MX5 turbo on the road again.......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MX5 turbo on the road again.......
Well as a lot of you know i have a new project well not quite so new now. Its a 1993 Eunos. I bought the car a few months back pretty much standard apart from alloys sprayed white and a MOMO wheel.

I will let the pictures do the talking.

From the for sale add:

[Image: DSC02931-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC03147.jpg]

And after my first drive in it

[Image: Photo0613.jpg]

Well all those pictures are the same. But i felt it necessary.

As soon as i had it i was on the search for a hardtop, for security reasons, but mainly because they look so much better. Got hold of one and knocked the guy down from £200 to £110 he even delivered it to me as it wouldn't fit in my 306.

Had to buy a fitting kit, and fitted it all at my sisters house with barely any tools at all.

[Image: Photo0616.jpg]

Hardtop makes it so much nicer to drive on the motoway, although driving with the top down is nice but my hair gets messed up at 70mph..........

Shows how low it is to the ground

[Image: Photo0618.jpg]

I think the icecream was a sort of im sorry to emma as we hadnt eaten or drank since breakfast and i think it was about 3/4pm by this point.

Next up was to buy a set of wheels, as i wanted to go wider. I also have a problem with collecting wheels. So spent far too long trawling through ebay/ gumtree for some ATS cups.

as if by magic these appear in the lounge.....

[Image: DSCF8568.jpg]

f*ck it they don't fit

[Image: Photo0645.jpg]

[Image: Photo06341.jpg]

I need longer studs.

So now im selling them, have a buyer who is hopefully collecting tomorrow, then im off to get some 15x8 et15 wheels.

The latest mod i have done to the car is a bit old manish, but i like to know what time it is. Its a BMW clock. fits almost perfectly and even lights up when my lights come. I think i should be an electrician as well as an hairdresser.

[Image: Photo0678.jpg]

More to come when i have taken photos. Including Dual exit exhausts and a silenced Decat. Sounds soo good, but my fuel economy has fallen slightly well a lot. I will soon stop offending everyones ears with my car.

Hope that wasn't too boring for you all, although im sure you just looked at the pictures. I'm ready for all the Gay/hairdressing comments, bring them on.
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Lovely car bud, think Kim's looking into getting one at the end of the year!
Thanks given by:
Thats far too much thinking in advance, think she needs to get one sooner, Its gota beat having a corsa
Thanks given by:
Looks nice mate. Looking forward to hearing it's offensiveness! I'm going to rise above hairdressing comments (or maybe I've already given enough abuse :p) for now Big Grin. Decided what wheels you're going for now? The ones you showed me the other night?
Thanks given by:
It sounds awesome, not sure if louder than matt's when the back box decided it didn't get on with the centre.

Yeah will be getting the ones i showed you the other night, going for completely silver, thought of getting gunmetal centres but i think all silver make them look bigger. Picking them up tuesday, already have some tyres to put on them just need my friends to fit them. then hopefully some pictures with them on, but the car will look like its on stilts.

Oh and bring on the comments you can't hurt me *sniffs*
Thanks given by:
Should just of got longer studs for the ATS's you tart or would you of messed up your hair fitting them?

Car Looks really good though. Dont know how you and Emma fit in that (both being close to my height) cos I tried getting in one at christmas and I wouldnt of managed if the roof had been up. I looked like i was wearing it rather than sitting in it and i struggled to shut the door because my leg was in the way and couldnt move cos it was jammed on the steering wheel at the other side. Not to mention the fact that I couldnt bend my other leg enough to get it fully off the clutch.

Think id love one but id have to take the seats out and sit on the floor with my back against the bulkhead.
Thanks given by:
Would have cost me an extra £100 for the studs and then theres a chance i would have bought the wrong size as the front and back have different splin e sizes which change in 93 cars so wasn't sure what mine are. So simpler to just sell and get newer wheels. They will look better and are wider. I may need to ask for a favour from you chris. You can probable guess.

Easy to fit in, seat quite far back and in a very relaxed recline position hehe. People have altered the seat position before by either bolting it to the floor, or even lowering the floor by a few inch's. Either way im sure you could fit in one. My legs are pretty jammed under the wheel.
Thanks given by:
I do love what you have done to this, and you should get the title of this thread made into a sticker! Big Grin
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
[Image: tumblr_lwey67k47M1qib5foo1_500.jpg]

Love these so much, torn between a mk1 mx5 and an e30/e28 3 series as a track car project.....

Looking forward to the new wheels and more photos man Smile
Thanks given by:
Mark - Thanks, i have so much more planned for the car i just need money Sad. I am planning on getting the sticker made thinking it will go nicely on the back window.

Dan - Get one you know it makes sense. You can pick them up relatively cheap, just don't buy a rust bucket. Will get some more photos today, maybe even a video of the exhaust sound.
Thanks given by:
If I wasto get one I think I would strangely prefer to buy a rusty/poor bodywork'd example lol Id like one like that with a good engine for sub £500 and then it gives me more of a project, aslong as the rust isnt beyond repair :think: lol. I think I really need to have a drive of one and also a drive of an old BMW to see what theyre both like.
Thanks given by:
Will cost you a lot to get a rusty one sorted, and im sure more rust will crop up when you start to cut away at it. The cause of the rust is the fact the softop drains into the cills and out through holes but if they get blocked you end up with a water tank in your cills. But i understand where you are coming from with a project. Ide rather spend more getting a car to how i want it rather than paying less for one already done.

The ATS's have just been sold, now to ring a man about some wheels

Some more pictures.

[Image: IMG_0186.jpg]

Far too much arch gap it must be filled.

The Duals, some hate them some will like them
[Image: IMG_0165.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0166.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0196.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0209.jpg]

The 306 aerial, would help if i connected this up to the radio at some point

[Image: IMG_0169.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0179.jpg]

Fianlly the last couple, trying to be 'arty'

[Image: Untitled_HDR6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0184.jpg]

Video to come, its a rather large file though
Thanks given by:
New wheels!!!

[Image: IMG_0214.jpg]

Can't wait to fit them.
Thanks given by:
Niiiiiice.

By the way, does HJC on the back stand for 'hand-job centre'? You know, cos mx5s are gay n all
Thanks given by:
Didn't know you knew about HJC, im surprised you haven't put your membership sticker on your car yet........

Hampshire Jap Club
Thanks given by:
lol Touche...

Ahh I see, makes sense!
Thanks given by:
Previous owner stuck it on, i think i will be removing it soon, along with the piston heads sticker
Thanks given by:
Making way for a massive '306oc' sticker across the length of the car? Wink

Also when will those shiny new wheels be fitted??
Thanks given by:
Im hoping by the end of next week, but might come off again until its lowered.

Stickers will go on the 306. That reminds me i have to send 306oc some money. Might ask for one white and one black though.
Thanks given by:
Me likey! Dish FTW
Thanks given by:
Really tidy example mate!

Mates got a mk2 (W reg) which he has supercharged - not been in it but apparently its running between 200 and 250 brake now its been remapped! His is a 1600 not an 1800! (I assume yours is a 1600 - did they do 1800cc in mk1s?)
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
I want one of these so badly. Sad I'm told I have enough cars already though, so for now i'll just to have drool over yours lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
INXS Wrote:Really tidy example mate!

Mates got a mk2 (W reg) which he has supercharged - not been in it but apparently its running between 200 and 250 brake now its been remapped! His is a 1600 not an 1800! (I assume yours is a 1600 - did they do 1800cc in mk1s?)

I would love to supercharge or even turbo mine but it cost too much for me to warrant doing it Sad Did he fit the supercharger himself?

Yeah mines a 1600. They did do the 1800 in mk1 but they came into production after mine in 94 i think. they then reduced the power of the 1600 to 90bhp rather than the 115bhp i have due to there being o little difference between the two engine sizes. IIRC 1800 was about 134bhp.

1600's are much more fun to drive apparently. i have yet to drive an 1800.

Alex - Once the cabby has gone to scrap heaven sell the 106 and get one. It makes sense........
Thanks given by:
Well finally sorted a video. It started off as 250MB file so i have turned the quality right down but tried to keep the sound as good as possible.

[Image: th_MVI_0162_2_1_1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Love it! As Scott said I'm looking at getting one later in the year ( money for Canada comes first), and I got a couple of rough insurance quotes today which weren't as scary as I thought! I'm torn between a Mk-1 and Mk-2, and really can't decide if I want a soft or hard top....

Love the new wheels though, very niiice Smile
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Sad canada no fair...

As for insurance quotes the imports are normally more expensive than UK cars. Not sure if they ask what type on your quotes. Like i said before if you like the pop up lights mk1 for sure. But mk2's do look really good too. Some really nice subtly modded ones on the mx5 forum.

Just buy the Mx5 and decide about the hardtop later. Good thing is when it comes to summer i can put the hardtop in the shed and put the soft top up again. It really is that simple. 4 catches to undo then normally ask emma to help me pull it off.

I know someone else who's been tempted by an Mx5 i can see there being a few on the forum.
Thanks given by:
Tbh i quite like them, ii shouldnt be admitting this in public but i keep looking at these for a euro project, do the really drive as good as people say? as in do they actualy stick to the road like sh*t?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I have to say i still have more trust in my rallye and my hdi than i do in this car, but i think thats more down to the fact i haven't had the balls to push it. But the driving i have done ti seems to handle well. Need to sort out the suspension as feels like has more roll in corners. but 19year old suspension its what ide expect. Think a cabin brace will help also.
Thanks given by:
That sounds really nice John!
Thanks given by:
Just need a bwarrrrrp cone now. Well i need the adaptor as i have a cone in the shed that can be fitted.
Thanks given by: