Engine Removal - No Crane!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Removal - No Crane!?
Hi

Just wondering if this can be done? Or If I should borrow/rent a crane, price dependant of course!

I think it'd be easiest to take off the front end, mosts already off anyway, just rad, fans and the impact thing to go. Then drop the gearbox off. Then would I be able to lift the block without the head??

I've managed to lift the rear beam, front subframe/pas rack/arb, HDi gearbox (6spd PD cant wiegh much more surely?) and the complete head with cam and injectors. Obviously not all at the same time! Confused

But I have absolutely no idea how heavy the block would be??

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Take everything off the engine that's connected to the car including bottom engine mounts. Drop shell onto floor, undo top engine mounts, drag engine out, lift up shell onto stands again.
That's how I do them
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
This is for the Golf btw, there is no bottom engine mount, just a lower gearbox support thats already gone with the subframe. The engine/box is literally just rocking on its two top mounts now, only a few pipes and wires left connected atm. And that sounds like a good idea dropping the shell, hadn't thought of that!!

But I'm more worried about whether I'll be strong enough to lift the block at all? Also I take it the sump will be strong enough to take the weight of the block?

Edit - Actually, like that would it be easier to drop the engine and 'box as one then seperate them on the ground?
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyG_3Qlnu...re=related
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2012, 08:25 AM)Toms306 Wrote: This is for the Golf btw, there is no bottom engine mount, just a lower gearbox support thats already gone with the subframe. The engine/box is literally just rocking on its two top mounts now, only a few pipes and wires left connected atm. And that sounds like a good idea dropping the shell, hadn't thought of that!!

But I'm more worried about whether I'll be strong enough to lift the block at all? Also I take it the sump will be strong enough to take the weight of the block?

Edit - Actually, like that would it be easier to drop the engine and 'box as one then seperate them on the ground?

I doubt you will lift the block on your own tbh. Just drop the lot on the floor and split it all on the floor much easier
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-10-2012, 08:27 AM)ginge191 Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyG_3Qlnu...re=related

Lol, hadnt seen that before......not sure the engine would be entirely useable after that though lol!! Plus thered be a slight issue doing that....theres not much left of the Golf now lol.

(23-10-2012, 08:29 AM)Niall Wrote:
(23-10-2012, 08:25 AM)Toms306 Wrote: This is for the Golf btw, there is no bottom engine mount, just a lower gearbox support thats already gone with the subframe. The engine/box is literally just rocking on its two top mounts now, only a few pipes and wires left connected atm. And that sounds like a good idea dropping the shell, hadn't thought of that!!

I doubt you will lift the block on your own tbh. Just drop the lot on the floor and split it all on the floor much easier

Hmmm, well the car's at my Nans house...I'll get her to give me a hand with the lift then. lol

And ok I'll do that then, sounds like a plan, cheers Niall! Smile
Thanks given by:
You won't lift the block on your own, I can barely lift a bare dw/xud lump with no rods, pistons etc, I mean I can just about, but there's no way I could do it without great risk of it landing on toes.. It's a two man lift for a bare block really... You'll hurt yourself otherwise, dragging it you'd be fine, but if you have to lift it over something, youd do yourself an injury...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
But in all fairness Ruan, there's more muscle on my knob than there is on your arms! :p
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'm wearing steel toe caps ruan....keep dropping shit on my feet as it is haha.

Also managed to catch the subframe with one finger between that and a ramp yesterday...need steel finger caps I think.

Maybe with my accident proneness I shouldn't attempt lifting it lol! I was just guessing it'd be around gearbox weight but obviously not then!
Thanks given by:
Tom from what i remember your not a big bloke at all so theres no way your gonna lift the engine on your own.

As a guide most normal people can lift a little more than their own body weight and a PD is defo gonna be 150kg ish.
Thanks given by:
Eat some spinach and MTFU!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
I took engine and box out of Saxo on my own. I cut the slam panel off, dropped the engine on to a tyre undid the top mounts jacked the shell up then dragged the engine and box on the tyre.
Thanks given by:
Get down to the gym lol ive lifted an XUD9T and box out of a pug, golf engine and box cant be much heavier lol, best way ive found with most cars is just drop subframe and everythin out the bottom pal, iv got massive axel stands for this for good access Smile

forgot to mention how i did that had a few tow ropes over a metal beam in mates garage but managed to pul it out Smile
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah but cj, remember you're a mountain of a man! Tom is about as big as your forearm lol
drop it out the bottom and drag the fecker out. Use the hdi if needs be haha
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Cj you could probably bicep curl a block easy haha
Thanks given by:
well 16" forearm poor guy he must be tiny lol, drop the struts subby etc easiest way id say

Haha doubt it matt but hopefully one day i always look forward to engine swap saves going gym for deadlifts lol
Thanks given by:
Get a mate to help you - good strong rope and a length of scaffold tube and sorted or I could send someone up to you but he charges by the mile and hour but he lifts engines in and out of cars by hand - he's 6ft 2 and 27 stone
Thanks given by:
i would lower the engine onto the floor with a trolley jack, if you have the front end high enough you would be able to drag the engine out the bottom..
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:
I'm not quite that small. lol

But I'm not overly strong either. I weigh about 57kilos, 28" waist, 5ft11.........but I have surprised myself with lifting the beam and stuff!

With the 'get a mate to help' I probably wouldnt need this thread if that was an option lol.

And as I said earlier, subframe steering rack, struts, hubs etc are all gone! Literally I have the rad/fans then the engine and box rocking on the top engine mounts. Thats all thats left at the front so I'm hoping it should be easy enough access now lol.

I was gonna try lowering it on a trolley jack but I just know it'd overbalance and end up straight on the floor.......probably with me under it! lol
Thanks given by:
I say get an engine crane and do it properly... Saves moving the car and pissing round with other stuff, Hok upto the crane starting lifting and cut anything it catches on lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2012, 10:48 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: well 16" forearm poor guy he must be tiny lol, drop the struts subby etc easiest way id say

Haha doubt it matt but hopefully one day i always look forward to engine swap saves going gym for deadlifts lol

Remind me to invite you down when we change out my engine Smile
Thanks given by:
£30 odd from HSS in ipswich tom for the day.

Get a wooden pallet, lift it out properly & put it on a pallet, much easier & more sensible!
Thanks given by:

Confused

Tomorows job then.....Big Grin

I looked on thier website this morning Jordan....but £30 for an engine that may just end up scrapped in a few weeks seems a bit much to me! I'll try nialls method, and if it doesn't work then I'll have to change plan lol.
Thanks given by:
Jack the car up, hold the gearbox and engine up with a scissor jack one on the box one on the engine.

Undo all the mounts and everything holding the engine, box to the car.

Grind off the lower chassis rail (cars being broke for spares after all)

Lower the jacks down evenly

Roll the car back and one engine and box removed Smile

That's how I've always done it on scrap cars
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Matt ;

Haha no worries im up in the north but alway happy to help out

Tom;

Its all in the legs pal iv only got 28" thighs and bridging on 16stone so can see what you mean, dynamo the magician could do it i rekon lol,

However you do it hope it goes well bud

CJ
Thanks given by:
we could start a new thread in the photos section ??

"injuries and damage i have done to myself " with a small write up of the injury/cause/ medical help needed ???
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2012, 01:44 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I'm not quite that small. lol

But I'm not overly strong either. I weigh about 57kilos, 28" waist, 5ft11.........but I have surprised myself with lifting the beam and stuff!

Holy f*cksticks! I'm shorter than Tom!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2012, 10:22 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:

your shorter than a 5 year old liam....

Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-10-2012, 10:25 PM)Niall Wrote:
(23-10-2012, 10:22 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:

your shorter than a 5 year old liam....

F*ck off! I'm 5ft 10...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
me and Sam barker dragged a full xud block minus bosch and turbo up into his van . . . . . coz we're Northern and hard as fcuking nails pal . . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone near Chatteris with engine crane jayspug86 4 1,038 12-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Chris_90