Spongy/Zero brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spongy/Zero brakes
My DT failed it MOT in Mid Aug, part of the fail sheet was replacing the front brakes. I replaced the front discs and pads probs about six weeks ago, since then its sat on the driveway (been real busy).

Started it up today (first turn of the key) and pressed the peddle, it felt pretty spongy so I gave it a few more pumps and each time it got worse.
Now the peddle feels very spongy and can reach the floor, the peddle does return.

So what have I ****ed up?

Is it possible the pads have just rusted to the discs and stayed there while the caliper flails about? or is it likely something else?
Thanks given by:
got any fluid left in the res?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Twat all your calipers with a hammer that should free it all off lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2012, 01:07 PM)Tom Wrote: Twat all your calipers with a hammer that should free it all off lol

thats not the issue he seems to be having, more likely that a seal or a pipe has burst, allowing all the fluid to piss out of the system when he pushes the pedal

Thanks given by:
I was more aiming my answer towards his caliper idea Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
check for a leak, got to be a burst some where along the brake pipes, for it to get worse each time more of the fliud has to be escaping.
306 HDi Dturbo- China Blue

Thanks given by:
Cheers, I'd considered a leak and had a quick look, but I'll get the wheels off and I'll double check. I'd hoped that because the pedal kept returning even tho the brakes were getting soft that there was no leak.

I really hope it isn't a burst flexible hose tho, I f*cking hate changing hoses and bleeding brakes - it never go's smoothly.
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2012, 03:12 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: Cheers, I'd considered a leak and had a quick look, but I'll get the wheels off and I'll double check. I'd hoped that because the pedal kept returning even tho the brakes were getting soft that there was no leak.

I really hope it isn't a burst flexible hose tho, I f*cking hate changing hoses and bleeding brakes - it never go's smoothly.

Check the mc see if you have any fluid left in it.

If you need new hoses it's a good time to upgrade to braided
Thanks given by:
the pedals have a spring to return them, so they'll always come back up. might have shat a seal on a slave cylinder. have you got discs all round?

Thanks given by:
No, it's standard DT discs up front and drums on the rear.
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, better hope its not a leaky cylinder on the rear! Well, I would anyway, I hate drums, such a pain in the arse to work on!

Thanks given by:
im going to say a brake cylinder on the back!! there easy to do, split the drum and it pretty self explanatory from there! just make sure you dont round the two bolts that hold it on the cylinder in place otherwise your in for alot of fun...
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:
Think I found the problem, checked all the hoses and lines and couldn't find a leak.
Popped the wheels off today to check out the calipers and found this staring me in the face.

[Image: brake1.jpg]

This is correct right?

[Image: brake2.jpg]

god I hate those stupid par retaining clips.
Will get the discs cleaned up and see if it helps things - forgot my keys so couldn't test it at the time.
Thanks given by:
That clip wouldn't make your brakes feel like that, the pads would be rattly but if they're still there it won't make your pedal soft.

It only takes a tiny leak in the brake pipes to lose pedal feel, are you absolutely sure there's none?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
you may of also 'boiled' youre brake fluid. A change should see a good improvement

Thanks given by:
The front pipes are pretty prone to Perishing when they're old. I'd check those if it's not a rear cyl, they can look fine but seep from the tiny splits etc
Thanks given by:
Even with skanky, awful to drive brake fluid in my car the pedal behaved as normal. Squidgy pedal that sinks to the floor is normally indicative of a borked Master Cylinder, usually from pumping the pedal too vigorously when flushing. Check for leaks first, but reservoir level will give away if it's leaking or not.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SPONGY CLUTCH, heavenly 5 1,009 27-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Niall
  Spongy brakes? Ryan'dolan 4 1,285 10-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Ryan'dolan
  Brake pedal spongy Jtrigga 12 2,742 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Niall