6 speed box

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 speed box
Video 
Right next thread of the day as im planning for future does anyone no if its possible to fit a 6 speed bix in a 1.6 and if so how hard and how much work would it involve as much as my 5 speed box is good i just think it needs that extra gear to get it over the top if you catch my drift.
cheers in advance craig
Thanks given by:
I may be wrong but im pretty sure the overall ratios mean the 5 speed box has just as much top end, just the 6 gears are much closer together so the revs dont drop so much during gear changes :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
That's right, plus the TU and XU engines have different boxes so it wouldn't fit...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
One of my mates looked into this during his college project, on a 106 instead though. Turned out it could be adapted to fit a TU (dont ask me how easy that is though), but you'd need the '6 steering rack if you did it.

IMO not worth it on a standard 1.6....but if you're doing some crazy mods to it then maybe. Wink
Thanks given by:
They fit on pretty easily, epic box for ragging, but no better for top end....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the comments the main reason for asking was for 1. Its a crusing gear ie not reving so high all the time got a straight through on it so is loud as f*ck. And 2. Is because i do plan to play with it alot which begs the question why dont i just buy a gti 6 but i like a challenge and i all ready own my 1.6 but its good to no it can be done cheers
Thanks given by:
I also made this mistake....apparently 6th on the GTi ISN'T a cruising gear, they just move the other ratios closer together.
Thanks given by:
(11-11-2012, 06:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I also made this mistake....apparently 6th on the GTi ISN'T a cruising gear, they just move the other ratios closer together.

correct. they have just moved the ratios closer...pain in town driving but is good for ragging!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Go me Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Not an easy conversion, it means pulling apart a JP4 BE3/4R and then using the bellhousing on the GTi6 casing as the starter is on the wrong side, but trust, you wouldn't want to do it on a 1.6 without adjusting the final drive, just too long...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Surly a 6 box on a 1.6 would be epicly shite?

And 6th deffently isnt a crousin gear. I hate that box on the motorway.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
5th gear on a tu5 is bad enough why would you want to add a 6th?
i can only see it working if it was a tu5 jp4 or a well spec'd tu5jp
Thanks given by: