Car plans...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car plans...
Right basically im thinking the time has come...

ive spent running into the hundreds doing the estate up and i still owe Tom some money for various things...

Im in my last year at uni and i take a full car of people on sailing trips which normally involves a full boot and kit on peoples laps which makes things fairly uncomfortable.

The estate is a bit tatty but it is all working, has a new clutch and is a superb base. It does have some minor crash damage to the front but nothing substantial. It does however being a hdi have the huge advantage of fuel economy and has all the space i could ever need!

[Image: EstateClean41012019.jpg]
[Image: EstateClean41012022.jpg]

The 1.8 on the other hand is brilliant fun to drive and with a bit of tidying up will be just as tidy as the day i bought it! The noise it makes is epic and it is pretty much how i want it to be apart from the gti6 box and exhaust manifold. However at 60mm its too low to park on pavements where i am living this year and on those big trips it scrapes on all the speedbumps. However im thinking it may be easier to park on our crowded street and drive around the city (liverpool) compared to the estate due to the size. Probably just a feeling I have as I havent driven an estate for 3 years D:

[Image: IMG_1318.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1314.jpg]

Power wise... i like the 1.8 as it sounds good and has all the power (125hp) i need for overtaking. But then... as soon as i map the estate it would be nearly the same but with a lower power to weight ratio...

However what i really want is a stripped out 3 door petrol (gti6 ;D). Id do it to the 1.8 but its a 5 door and not a 3 so it would be very silly to use that car to begin with.

So yeh thoughts please! Im thinking myself that i should store/sell the 1.8 and use the estate as a daily and then once ive saved up enough money i can get a 6 and track spec it (and insure it D: ).

Also if I want the estate back and tom hasnt got a car he will be forced to drive a petrol which may scare him due to the noise and power! D:

Sorry if this thread went a little Toms306 half way through! D:
Thanks given by:
Go with the estate Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Sell the 1.8 and use the state till a 6 is found.
Also are they not 112bhp?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2012, 06:02 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Sell the 1.8 and use the state till a 6 is found.
Also are they not 112bhp?

it was 108hp when i got it and 125 after gti manifold and straight through to backbox exhaust :p
Thanks given by:
very dubious as to that 125 figure. I would bet a pint on the fact its a lot less than that.

i would have the estate, turn your 1.8 back to standard, have the shiny parts off of that onto the estate and get a track 6 later when you can.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Agree with nial. best option
Thanks given by:
Fuel economy? The HDi estate? lol Will be interesting to see what its done this weekend....mpg was bottom of the priority list...I'm guessing 45mpg tbh! Confused

On another note, the estate boot really is massive and useful! And it handles f*cking awesomely tbh....no really, apart from the ocassional LOOS I've enjoyed driving it pretty hard over the last few days. But it is epically slow, I had a passenger ride in decs HDi with like 180k on it and a stage 1, but it felt quite a bit quicker tbh. I know I'll get moaned at for this and people will more than likely tell me the reasons they didnt, but I really wish they'd made a HDi 150 as standard fitted to them!
Thanks given by:
I really don't know why there isn't a HDI 110, 150 would be too smokey for a factory car but why not just have an intercooler and different map for a HDI 110 in the HDI D-Turbo. It worked on the 406 and there's enough room for the crappy little standard FMIC on a 306. Peugeot missed a trick there, it would have been an epic seller and given the Golf GT TDI and the Fabia vRS some competition...

I know we all talk about 150bhp plus but remember these little cars with 110bhp would still be a good laugh with a nice slug of torque Wink
Thanks given by:
Torque? Where? I was expecting to feel some sort of kick from it, seeing as its a turbo diesel afterall.......nope, have to watch the speedo to realise you're actually speeding up! Its like being in the NAD again lol. lol But that really is my main critisism of the car tbh, I wouldn't be bothered by the ~50mpg if it had some power to go with it.

Why would it be too smoky? Other manufacturers got away with it, the PD150 in the mk4 doesnt even have a DPF, just EGR and cat...same as the HDi. Smile

I also dont know why they didnt stick the 110 HDi in the 306 tbh, I totally agree would've sold more, AND would've been easier to get more power reliably as it would already have the IC as well.
Thanks given by:
Brake the the 1.8 sell me the front bumper and the boot lid and keep the hdi Tongue im not biase or anything Big Grin

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Front bumper on the 1.8? lol Pretty sure you wouldnt want it!
Thanks given by:
Getting 45mpg bothers you? I was getting 25mpg in the vRS!

Stop whinging about the HDi, there's plenty of power there, if not it's broke! You could always map it to 180bhp and destroy the top end Wink
Thanks given by:
The vrs was much quicker, sounds better, revs better, better power delivery....the HDi is a slow old diesel, yes 45mpg is terrible for something like that! Tongue lmao
Thanks given by:
If it's slow, and only getting 45mpg never going over 3k round country roads then somethings wrong. My 20 year old XUD that hasn't been serviced in 2 years and sits in traffic every day is averaging 39mpg on veg, and it pulls pretty well. And that's coming from a 1.8t...
Thanks given by:
Stick all the pretty bits from the 1.8 onto the 'state, remap it, decat it and away you go.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Seriously, I agree with Kez.

And as I only read half the first post earlier lol.....the estate isn't at all hard to drive or park in town, it doesn't feel longer and actually has better visibilty! Its much easier than trying to tow a trailer in town....infact I haven't used the trailer since using the estate! But that's partly due to the trailer being covered in golf parts lol.

Dw, I will have sorted a car by then (avensis is for sale....anyone? Big Grin ).....and who knows, maybe it will be a petrol. ninja
Thanks given by:
The estate's broken Tom, there's an issue there. I drove a completely standard HDi estate today, and other than missing second as I pulled off (lack of shortshift FTL), it pulled reasonably well, and I'm used to 165 or so BHP.

It certainly wasn't slow, I'd deem it "adequate".

And Sam, Shiny bits off the 1.8 onto the 'state then sell it, keep the estate as a daily.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Use the estate as a daily. It's a nice car, there's nothing wrong with it I'm sure, but the main reason is so you can take it away from that ungrateful moany bloke!

When time and funds allow we would all get a gti6 as a second car to hoon around in! Unfortunately for you and I and many others I simply can't run one as it would cost too much in fuel Sad
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Use the Hdi sam there not that bad hehehe
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Valentines Day Plans? MY95 5 1,379 18-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Last Post: roland rat
  Any BIG plans for 2015?? thebluepearl 20 4,036 05-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Last Post: nominous
  Weekend plans Tyronnster 1 810 23-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Last Post: 4WayDiablo