Cabriolet Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabriolet Questions
Hi guys, I've got a load of questions for you all to answer Smile sorry if they seem dumb but I'm new to the 306 scene.

It's an X reg 1.8 16v cabriolet in china blue. Looking to modify in an OEM fashion.

[Image: uvu8amy4.jpg]

[Image: yhe2ajub.jpg]

1) Cabriolet/hatchback differences.

Looking at the panels I don't know which are the same/different. I know the doors aren't the same but what about the wings/bumpers etc?

2) Exhaust.

Is there a difference in exhaust for the cabriolet ie is it a longer system? I will be putting a GTi6 manifold and cat one on there soon Smile

3) Interior.

Is the seats, carpet etc the same? I'm looking at getting blue S16 seats but I'm concerned about the back seat fitment.

4) Brembos.

Will fit behind Cyclones with 15mm spacers? Also, if I was to convert to stud and nut how long can you get the studs?

5) GTi6 bits. (Most importantly)

I've seen that the GTi6 'box and inlet can be done. I'm looking at doing the gearbox first but I've heard that the GTi6 gearbox needs a new steering rack?

6) What phase is my car :embarrassed:

Think that's it. All help appreciated Smile

Matt
Thanks given by:
Everything on the front is the same as the other variants... The rear ights etc are different and I believe the rear bumper.

I believe the exhaust will be the same, although there's been mixed opinions on the benefits/downfalls to fitting GTi engine parts.

Front seats, I would have thought, are the same. Rear seat is different however and not sure on the carpet.

As already said, you may want to do some searching on the 1.8>GTi manifold swaps. Some say it's fine, others say the stock management can't deal with it. Yeah, to do the conversion properly you will, as the gearbox is bigger and foul on right hand lock.
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2012, 09:53 PM)Matt306 Wrote: 1) Cabriolet/hatchback differences.

Looking at the panels I don't know which are the same/different. I know the doors aren't the same but what about the wings/bumpers etc?

2) Exhaust.

Is there a difference in exhaust for the cabriolet ie is it a longer system? I will be putting a GTi6 manifold and cat one on there soon Smile

3) Interior.

Is the seats, carpet etc the same? I'm looking at getting blue S16 seats but I'm concerned about the back seat fitment.

4) GTi6 bits. (Most importantly)

I've seen that the GTi6 'box and inlet can be done. I'm looking at doing the gearbox first but I've heard that the GTi6 gearbox needs a new steering rack?

1) Anything behind the base of the windscreen is different. The only bits the same are front wings bonnet and bumper.

2) IIRC the mid and back box are different but the cat is the same.

3) the front seats would fit in a 3dr (IIRC) but nothing else will, the rear is narrower, the rear bench is narrower and sits at a different angle and the floor pan is different cos of the massive strengthening beams along the sills and the fact the car is a shorter wheelbase than any other 306 and s such the carpet wont fit.

4) you can fit GTi manifolds but yoll need a GTi6 cat to fit the exhaust. You could fit a GTi6 box but without the revs and power of the 6 engine its pretty useless and may mean your car isnt actually as fun to drive.
Thanks given by:
Exhaust manifold is fine. Think it's the inlet people have problems with.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2012, 09:53 PM)Matt306 Wrote: 1) Cabriolet/hatchback differences.

As already said, the only matching body panels are from the wingmirrors forward - everything else is bespoke to the cabriolet

(07-10-2012, 09:53 PM)Matt306 Wrote: 2) Exhaust.

Different centre-section, I believe the whole thing is longer. If you want a sports exhaust the easiest thing to do will be to get one made up / custom fabricated.

(07-10-2012, 09:53 PM)Matt306 Wrote: 3) Interior.

Seats just won't fit I'm affraid. Rear bench is narrower for a start and the front seats are on different sliding mechanisms. If you wanted to retro-fit some other seats then you're looking at taking the seats off of their existing runners and fitting them to your desired seats. Could bolt straight in - might not. Rear bench certainly won't though.

(07-10-2012, 09:53 PM)Matt306 Wrote: 4) Brembos.

Will fit behind Cyclones with 15mm spacers? Also, if I was to convert to stud and nut how long can you get the studs?

Yes I believe that is the case, however I have never bothered myself, whilst the cabriolet is heavy the GTi6 or 206 GTi180 setup is more than adequate stopping power, so can't answer your other question either...

(07-10-2012, 09:53 PM)Matt306 Wrote: 5) GTi6 bits. (Most importantly)

No point really, I have owned a 1.8 hatch and done the manifolds myself and bought a 1.8 cabriolet which had already had the work done. It did circa 22mpg on one full tank of fuel - it was over-fuelling like a bitch. Really not worth it. The only way to get it to properly work is to go aftermarket ECU route - which is going to cost more than any GTi6 engine conversion. If you want more power, get a GTi6 donor car and swap the engine, box, ECU, engine loom, clocks, power-steering rack, front brakes, cooling system (rad / pipes etc.) and exhaust downpipe. This is definitely your most cost-effective way to more power.

(07-10-2012, 09:53 PM)Matt306 Wrote: 6) What phase is my car :embarrassed:

Phase 3, identified by the clear headlights and clear foglights (phase 2's had frosted)
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Wicked thanks guys.
Thanks given by:
Front wings are different as well
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2012, 08:01 PM)306cab Wrote: Front wings are different as well

Since when? Every thing from the doors forward is the same? I no of a guy who put A N/S wing and bonnet from a hatch on a cab?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Well, the rub-strips are different. But the wing is identical, as far as I am aware.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Front wings are different, they are shorter at the bottom due to the sill running full length right to the front.
Thanks given by: