MX5 turbo on the road again.......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MX5 turbo on the road again.......
Hahaha wtf dude, good work!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-06-2013, 06:17 PM)Poodle Wrote: Hahaha wtf dude, good work!

Well you know how it is ....

The conversation i had with my dad.

Me 'Im going to have to drill the sump in situ'

My Dad 'No chance of that working, you're going to have to remove the sump"

Me 'Well im not dropping the subframe to remove the sump i hate that job, the engines going out'

And of course it would be rude not to changed the clutch while im at it, also replaced the mounts as one had split. Can't wait for the next trip home to see if she runs.
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Awesome progress dudeSmile
Thanks given by:
Thanks Chris, its a shame i haven't been able to enjoy the great british summer in it though .....
Thanks given by:
Haha nice,I too would much rather take an engine out to do certain things, clutch changes especially, luckily my sump is nice and easy to access Tongue

Drilling the sump for oil return I presume?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Such an awesome project, I'm mega jealous. You ever try the wrinkle paint on plastic in the end?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Yeah for the oil return, i used the oil drain off 306 dturbo which had a good 70degree angle up on it so no sharp bends in the rubber drain pipe i have. Looks oem, much better than the original plan of running around the entire bay to a capped off oil drain point below the inlet.

Your engine is the correct way round for drilling the sump, mx5 is a biatch.

(23-06-2013, 07:45 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Such an awesome project, I'm mega jealous. You ever try the wrinkle paint on plastic in the end?

Not yet still need to get around to that, when the cam cover gets swapped over that when i will spray the cam cover at front. Hopefully get that part done in about 3 weeks time when i travel home again
Thanks given by:
I tried the wrinkle paint on the plastic cover and worked really well, have to be careful if using heat gun to heat it evenly to get a consistent finish.

Had a few set backs, first one was when filling the coolant, turns out the waterpump gasket was f*cked and is leaking badly, so off came all the covers again and new cambelt waterpump and tensioners have been fitted.

Only picture i have of changing all that:

[Image: 2013-08-17113924_zpsb20670f6.jpg]

Now everything was back together i moved onto fitting gauges, and the ecu, then came the first start. (pictures to follow)

So i plugged in my laptop with my newly purchase serial to usb cable. Loaded tunerstudio followed the instructions i have (getting close now)

But whats that CONNECTION FAILED ............. F*CK

Turns out you need the right chipset for the fussy MS2 so that was another weekend of work wasted.

Back home this weekend with a new cable which has been tested and know to work. So hopefully videos of a car running coming soon (as requested by poodle)
Thanks given by:
Oooh sounds tantalizingly close now Smile
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 09:35 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Oooh sounds tantalizingly close now Smile

That's a very big word for you Chris!
Thanks given by:
Yeah its close but i keep thinking that then something happens and im put back a step.

It's a very big word chris do you have the thesaurus out?
Thanks given by:
Yeeeeaaahhhh budday!

Really can't wait to see this going dude, will be all of the awesomes! Good to see you last night, cheers for dropping in. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
good to see you & charlie. The 205 is great project didn't even know that model existed, did you get fuel in the end?
Thanks given by:
It has fuel and everything else, but still doesnt fire. Maybe the pump might be 180 degrees out, shouldn't be though as Ruan locked it off at when he took the old belt off. :/ With any luck i'll get her running before this lol. Tongue
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Have you seen Mighty car mods turbo'd mx5??

I hate these cars with a passion but cant deny how nice they are to work on and I was well impressed with the power gains from low boost turbo. double stock ftw
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Maaaad Boost and Choo Choo Smile do you also have the boost controller for more skids?

looks a brilliant project Smile
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2013, 05:23 AM)Poodle Wrote: It has fuel and everything else, but still doesnt fire. Reckon the pump might be 180 degrees out, mudt have got turned while it was out, as someone took the cambelt off without locking the pulleys. :/ With any luck i'll get her running before this lol. Tongue

I do hope you get it running, but i don't want you to do it before i get mine running, ive spent over a year and you a month rebuilding. It just wouldn't be fair

(06-09-2013, 06:35 AM)Piggy Wrote: Have you seen Mighty car mods turbo'd mx5??

I hate these cars with a passion but cant deny how nice they are to work on and I was well impressed with the power gains from low boost turbo. double stock ftw

Yeah i watched that recently was interesting to watch, i wish i had my own turbo yoda haha.

I used to think these cars were for girls etc, but they grew on me and then this came up for sale and im hooked. Even with the standard 115bhp they're good fun to drive.

(06-09-2013, 07:59 AM)John1.4 Wrote: Maaaad Boost and Choo Choo Smile do you also have the boost controller for more skids?

Boost controller will be on the to do list once its up and running and on the road. Hopefully an electric on so i can have a switch for high and low boost quickly.

(06-09-2013, 05:23 AM)Poodle Wrote: It has fuel and everything else, but still doesnt fire. Reckon the pump might be 180 degrees out, mudt have got turned while it was out, as someone took the cambelt off without locking the pulleys. :/ With any luck i'll get her running before this lol. Tongue

I do hope you get it running, but i don't want you to do it before i get mine running, ive spent over a year and you a month rebuilding. It just wouldn't be fair

(06-09-2013, 06:35 AM)Piggy Wrote: Have you seen Mighty car mods turbo'd mx5??

Yeah i watched that recently was interesting to watch, i wish i had my own turbo yoda haha.

I used to think these cars were for girls etc, but they grew on me and then this came up for sale and im hooked. Even with the standard 115bhp they're good fun to drive.

(06-09-2013, 07:59 AM)John1.4 Wrote: Maaaad Boost and Choo Choo Smile do you also have the boost controller for more skids?

Boost controller will be on the to do list once its up and running and on the road. Hopefully an electric on so i can have a switch for high and low boost quickly.
Thanks given by:
Hahaha challenge accepted! Also, needs more pics! Tongue
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
pearoasts going on there!!

still a girls car...but will be keeping a close eye on it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Its started but i'm not happy, sitting at 3000rpm Sad not happy, what can the problem be i thinks its something to do with when i decided to turbo it.
Thanks given by:
Problem solved, throttle body off and on again sorted, think i need a new gasket in the near future, although now its idling not perfectly and after 10seconds it will cut out
Thanks given by:
Here is the proof finally, think i need to tighten up one of the aux belts, but at the moment im just happy its running.

[Image: th_video-2013-09-07-16-46-45_zps68989564.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Woooooo!

Although that means i lose, awww. Sad

It's just awesome that it's running dude, that's half the battle. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The battle still going, crank pulley has spun on itself in its life so the timing mark completely out, checked it against the spare mx5 so probably swapping the pulleys tommorrow
Thanks given by:
Ive finally given up for this weekend but heres where i've left it for now.

[Image: th_MVI_6202_1_zps0186a4c0.jpg]

before anyone thinks im revving the nuts off it from cold, im not i let it warm up as still havn't quite sorted the cold start so a bit rough down low but runs lovely warm.

Drove it up the drive, it just wanted to spin up when getting out the shed across the grass (its up hill and a corner i had to take a run up) Smile

Pretty pleased with it bit worried that the original temp gauge isn't reading, but been using the MS2 to read the temps.
Thanks given by:
that sounds awesome Big Grin
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Sounds epic man, really glad you got her running Smile. Hopefully the gauge will be easy to sort out!
Thanks given by:
Yeah sounds better in the flesh, im sure it will become more refined with a little tuning.

The temp gauge may have a problem as the front sensor plug doesn't seem quite right when i plug it in, cant tell if the pin inside the plug has been pushed in and not connecting.
Thanks given by:
That sounds rad, need to hear that going under load with some proper boost. Big Grin

Fair play for getting it all going so well dude, i managed to have more problems with the 205 this weekend than you did with this and i didn't do anything other than service the bastard. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
good job mate.

You've had a better weekend than me!!!

but thats french Vs jap I spose!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: