406 HUBS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
406 HUBS
After a breif and ongoing conversation with dum dum about brembo's has any one had any experiance of fittin 406 front hubs to a 306.

I do actualy have a 406 that i can pinch the hub's off but just wanted to no of any issue's any one has encountered??
Thanks given by:
Why would you want to?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I thought brembos fitted to 306 hubs? And the offset is different if I remember correctly...ET13? Not sure if you'll have some issues with arch scrubbing at that offset.
Thanks given by:
More to tackle the squeling. The disc would be in the center of the caliper. Also you could run 305mm disc's.

Ive ran xantia 288mm for 4000miles and the bring tears to puppy dogs eyes. Dumdum said hes running some super dooper disc's but even they squel at low speeds.
Thanks given by:
Would be interesting to see if you could be done and how it would effect the width of the track of the car

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
My thoughts exactly. I cant imagine the ball joint hole is in the same postion on the hub so that the drive shaft is still the correct length.......If that makes anysense?
Thanks given by:
The 406 might only be ET13 due to longer wishbones though.

But yes this is all to try and fix the squealing of the brembos (and be able to use the bigger (and cheaper and IIRC lighter) discs)
Thanks given by:
There is a hell of alot to consider with this . What you mentioned above . The TRE possion. This may create camber depending on how the shock lines up etc. I think its going to be a case of by one from the scrappy and have a go. As far as im aware it hasnt been tryed before

Thanks given by:
Give me a week ill report back
Thanks given by:
Make sure you do, id like to know the out come

Thanks given by:
Well in our yard we got a scrap t boned 406 coupe v6 so ill pinch a hub for a day.
Thanks given by:
I dont think it would fix the noise, from what ive been told the noise is because of the shitty shims not keeping the pads straight when braking, they are sold on ebay in stainless steel and a neww pin set with this apparently cures the problem, i will be finding out soon as im rebuilding my brembos with these items and fitting hopefully in next few weeks will keep you posted how i get on

These are the shims i mean http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Turbo-Cou...500wt_1144
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
this could be good Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Those stainless shims make naff all difference imo. i tried them but as i said befor sticky teflon works but dosnt last more then a few months.

Dont forget tho that on the 406 they barely sqeul ever when fitted correctly because the offset of the disc is correct in comparison to the caliper. The calipers and disc's where paired up in the factory on the 406 so should work well with out pissing buyers off lol.

Every one including my self thinks they can stop them sqeuling when fitting them to a 306 but i havent spoken to or found a 306 that dosnt sqeul. ( without buying ash's bell kit etc off the 6 forum)
Thanks given by:
I think adjustment in toe would be your main concern, but if that's the only problem you could fix that quite simply!

I'd like to say it's possible as I ran 306 hubs on my 205...
Thanks given by:
Does any body no if the 406 shafts are the same length as 306 ones and or if the outer cv has the same splines/amount??
Thanks given by:
Well me mate has a 406 v6 and has the same noise mine did, hes spoken to loads of owners on the forums and they all have the same squeel eventually think how old these cars are and the fact they have worn parts in, these shims dont sit behind the pad they sit either side and eliminate side to side movement which causes noise and can also work the pins out which in turn creates an even bigger squeel

Think about it why would the offset of the hub/disk affect it in a way to make them squeel like they do mine only used to squeek a tiny bit but the squeel like fook when the pins worked there way out

Anyway il see how i go and let you know
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I used to work for peugeot Im a qualified peugeot tech i have thought about it alot. never have i heard a 406 sqeul like a 306 on brembo's.

Mine has both anti rattle shims (your ebay link) and stainless shims between the pad and the piston and it still squels. My 6 was in constant use up untill a month ago. i do very heavy mileage and as i own my own garage my car is looked after mechanically to a very high standard.

Brake squel is caused by viabrations. The pads rubbing on the disc make them vibrate against the pistons in the caliper. the vibration is etheir caused by imperfections in the disc or warping of the disc or high metalic content within the pad.

I personaly think that as the disc isnt sat in the oem postion (in the middle of the caliper) that the pads/ pistons vibrate at low speed due to one side of the caliper pistons having to move more then the other. Ive also found in the time ive had them on that on both sides that the inner pad wears faster then the outer.
Thanks given by:
Is there any chance of a load of pics of the differences while you do this and possibly some measurements too
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2012, 12:36 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Is there any chance of a load of pics of the differences while you do this and possibly some measurements too

This ^^^^ of this works out i may get myself some brembos.

@Chris you know those 2 pots you had/have. Was the 308 they came off of a 4or5 stud? Thinking this hub adapsion could be used for that aplication also.

Thanks given by:
Jamie theyre off a 4007 and i dont know how many studs, they wont fit a 306 or 406 hub cos the bolt spacing is about 130mm rather than the pugs 80mm so youd need adaptors made.
Thanks given by:
This what im saying chris. I wonder if the 4007 hub would be usable. ( or a hub from another car with two pots) the only thing is that the pug set ups have advanced alot since then. So i wonder if its do able. If you get?

Thanks given by:
Ah i get you, i strongly doubt the 4007 will work as its bassed on a mitsubishi
Thanks given by:
Might be somthing out there with a twin pot that the hub is adaptable though. Worth a research

Thanks given by:
Been Thinking again ( yes a very painfull process for me) but would the 406 hub resolve the issue with fitting cyclones over the top,

I.E is the caliper and disc set back a little more on the 406 meaning you would only 10mm or no spacer? HHHMMM if this is the case this could be really good for me, its pretty much the only reason iv never bought any

Thanks given by:
Im not sure that the brembos on 305mm discs would fit inside the diameter of the 15" wheel however Callum is on 15s so will be able to confirm.

That said having looked at technical drawings of the 406 discs and the xantia discs the 406 ones are set further back from the face of the hub by a few mm if not more.
Thanks given by:
So it could be a posibility then? well when thethorne comes back with weather they fit , i will start my own little test of brembo, or let you get on it then bring one of my cyclones over and see if i can fit it over Big Grin

Thanks given by:
If i get a set any time soon then ill drive up to scotts and test fit one of his clones as he has 2 sets in his garage.

Having spoken to Callum the other night its sounding like these might add some camber to the front wheels so that might affect your oppinion
Thanks given by:
Will send my compbrake top mounts back then Tongue lol, camber=good right lol

I did think this in the first place. could of been + or - though, im taking it it will give negative camber? if this is the case it sounds spot on to me, this could be a real pioneering rout to resolving the age old issue of brembos though and the issue of extra camber without having to chop the shell

Thanks given by:
This is getting interesting Smile

406 Hubs are going to go up in price!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XUD hubs on Hdi ct-hdi 2 1,141 09-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  hubs cluskie 6 1,772 14-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Last Post: 306gtiparts
  Hubs Dale 7 2,795 27-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Dale