Project MYA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project MYA
You would need to be stark raving mad to buy a 307.
Awful, awful cars with no redeeming features!
Thanks given by:
So the vag is a no no then?

(14-04-2014, 03:25 PM)anto Wrote: You would need to be stark raving mad to buy a 307.

05 1.6 hdi sport for under 2k, what is not to like + cheap tax
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Hey, it aint a bad car.
Mine has 210K miles on it and happily running veg for 100K of that. B5 AFN passat.
I question how/why the German family wagon has zero storage space inside of it. No door pockets in the rear, and a tiny glovebox.
My Astra had more storage space !!!

But when you need to take the front bumper off and need a cross point screw driver, a torx bit, an allen bit and a normal socket, you know it's going to be a total C-nut to work on it..

Else where you'll need a bitspline set and also I think a 12 pointed torx to get the driveshafts off, plus a few custom tools that can be made or the bolts "adapted".
It's purposely designed to be a twat to work on for the DIYer.

Owning one has swelled my tool collection considerably.
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2014, 03:31 PM)nominous Wrote: Hey, it aint a bad car.
Mine has 210K miles on it and happily running veg for 100K of that. B5 AFN passat.
I question how/why the German family wagon has zero storage space inside of it. No door pockets in the rear, and a tiny glovebox.
My Astra had more storage space !!!

But when you need to take the front bumper off and need a cross point screw driver, a torx bit, an allen bit and a normal socket, you know it's going to be a total C-nut to work on it..

Else where you'll need a bitspline set and also I think a 12 pointed torx to get the driveshafts off, plus a few custom tools that can be made or the bolts "adapted".
It's purposely designed to be a twat to work on for the DIYer.

Owning one has swelled my tool collection considerably.

I'm looking for a reliable derv car for 2k, any ideas???

Thanks given by:
Search for a mint low mileage 306 HDi estate. Pay £1000-1200 and keep rest for running costs?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2014, 03:37 PM)Piggy Wrote: Search for a mint low mileage 306 HDi estate. Pay £1000-1200 and keep rest for running costs?!

Can't find a decent one, bored of 306's and mum wouldn't pay for it lol

Saw this and not tempted in the slightest ...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...obcid=soc4

Like this..

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404083167403?atmobcid=soc4

Thanks given by:
Don't buy a volvo either. My folks are about to sell out 400quid for an ABS pump replacement. Known fault. Ridiculous.

Any car can be a dog. It's all just a risk. My passat was 1500quid 3 years ago.
I've spent 100quid on a front suspension kit (the OEM VW part snapped on me !!), a further 30quid on replacing TRE's wearing out.
60 on a timing belt. 20 on misc belts. 20 on consumables, air filter, pollen, etc.
Rear bushes have been about 80, and brakes and pads all round were about another 120quid.
80 quid for a recon alternator with higher output.
Had to bypass the cluster to get the alt charging a there is some silly electronic fault I CBA to diagnose. Broke a stepper in the process and had to shell out 20quid for a spare cluster to swap the motor out of. Sad
Oil change every 3-5K cos of the veg. Then various other veg related mods like heaters, insulation and a changeover valve to a diesel tank for starting/stopping.

So it's not been unreliable. Just a PITA to work on compared to my Hondas which are in comparison a doddle.
Slightly expensive to insure too on a typical policy as a standard car (but mine is on a modified policy) - verses something else of the same engine size like a pug 1.9TD estate...
What I like about it is the air con and it looks much better than my Astra which truly was a beater. - due to veg spillage when refueling I sanded the area down and resprayed as was easier than cleaning it.

I dunno your circumstances or ability, but I'd just say don't give up.
Better the devil you know. If those are the only problems then it's a couple of hundred for a working car, verses something that might have been overlooked at MOT time and you find out a year later.
And if the new car comes with 12 month MOT, don't forget, you can swap parts onto a car to pass an MOT and then take them off again. I did that last week with one of my Honda's !!! (needed the ticket before modding to make my life easier for the next 12 months).

It doesn't sound like a big list. I've honestly been faced with worse.
On my astra the fail sheet came to two full pages one time.
After it passed my MOT guy told me not to bring it back next year as he'd refuse to test it.
Hence the passat (he is a VW fanboy) Smile
Thanks given by:
Whatever you do, dont go 307.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'm am bored of the 306 now and an estate will still give the same cramped position for the back passengers.

Wanna buy MYA then? Big Grin

I like 306's though piggy Sad

Thanks given by:
Audi A6 allroad 2.5TDi quattro?
Thanks given by:
For 2k Chris with reasonable milage? I bet it's thirsty and expensive to look after??

Thanks given by:
Find another grand...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400694275649

These cars are stupidly cheap.
Passengers can take a taxi Smile
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2014, 05:03 PM)nominous Wrote: Find another grand...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400694275649

These cars are stupidly cheap.
Passengers can take a taxi Smile

Yuk yuk yuk Smile

Thanks given by:
I see where you're coming from, just wish you could have made the decision before i spent £50 fuel and wasted a sorely needed day fixing it for you.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
What about a laguna Chris?

You can pick up a mint 56 plate with the 1.9dci engine for under a grand these days.

The mk1 laguna killed their reputation in the UK, but they've improved dramatically since then, massive family wagon, 6 speed, 50+mpg easy to maintain, cheap parts etc
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Tell me about it Alex I have spent over 150 on parts, fuel and the costs are still being paid on Saturday to being the car back to cheddar + time and hassle!

(15-04-2014, 06:29 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: What about a laguna Chris?

You can pick up a mint 56 plate with the 1.9dci engine for under a grand these days.

The mk1 laguna killed their reputation in the UK, but they've improved dramatically since then, massive family wagon, 6 speed, 50+mpg easy to maintain, cheap parts etc

I have looked at a few but they're ugly inside and out Sad.

A mk 1 BTCC Laguna though Smile

Thanks given by:
What is actually up with your 306 now? is it just the pump/injectors & requiring an MOT?

If its just that then I would at least be tempted to stick on another pump to get it running if the mot work is done.

Sounds like you've done a fair bit of work on her, over the past few weekends?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like everyone has done a fair bit of work on it...
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2014, 08:15 AM)mr_fish Wrote: What is actually up with your 306 now? is it just the pump/injectors & requiring an MOT?

If its just that then I would at least be tempted to stick on another pump to get it running if the mot work is done.

Sounds like you've done a fair bit of work on her, over the past few weekends?

(15-04-2014, 08:18 AM)nominous Wrote: Sounds like everyone has done a fair bit of work on it...

Yeah a complete fuel system, I have Bosch injectors but the courier broke the pump Sad.

Yes lots of work had been done but still cannot guarantee it will pass.

Basically I have lost faith, if the courier had f*cked the pump then it would be all ok as I had a Bosch kit + the cabin space is too small and more importantly I have been given 2k to get rid of the old French crap lol

Thanks given by:
(14-04-2014, 03:26 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: So the vag is a no no then?

(14-04-2014, 03:25 PM)anto Wrote: You would need to be stark raving mad to buy a 307.

There is a reason they are cheap, people just want rid of them. Countless crappy faults with them. We had them as company cars and they were just pieces of shite as well as being fugly.

How about a Citroen C4, much better looking and better put together than the 307. Same engine albeit they aren't a nice engine. Ive currently got the 2nd gen C4 with 110bhp 1.6hdi and not a big fan of the engine.
Thanks given by:
I know of a Fiat Punto in orange... Tongue

[Image: DSCF3868_zpsfa412ab6.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3862_zps71dae9c4.jpg]
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2014, 11:57 AM)anto Wrote:
(14-04-2014, 03:26 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: So the vag is a no no then?

There is a reason they are cheap, people just want rid of them. Countless crappy faults with them. We had them as company cars and they were just pieces of shite as well as being fugly.

How about a Citroen C4, much better looking and better put together than the 307. Same engine albeit they aren't a nice engine. Ive currently got the 2nd gen C4 with 110bhp 1.6hdi and not a big fan of the engine.

Oh Sad

Suggest a derv car that's cheap to run and insure I can get for £2k (also about 100k milage) ??

(15-04-2014, 12:24 PM)silverzx Wrote: I know of a Fiat Punto in orange... Tongue

[Image: DSCF3868_zpsfa412ab6.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3862_zps71dae9c4.jpg]

lol

...just lol

Thanks given by:
Less then 100k miles...! 6 speed diesel..!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
True true but it's a fiat, it's a 2 door so not good for a family and that colour would give me a headache lol

Anyway if it's a steal, why do you want to sell it?

Thanks given by:
Probably get a Hyundai i30 for that money. They aren't terrible but they ain't 306s. Maybe a mondeo diesel
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2014, 02:41 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: True true but it's a fiat, it's a 2 door so not good for a family and that colour would give me a headache lol

Anyway if it's a steal, why do you want to sell it?

Who said I'm selling it. Tongue

Just a recommendation..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2014, 02:44 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Probably get a Hyundai i30 for that money. They aren't terrible but they ain't 306s. Maybe a mondeo diesel

I've not seen an i30 for that money.

I thought ford derv's were poo ?

Thanks given by:
mondeo 2.0tdci, mapped with egr deleted are pretty good really. handle really well, comfy, well equiped, boot the size of your house, 130bhp standard, my mate on std map does 50mpg. on a stg1 type map, they will do bit more and give 150bhp easily
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2014, 03:24 PM)Piggy Wrote: mondeo 2.0tdci, mapped with egr deleted are pretty good really. handle really well, comfy, well equiped, boot the size of your house, 130bhp standard, my mate on std map does 50mpg. on a stg1 type map, they will do bit more and give 150bhp easily

Oh right I thought they were pants lol any particular reg/year?

50mpg, is that motorway?

Thanks given by:
Nah, A road/B road commutes. He got 56mpg on his trip to france and back. Careful right foot mind.

Mk3s are cheap to be honest

I know its doen 159k miles...but this is a £1000...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-FORD-MOND...4d1b923f0e

thats leaves some dollar for a possible clutch at some point coz of dumbass DMF and a remap to see 150bhp+
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: