Jamies Track built GTi 6 (new replacement purchased!)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamies Track built GTi 6 (new replacement purchased!)
A lot of people said I should have done a project thread when I went up to ACE, so had a bit of time tonight to collate this....

Well it all started playing golf one day, I was having a bad round until......

The guy who i was playing with happened to be the service manager at my local garage, he proceeded to tell me about one of his customers who had a GTI6 which had to go due to the arrival of a new company car, i knew the car in question straight away as it lived just down the road from me, after a little bit of prying and perseverance i got to view the car, as i remembered and had been told it had been mechanically maintained well by the garage with lots and lots of bills, however the interior not quite so good and pretty filthy (This got me thinking!)

When it came to the crunch i made an offer and walked away as the guy was not ready to let it go, or for what i offered, so as far as my thinking went i had been blown out the water already.

3 weeks later however i got the call, "your cars here to collect as i'm off on holiday tomorrow" so off I went!

in this 3 weeks though I'd managed to buy yet another go-kart to fill the mother in-laws garage up with the one i already have and now a car to put on her drive just in time for my operation 2 days later!

In the next 6 weeks of recuperation is when i met all you wonderful guys on here, i was helpless and had plenty of time so thought I'd sign up on here as i had plenty of questions that needed answers and lots of stuff i wanted to buy, well i certainly havn't been let down as everyone has been so helpful and such a credit, i cant thank you enough!

The car was perfect, I have always been around Motorsport as my Dad raced in top level saloon cars and my family had owned a Peugeot dealership yet i have never driven round a circuit myself............... Time to change that!

[Image: 63e3c253.jpg]

[Image: 91dd5276.jpg]

[Image: 7a0574ef.jpg]

Next big step I started working out how to do the seats, which wasn't as easy as I thought and hoped as me being me bought Corbeau Revolution style which was proving to be a bit harder than first thought, due to them being very wide.

I was trying to make them easy to move backwards and forwards without using the sliders as they were going to make the seats far too high, but they needed to be easy to adjust as not everybody is as lanky as me!

After a bit of time and thought we came up with an idea which involved minimal welding and no cutting of the cars structure ie: tunnel or sill gusseting,

It turned out to be top draw, really low, nice and far back and very easy to adjust (scraping the soundproofing off was pretty dire!)
[Image: 434fb508.jpg]
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Looks good pal... You totally stripping it out then?
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Both seats were now in, very nice and low, also dead central to the steering wheel, really happy with them.

I then got a jetex exhaust delivered this week, mainly as i heard they were nice and quiet, sought after and well made, so i prepped it and coated it ready to go on the car....

I thought I'd attempt this myself! My mate said to put the car over the pit and off I went, bit of a mission getting the lambda sensor out and the box off the back! Eventually it all came crashing down, cat and everything!

Putting the decat and new system on took a bit of fitting and moving in to place, after a bit of time it seemed pretty good and sounded mint when it' started up, nice and crisp yet not boomy at all!!!!!

The cat decided it would sit in all the old exhaust rust, carbon and all the general shite.... This didn't go down well!
[Image: image_zps18ecb1e7.jpg]

(29-10-2012, 09:48 PM)Alee83 Wrote: Looks good pal... You totally stripping it out then?

Oh yes! I've only really built it for track as the cars not used as an everyday vehicle

I then had a huge spell where nothing really happened. The car was off the road so it wasn't really a problem.

Been flat out readying the kart and stock car and at work doing loads of hours saving for Daytona 500 next year

So we set too a good weekend on the old Reemer, got the rear beam lowered by a notch and the new adjustable shocks and springs on the front along with some mintex 1155 pads, braided hoses, racing fluid and the strut brace, an absolute transformation!

As for the wheels i happen to be lucky enough to have access to a few race teams, luckily enough though I found myself some direct fit part magnesium team dynamics wheels which are a little bit special at 4.8 kg's in 17"

Needed a massive push like that in the right direction.

I wanted to get along to the French car night at ace too but only wanted to go if it looked half decent so when I had the car at home in the evenings I had all the seats and subframes back out and painted the floors, made myself some aluminium foot plates and fitted the rear interior cards which were ripped, splitter which was missing, mirrors as one was cracked and pillar vinyl's on which was handy as they were split, sparco boss, wheel and spacer etc

Before lowering
[Image: image_zpse0b05662.jpg]

After
[Image: image_zps8a85366d.jpg]

Next it was all ready to go and meet some new people at ACE French car night which was really cool,

It was nice to put faces to names etc but I really enjoyed seeing other cars and different peoples individual ideas and takes on different things.

I'd never modified a car before or been part of a "scene" or to any meets but fair play to you all, there's a lot of talented people in lots of different areas that can put the resources available to fu#*ing good use, this made it pretty enjoyable just having a browse

Anyway here's some pics I think "dum dum" took
[Image: image_zps24486c82.jpg]
[Image: image_zps034cb076.jpg]
[Image: image_zpsd87ab9ab.jpg]
[Image: image_zpsdb60a8fe.jpg]
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Bit of help needed, would any of you guys want to make a set of black masks for me or point me in the right direction

And who have any of you guys found to make the best cage?

Cheers
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Try cwspellowe for the masks mate he's pretty good Smile
Thanks given by:
Cheers mate, have you got them?
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I havent, but his works pretty highly recommended

Edit: see this thread Smile

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-6907.html
Thanks given by:
Cheers mate, they do look good and are aesthetically pleasing, however.... They don't make you go any faster.

Also, want to hear of anyone with solid rear mounts?

Anybody got anything to add about the wagon? Anything I've missed so far
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
looks good to me! those seats are massive! D:
Thanks given by:
I'm going for solid rear mounts... Makes the rear end more predictable.... Smile
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks really good mate. Really love those seats.
Thanks given by:
Looking good, looking very track with those seats! Like the wheels
Thanks given by:
Looks good mate & those wheels are sweet!
Thanks given by:
Looks superb, I want a go. Those wheels are incredibly light! I remember showing off my Superleggera's back in the day, but I'm sure they were much heavier than these!

/shame about the colour TMI
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
looks absolutely awesome, just.. blaze...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I knew you'd love the colour!!! :p

In all fairness, I've had a few gold cars! I've got used to it lol
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Ahh, so it was you on the hindhead tunnel run earlier Itwasntme though I recognised the car.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Yes mate, that 205 must have a fair old turbo on it?
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Why's that? K04 off a TT, 11 years old
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
That k04 boosts hellish quick !
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
She was rinsing the black smoke and you could here it spooling up mate lol
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Yeah I was bogging the hell out of it lol. I properly coaled the tunnel out on the first run.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Quick little update:

Door cards all made and fitted, ph3 lights in, winding mechs courtesy of scott all fitted and got myself a mocal 19 row oil cooler ready to fit before going on track!

got a set of 17" slicks too

also got a huge bargain on a set of Pro Race 1.2's which are going to be used on the road as i would cry if i caught one of the mag rims on a pot hole due to the atrocious roads round here!

I was going to fit the magnesiums up with the slicks but if anybody really would like them then get in touch
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
really nicely stripped out interior, mustve taken ages to get all the sound deadening out, nice seat install too, looks so much better on the proper subframes, nice and low like buckets ought to be Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah it was well worth it, luckily I've got some clever friends! It's one of my pet hates when you see someone with bucket seats and their helmet on the roof lining when they're on a track day!

Yeah there was an insane amount of weight on that floor, I haven't gone as far as a lot of people but its nice, it's a perfectly usable vehicle still, especially with the jetex system.

I started reading about this truck turbo when you first posted and havn't seen since so I'm off for an update!!
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 10:53 PM)Tallguy_2 Wrote: Yeah it was well worth it, luckily I've got some clever friends! It's one of my pet hates when you see someone with bucket seats and their helmet on the roof lining when they're on a track day!

Yeah there was an insane amount of weight on that floor, I haven't gone as far as a lot of people but its nice, it's a perfectly usable vehicle still, especially with the jetex system.

I started reading about this truck turbo when you first posted and havn't seen since so I'm off for an update!!

All the interior will be coming out of mine once ive got some money for a pair of decent buckets, harnesses and a race wheel. gotta take the rooflining out soon anyway to fix the dent in the roof that the bonnet made when it flew open Sad but anyway, let the weight saving commence!! got a fibreglass bonnet in the post to get me in the spirit of things haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Where did the bonnet come from???? Don't make me cringe!

Well if you want any more details of the seat mounting let me know, but don't buy the omp universal subframes!
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 11:06 PM)Tallguy_2 Wrote: Where did the bonnet come from???? Don't make me cringe!

Well if you want any more details of the seat mounting let me know, but don't buy the omp universal subframes!

Theres a guy on the '6 forum who makes fibreglass panels to order, am massivly grateful to him for making me a phase 1 bonnet as you only seem to be able to get phase 3 stuff in fibreglass. next up is a fibreglass bootlid and front wings
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Be very very careful, are these the ones that have just come along?
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 11:31 PM)Tallguy_2 Wrote: Be very very careful, are these the ones that have just come along?

been around for a month or two, why? what you heard?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The bought not built estate Frosty 154 59,179 09-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rocker8742
  The bought not built ph1 VNT Estate clarkey2010 32 9,327 12-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: clarkey2010