GTi6 Running Cold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTi6 Running Cold
The water temp gauge always used to sit at 80 but i've just noticed it now goes between 78 - 75 (half way between the two lines) when cruising.

I guess this could be a slightly leaky thermostat? Warms up really quickly in the mornings still so it can't be stuck wide open or anything serious.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Could be that its running colder because its out in colder air what with it being winter now?

Mine is running colder too today.
Thanks given by:
I would suggest replacing the thermostat and putting some decent coolant in. This time of year is when having a properly working thermostat is pretty critical to a healthy engine.

They will run slightly cooler this time of year as the coolant system on these has one of the widest ranges of healthy running temperatures ive known of! This is why im looking at fitting a electronically controlled thermostat. For winter, its fine but middle of summer in traffic it will help big time!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2012, 09:04 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Could be that its running colder because its out in colder air what with it being winter now?

I think chris has hit the nail on the the head there mate, my DT been running between 5-10 degrees cooler the last couple of day/nights, quicker to Big Grin

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(27-10-2012, 05:11 PM)puglove Wrote:
(26-10-2012, 09:04 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Could be that its running colder because its out in colder air what with it being winter now?

I think chris has hit the nail on the the head there mate, my DT been running between 5-10 degrees cooler the last couple of day/nights, quicker to Big Grin

I thought the whole point of the thermostat is to regulate temp so it will always run at the same temp regardless of ambient temp?

Talking of coolant Nial I did loose all my coolant the other day (hose came loose) and replaced it with just water and hvaen't got round to putting some antifreeze back in it yet.

Is replacing the thermostat a difficult job? Will have a peruse of the FAQ's section.
Serious.
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2012, 07:54 PM)lewisdmz Wrote:
(27-10-2012, 05:11 PM)puglove Wrote:

I thought the whole point of the thermostat is to regulate temp so it will always run at the same temp regardless of ambient temp?

Talking of coolant Nial I did loose all my coolant the other day (hose came loose) and replaced it with just water and hvaen't got round to putting some antifreeze back in it yet.

Is replacing the thermostat a difficult job? Will have a peruse of the FAQ's section.

make sure you get some in there asap!
Thermostat is easy. follow the top rad hose to the engine block and you will see theres a metal housing with 3 sensors in it. Whip this off (4 10mm nuts) and the thermostat is behind there.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2012, 08:02 PM)Niall Wrote:
(28-10-2012, 07:54 PM)lewisdmz Wrote:
(27-10-2012, 05:11 PM)puglove Wrote: I think chris has hit the nail on the the head there mate, my DT been running between 5-10 degrees cooler the last couple of day/nights, quicker to Big Grin

make sure you get some in there asap!
Thermostat is easy. follow the top rad hose to the engine block and you will see theres a metal housing with 3 sensors in it. Whip this off (4 10mm nuts) and the thermostat is behind there.

+1 rep ting.

Is it worth going genuine for the thermostat and seal? ECP only list the stat but GSF appear to do both.
Serious.
Thanks given by: