Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MX5 turbo on the road again.......
Such an awesome noise, I want an MX5 again. Great work mate Smile
Thanks given by:
Nice Smile
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Piggy you may say that frech v's jap and jap much easier, but everthign seemed to go wrong on this car, although only small things. I think it just depends on how cared for the car has been with previous owners. Ive have my fair share of snapped bolts to drill out, thats why the front end isn't on yet.

Chris like i said before im pretty sure you will fit in an MX5 although it did feel a little on the tight side with the soft top up rather than the hardtop.

On the look out for an oil cooler and thermostatic plate for this now as well as a new crank pulley

Oh and me feeling a little artistic after tidying the messy shed, the door hides most of the mess i left Smile

[Image: 1185417_663974670141_894761053_n.jpg]
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So epic, fancy a trade lol

Would love one of these one day!
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 07:09 PM)c.gerrard Wrote: So epic, fancy a trade lol

Would love one of these one day!

No chance, ive spent far too much time and money to swap it now.

Awesome cars i would recommend getting one
Thanks given by:
Can't see the vids or hear the boost..shame! Tapatalk fail I guess...Sad
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Its the same on my phone and I dont use tapatalk...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(12-09-2013, 05:47 AM)Poodle Wrote: Its the same on my phone and I dont use tapatalk...

Ha ha lost out fweinds...

Thanks given by:
That's annoying its uploaded to photo bucket. didn't think there were problems with that.
Thanks given by:
It works fine for me, but that was on an actual PC lol
Thanks given by:
(12-09-2013, 05:40 PM)Curt Wrote: It works fine for me, but that was on an actual PC lol

^^This.

whhhUMMMM *ptchew-tchew-tchew*

Heart
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Works fine for me on tapatwat lol

And lol at the description of the noises ha
Thanks given by:
Had another weekend to work on the mx5. It was running but not well until warm and even then was a bit high idling. Found out this was due to crap gasket between throttle body and manifold. I knew I should have replaced it.

It's running too lean on start up so will need to sort out the fuel enrichment but want to find out a little more info before jumping into anything.
Main achievement of weekend was a new downpipe.

[Image: null_zpse27cf87a.jpg]

[Image: null_zps3dd044bc.jpg]

It's a tight fit but better than before. My welding is still shocking but I'm
More confident in this downpipe

Couple of pictures for the shear hell of it.

[Image: null_zps45316b49.jpg]

[Image: null_zps4fe4f301.jpg]

Car will be insured on the next couple of weeks and in for its first mot shortly after. Wish me luck
Thanks given by:
Awesome dude, not sure youll pass the mot till the fuel is sorted though. Cant wait to see this at a meet.
Thanks given by:
If its warm it idles at around 950-1000 and reading 14 a/f so should be ok i hope. Hopefully if will be tested as an import non catalyst which hopefully helps.

But i do plan on tweaking the map before hand, its just hard when i can't road test it.

My drive is only long enough to get into second gear so can't exactly push it
Thanks given by:
Ooo shiny new down pipe, pity some bastards sprayed pigeon shit all over it. :p That bay looks so win now, take note curt haha!

Try and make sure you get it tested as an import, afr of 14:1 isn't close enough to make it if they do a proper cat test. You know they're tested at ~2500rpm..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm glad you've turbo'd it!

Jap, RWD and turbo all belong in the same sentence!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
14:1 is spot on at idle...

New downpipe looks good man Smile. Do love that wrinkle rocker cover. When this is up and running, you need to visit so a) I can have a good nose and b) we can take some photos!

Fingers crossed for the MOT...
Thanks given by:
Looking great! Come a long way since I saw it in the early days!
Thanks given by:
That bay is very tidy, loving the black and red Smile

Thanks given by:
(06-11-2013, 11:27 AM)Poodle Wrote: Ooo shiny new down pipe, pity some bastards sprayed pigeon shit all over it. :p That bay looks so win now, take note curt haha!

Try and make sure you get it tested as an import, afr of 14:1 isn't close enough to make it if they do a proper cat test. You know they're tested at ~2500rpm..?

That's some quality welding, when the gas was trapped in a small area rather than being blown away it ran much smoother.

the bay needs a good clean oh and some heat shields, the bonnet was getting rather hot above the turbo.

why did i have it in my mind petrol was tested at idle? I will talk to the garage when i book it in, and say its an import and needs to be put it through as one. they have mot'd most of my cars so hopefully they will listen.

(06-11-2013, 11:45 AM)silverzx Wrote: I'm glad you've turbo'd it!

Jap, RWD and turbo all belong in the same sentence!

agree with that, its going to be full of win

(06-11-2013, 11:46 AM)Curt Wrote: 14:1 is spot on at idle...

New downpipe looks good man Smile. Do love that wrinkle rocker cover. When this is up and running, you need to visit so a) I can have a good nose and b) we can take some photos!

Fingers crossed for the MOT...

You know i will be visiting once its on the road, already said to alex that i will be visiting him with it too.

You can't look to close otherwise you will see all the bodges haha.

(06-11-2013, 11:54 AM)vlj Wrote: Looking great! Come a long way since I saw it in the early days!

Its come along way shame its taken so long. has only been out the shed twice since you saw it.

(06-11-2013, 11:54 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: That bay is very tidy, loving the black and red Smile

Thanks i think if i ever change it, its going black and yellow
Thanks given by:
Heh heh only teasing. :p

That's my bad, didn't read the post properly and thought stoichiometric for petrols was 14.7:1. Basically, for it to pass a cat test it needs to be within 3% of stoich. I was thinking at 14:1 it would be nearly 5% out, but since stoich is actually 14:1 you've got nothing to worry about. lol

Just realised I must have been thinking of atmospheric pressure. /Lolfail
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's looking promising then. I'm fully prepared/expect to have to go a minimum of two mot's before it's legal. If it goes through first tone it will be a pleasant surprise.

Just hope the seized callipers stay un seized. If not I may just have to upgrade sooner than expected. Hehe
Thanks given by:
I thought Petrol stoich is 14.7:1 or am I wrong?!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Stoich is 14.7, but they tend to idle better slightly rich of lamba:1.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Ah i see, cheers JP.

(07-11-2013, 04:23 PM)Ruan Wrote: I thought Petrol stoich is 14.7:1 or am I wrong?!

Surely not???!?!!!?one??!?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(07-11-2013, 08:34 PM)Poodle Wrote: Ah i see, cheers JP.

(07-11-2013, 04:23 PM)Ruan Wrote: I thought Petrol stoich is 14.7:1 or am I wrong?!

Surely not???!?!!!?one??!?

This. Did i just read that right?!?!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Dont worry guise, I was right...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Great build mate well done for getting It finished I bet it was worth all the ball ache.
Thanks given by:
Getting a little disheartened at the beginning of the weekend having the reoccurring idling issues.

I tried lots of things to make myself feel better like driving very fast up the drive, with emma sitting in the non-existent passenger seat to see if i could....... well actually for no reason i just wanted to drive it. Anyway after plenty of wheel spinning and decking the car for the first time, that sounded painfull but the stainless rails took it on the chin no problem, back to work finding the idling problem.

I narrowed it down to a few things but the main thing was not enough fuel (advice from the guy who made the ecu) So in the shed gassing myself out (it was raining outside) i set about upping the VE tables +5 at a time 15 later and.............

It's running without any help from me on the throttle Smile

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Getting a half decent reading on the AFR and idling at around 850/900 after tweaking the ICV. I please with it now and can get on putting things back together for the last time. It will be insured as of 1st december then booked in for its MOT.

[Image: IMG_0122_zps3c661b09.jpg]

[Image: th_AFR_zps7d8bb19e.jpg]

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Thanks given by: