Programming Key Fobs with 1 or 2 buttons?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programming Key Fobs with 1 or 2 buttons?
Can anyone tell me whether a fob with 2 buttons (from my '94 xrdt) will work with my newer '99 Ph2 car. The fob that came with the '99 car only has one button.
[Image: 2306s.png]

The Old_______and_______Slight Less Old
Thanks given by:
Unsure if helpful, but both me and my mum have a '99 ph3 with 2 buttons on the fob.
My old '97 ph2 had 1 button on the fob.
Thanks given by:
My 96 xtdt has a 2 button fob, Unsure if helpful but worth a mention.

Do you know if its RF or Infared?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yes i would of thought it would work. But iv had a ph1 1995, a ph2 1997 a ph2.5 1998 and a ph 3 1999 all of which have had the twin buttom fob. Im on my 3rd 1997 ph2 again all of which have had twin botton. Never seen a single so cant see why it wouldnt work

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Cheers guys for your input (and StarBenn's Mum).

I'm asking because I'm struggling to programme my old key (with new batteries and flashing LED light when buttons are pressed) to work with my new car.

Used the various guides on the net which all say the same about turn the key to A, hold the fob close to receiver and press the big button, then the small button and then turn off and wait 5 seconds. But no joy Sad

Any other hints would be appreciated.

(20-10-2012, 12:19 PM)Tom Wrote: My 96 xtdt has a 2 button fob, Unsure if helpful but worth a mention.

Do you know if its RF or Infared?

From what I've read I believe Infared.

Thanks given by:
I think the two button fob locks and if u press it again deadlocks It ?? Suppose you can't do that with a single button key ???
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2012, 07:17 PM)Jukie88 Wrote: I think the two button fob locks and if u press it again deadlocks It ?? Suppose you can't do that with a single button key ???

That's my understanding of having had one of each.

(20-10-2012, 06:55 PM)Smiley69 Wrote: Cheers guys for your input (and StarBenn's Mum).

You're welcome.
Though my mum deserves no thanks, I just know as I'm borrowing hers while she's on holiday. lol
Thanks given by:
Also arnt you supposed to have another key in the ignistion on the 1 st click?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Dunno if it helps but my 106 had a 1 button key. Maybe it's a reprogrammed key from a 106? Can't imagine the ir units are that different between the 2 models.
Thanks given by:
You reprogramme them with a pugplanet if you know someone with one?
Thanks given by:
I got pug planet and used it and the guide on here to reprogramme my key. I want a second key but want to know if I can reuse a transponder chip from another 306 by selecting 2 keys when using pug planet. Bit worried about screwing up my 306 or a new key.
Thanks given by:
Yes you can in answer to your question but the central locking on the key wont work when you try and program it through PP. if yours in infra red, you need to follow the instructions on the net.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2012, 07:17 PM)Jukie88 Wrote: I think the two button fob locks and if u press it again deadlocks It ?? Suppose you can't do that with a single button key ???

You press the big button to lock the car and the second smaller button to activate the deadlocks.
As my new 306 came with a single button fob, does this mean it's not fitted with deadlocks or are they automatically activated with a single button after the normal central locking has operated?

(21-10-2012, 10:52 AM)puglove Wrote: Also arnt you supposed to have another key in the ignistion on the 1 st click?

Most guides tell you to remove the actual key from the fob, turn it to "A" and then follow the process with just your fob nice and close to the receiver, which I've done several times.
They all say wait 5 seconds and "Tadah! Big Grin" Unfortunately I've had no "Tadah!Huh"

Is it a minimum or maximum of 5 seconds? Or just approx?

Thanks given by:
(22-10-2012, 07:22 PM)Smiley69 Wrote: You press the big button to lock the car and the second smaller button to activate the deadlocks.

No. Big button locks on first press. Deadlocks on second press. Little button unlocks. Smile
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2012, 07:58 PM)StarBenn Wrote:
(22-10-2012, 07:22 PM)Smiley69 Wrote: You press the big button to lock the car and the second smaller button to activate the deadlocks.

No. Big button locks on first press. Deadlocks on second press. Little button unlocks. Smile

That may have been for your cars, however my my Ph1 was locked and unlocked using the big button only and deadlocks with the small button. The car was a '94 so the key shape/layout/functionality may be slightly different.

I know my parent's 307 has a large and small button on the key fob.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming keys to different BSI allye 8 2,629 26-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Keyfob programming/confusion. Photos inside Dazecoop 17 6,763 09-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305
  1 Button key programming Chris_90 1 1,310 07-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Chris_90