Had it nearly 2 year an first thing to go wrong. Hope it isn't gonna cost loads. Can it have anything to do with the cv?
Thanks given by:
you can pick up a decent box for round 40 quid, and most scrappies will honour a months guarantee.
and for the price of a clutch 25 quid you might aswell lobb one in for good measure, just make sure you fully drain the old box and refresh the oil.

Its normally the diff in the tu boxes that are made from swiss cheese but if you change the oil yearly i.e. when you service the engine you normally dont have a problem.
however if the rh half shaft bearing has given in, it will cause premature wear of the diff bearings and cause the same fault
Thanks given by:
So when I get it home tomorrow what should I look for mate?
Thanks given by:
Depends on your engine, post engine and location and ill see if I can help out

But then again if I'm right which someone will correct me if not all tu gearboxes are the same for the 306, easy way to find one is fleabay a 306 1.4 or 1.6 gearbox
Thanks given by:
Ye it's a 1.4. I'm in stoke on Trent pal
Thanks given by:
Ill see if I can find one local to you then
Thanks given by:
Would gti6 driveshafts be ok on my 1.4?
Thanks given by:
nope gti6 drive shafts are a different size, only 1.4 and 1.6 are the same

there doesnt apear to be any gearbox's on the net within 50miles of you, i would check your local scrapppies for one on monday
Thanks given by:
I'll go round when I get chance. Hard to get to them now Sadgutted there's a pair of Gti ones for 99p up the road Sad
Thanks given by:
Are ye gearboxes coded?

The**
Thanks given by:
Its the MA type box, theyre fitted to tu's in 106 206 306 and saxo's so should be easy to find.
just need to make sure its got the right clutch setup i.e. cable clutch or hydraulic
Thanks given by:
So I can use a gearbox from any of those cars?
Thanks given by:
yup pretty much they fitted the same naff box and same diameter half stafts to anything with a tu engine in

if you look at a saxo box make sure its not the vts as it has a shorter final ratio i.e. revs more for the same speed
Thanks given by:
got a gearbox and getting it fitted for 200 all in. hope thats the end of it =[
Thanks given by:
is that with a new clutch, if so thats not a bad price at all
Thanks given by:
no not having clutch done lol not got anymore cash
Thanks given by:
kk it least it'll be back on the road for you
Thanks given by:
Yep Smile just hope the clutch doesn't go!
Thanks given by:
dont say that it'll be fine, at least with a tu there isnt a huge amount of power
Thanks given by:
i know just wish i had the cash get it done at the same time! just need be reeaalllllly sensible when driving. OAP stylee!! haha
Thanks given by:
My baby is back on the road Smile Smile feels ALOT slower now though :/
Thanks given by:
What speeds is it doing at 3k rpm every gear
Thanks given by:
dont know ill check when i finish work
Thanks given by:
Probably got a higher FD.
Thanks given by:
Fd?
So at 3000 it's 15,30,40,50,65
Thanks given by:
Final drive, I.e the diff in the gearbox.
The revs to speed is right to my 1.4 with 15" wheels on 50 profiles, give it a couple of days see how it goes if not we'll do some more head scratching

And does it feel slow as in acceleration or top end?
Thanks given by: