Can normal seat belts be used with buckets?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can normal seat belts be used with buckets?
I keep wondering about this, I want buckets for lightweight and support, but I don't want harnesses in a road car with no cage, is it possible to use normal seatbelts? I was thinking about the two holes at the bottom of each side, could put the seatbelt through the right hand side and the catch through the left hand side. Is it possible?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
You can with recliners as that's what curts done
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
But not with fixed? I don't like recliners much
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
The fixed wont be able too. With the solid sides the seat belt won't be around you, more around the seat. And in a crash would cause a lot of damage to your body as you wouldn't be held in
Thanks given by:
Shame, will keep my seats then!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
It will if you unbolt the seatbelt and thread it through the harness holes used by 5 point harness, the ones down at the bolster.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I used to have recliners with standard belt. Tbh a harness is not much hassle been out in sams 309 afew times and you don't really notice using a harness

You could take the top top fixing for the belt and thread it tho the right hole then fix it back onto the pillar. Then when you pull it across and tho the left hole it would essentially be like a normal belt. Might not hold you tight tho
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Hmmz
no problems here
[Image: DSC_0491.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Those are a bit different though as the buckets are quite shallow. With the deeper buckets the belt just ends up tight across the seat rather than fitted to your body.
Thanks given by:
^^ that won't correctly hold you in an accident, with the raised sides of the buckets the seat belt will rest on these instead of your body. it will give you body an increased amount of movement, so the car will stop, with a normal seat you are held. and instead of you stoping with the car, with the bucket you will travel an extra 6 inches (for arguments sake) to then hit the seat belt and it will cause more damage then using harnessess
Thanks given by:
or youd slide out underneath it, pushing your knees into your anus. sounds fun, but probably isnt
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Sure you'd like it though eh Sam? Anything anally related.... Hahah
Thanks given by:
meh, not so much. bit too brutal for me
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
as sam said, you will probably just submarine. The pretensioner wont have any affect as all it will do is pull the belt against the bucket. at best, you will just get severe whiplash
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
i used to have normal seatbelts with my fixed bucket seats until i fixed my harnesses in.. it passed its MOT with them like that aswell..
Thanks given by:
Anybody know the law on bucket seats and harnesses, do you have to be using harnesses? Is it legal to be using harnesses and not a seat belt? Or are you ment to still be using the original belt even though its worse for you? Im running buckets harnesses and a harness bar, all declared to insurance so no problems there. But my harness bar mounts where my seat belts used to so they have been removed. Can be swapped back for mot so thats not a problem but just wondering about driving for the rest of the year.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
my dad owns a desert rally team called RallyRaid UK. and all our custom built rally cars run buckets and harnesses (obviously) but they are all road legal.. and fully mot'd with cages harnesses and fixed bucket seats. i don't think there is a law, so long as they are all fixed in correctly, and for obvious reasons i would go and have my car mot'd soon as you've put them in, so that your mot says mot'd with different seats and harnesses in case you have an accident, then there's no way of your insurance bullshitting about your seats...
Thanks given by:
Yeah harnesses are road legal. I had a 4 point with standard gti spec seats in my nova. Was good fun as you really could throw it about being stuck to the seat. Just couldn't reach the stereo! But had a remote control for it so even that wasn't too bad. Would be ideal if you've still got use of stereo controls on the steering wheel...

(27-11-2012, 10:29 PM)306GT30 Wrote: Hmmz
no problems here
[Image: DSC_0491.jpg]

What are the four buttons at the bottom of your dash? is that the qbd 330 suede wheel?
Thanks given by:
Actually they are not legal. All road going cars have to have inertia reels on the belts however its one of them technicalities that will never be picked up on because harnesses do the same job!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I have a set of blue OMP harnesses for sale..
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear seat belts Matt 3 1,004 13-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Matt
  buckets connorp 2 876 09-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Last Post: connorp
  ICE: Active network or normal setup stevieg 0 639 13-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Last Post: stevieg