thermostat and coolant change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thermostat and coolant change
having some problems with my car not heating up, never seen it go up to 70c so im going to change the thermostat and flush the coolant for winter.
Is it just as simple as removing the bottom rad hose draining the coolant, then removing the thermostat top cap, replacing the thermostat and new gasket and refilling coolant through the expansion tank.

Are there any bleed screws on the hdi ? and what coolant do i use and how much do i need, i know this has been quite specific on previous cars ive had, e.g using the orange OAT stuff.
Thanks given by:
http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-7160.html
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
yer look at my thread what i did was remove the top hose off the rad, remove the thermostat then bolt the thermostat housing back together, get hose pipe (for fresh water to flush it thought) start car up and let the car pump the water out (try and make sure its pumping on to floor or in a bucket or something not all over electrics) then use the hose pipe put it in the header tank and just let it keep flushing water out till its clear the replace the thermostat. put the pipe back on the rad fill the header tank start the car back up i used 2.5 liters of anti freeze. rest water there is a bleed nipple on top of the thermostat housing (an allen key bolt) and there's one on the pipes going in to the bulk head, i did that then took it for a spin and the water level dropped a tiny bit so i just topped it back up sorted it droped the temp of the car seems to sit around 75c now

The hdi's are really cool running engines anyway very rarely see them over 80 unless stuck in traffic

Thanks given by:
Definitely make sure the water is not pumping out over your electrics, that would ruin your loom very quickly. I would recommend using the drain plug at the base of the radiator rather than the thermostat housing, that should let some of the crap out of the radiator (also partly because there's no electrics underneath it lol), the rad can silt up nicely over time.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gates thermostat pug306driver 5 1,282 17-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Best place to buy a thermostat? JTaylor2005 18 1,910 25-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Last Post: pro_steve
  Coolant change E_KEL95 21 2,963 18-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Last Post: JJtheHITMAN