XUD powered kit car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD powered kit car
Following on from my intro thread and requests for pics here's my project:

It's an MK Indy, I started building it in 2004 and got it on the road with a ford pinto engine and twin webbers. I think it was making about 130-140bhp, and in a car that weighs the square root of naff all, it could scare the arse off me.

After having it on the road a couple of years I went for an engine swap to a straight six. Somehow I managed to make it fit but due to losing too much pedal space and loads of other problems I took the lot out and sold the bits on. I started to get more and more interested in diesels, especially mechanical injection. Going back to a 4 pot is great in terms of engine bay space! So easy to work on.

I'm going to run a bare interior which doesn't matter if it gets soaked (out with the cobra leather seats, in with fibreglass ones) I'm going to use it all year round in all weathers. Rear diff is a sierra 3.62 LSD. Something I plan on doing down the line is changing to a BMW diff with a better ratio to suit the XUD. Also change from 17 to 15" wheels.

[Image: xud123.jpg]

[Image: xud01.jpg]

[Image: xud11-1.jpg]

[Image: xud03.jpg]

[Image: xud02.jpg]

Starting the first engine mount (using land rover rubbers)
[Image: xud07a.jpg]
[Image: xud09.jpg]

Ran out of time to do any more today, should get the second mount and gearbox mount made next time I'm up there. Then engine and box out again to sort out the tunnel (it was made bigger for the straight six, I'll be able to return it to standard now)

Couldn't resist doing a turbo access comparison Tongue
[Image: xud04-1.jpg]

[Image: xud06.jpg]

I've seen the sticky in this section about bypassing the heater. As I have no windscreen and no need for a heater, will I be able to work around this? If it means keeping a heater matrix then I can put it in the top of the passenger footwell. I'm sure i've got more XUD questions, I'll post them up when I've had a think
Thanks given by:
Wow, what a great project, will be keeping an eye on this...
Thanks given by:
tremendous project subscribed. Welcome in btw lol
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
This is Fking epic!!!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
very cool, should be good fun in the wet Tongue
Thanks given by:
Imagine the turbo you could fit in there!
Thanks given by:
This should be amazing, running on SVO for extra manpoints!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
epic mate why not twin turbo it Smile. also what you doing with the shell of the car. could do with some bits as its same colour Smile
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Very nice! You'll easily see the same 140 bhp if not more from these engines safely and a shed load more torque. Crack I g project though!
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
thanks for the replies!

(28-09-2012, 10:13 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: This should be amazing, running on SVO for extra manpoints!

Yeah I'd quite like to try that ^_^

(28-09-2012, 10:16 PM)karl1989 Wrote: epic mate why not twin turbo it Smile. also what you doing with the shell of the car. could do with some bits as its same colour Smile

I don't know what to do turbo-wise yet, probably stick with one for now Big Grin An eaton supercharger would be nice to add at some point. The car in the background is fully working, I got the engine for the kit car on it's own Smile

(29-09-2012, 12:39 AM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Very nice! You'll easily see the same 140 bhp if not more from these engines safely and a shed load more torque. Crack I g project though!

That's good to hear, my aim is around 140-150 area. If anyone has any input on best way to achieve that then I'm all ears. I'll have a front mounted intercooler in the nosecone, other than that I've not made any solid plans yet for turbo, pump, injectors etc

Off to the scrapyard now! Need a starter motor & exhaust manifold. Usually lots of diesel XUD engined cars there.
Thanks given by:
For that kind of power you'll want a standard Bosch pump and injectors, rather than Lucas ones. Pump will want a couple of tweeks, governor shimmed and lda pin turned around/ground. As for the turbo you could get that power on a standard one but it would be really pushing it, so you'd be better off with an upgrade. Loads of turbos to choose from just depends how much you want to spend!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Epic! Full of xud win there mate. What gearbox are you going to use to sent the power to tge back?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
deffo keeping a eye on this good project
[Image: 306sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 09:39 AM)Ben Wrote: For that kind of power you'll want a standard Bosch pump and injectors, rather than Lucas ones. Pump will want a couple of tweeks, governor shimmed and lda pin turned around/ground. As for the turbo you could get that power on a standard one but it would be really pushing it, so you'd be better off with an upgrade. Loads of turbos to choose from just depends how much you want to spend!

Pretty much this! But get the LDA ground to they to reduce the smoke (it will always be hella smokey but ya'know lol
As for turbo's go if you only want 150bhp I'd reccomend a T25 or TD04l 13t
They're pretty much good for up to 180 bhp. If you have the chance to get your hands of some con rods from a HDI and get them in there you'll be looking at 200 + ish so the options are pretty good and not bad bang for your buck.
As for the pump goes if your not already running Bosch then you'll also need to replace the bracket lines and injectors
Thanks given by:
Very nice projecr mate. Very different not sure iv ever seeb a derv in that style of shell. Cabt wait to see the out come

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Probably something like this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVOFWcXf...ata_player
Thanks given by:
Awesome project, can't wait to see the end result
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 09:39 AM)Ben Wrote: For that kind of power you'll want a standard Bosch pump and injectors, rather than Lucas ones. Pump will want a couple of tweeks, governor shimmed and lda pin turned around/ground. As for the turbo you could get that power on a standard one but it would be really pushing it, so you'd be better off with an upgrade. Loads of turbos to choose from just depends how much you want to spend!

Thanks for the info. I have a bosch pump, and got lines and injectors today from the scrapyard. I got a standard turbo today, I think I'm going to run that to begin with and get it MOT'd and on the road, then I'll do tweaks and upgrades on a rolling basis.

(29-09-2012, 11:23 AM)londondan86 Wrote: Epic! Full of xud win there mate. What gearbox are you going to use to sent the power to tge back?

I'm using a gearbox from an LDV pilot. I looked up the ratios recently and they're actually a lot better than I was expecting, better than the ford type 9 I used to have in my kit car. The pilots had mad high rear axle ratios (and n/a engine) so don't exactly have a reputation for speed Big Grin

(29-09-2012, 12:13 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Pretty much this! But get the LDA ground to they to reduce the smoke (it will always be hella smokey but ya'know lol
As for turbo's go if you only want 150bhp I'd reccomend a T25 or TD04l 13t
They're pretty much good for up to 180 bhp. If you have the chance to get your hands of some con rods from a HDI and get them in there you'll be looking at 200 + ish so the options are pretty good and not bad bang for your buck.
As for the pump goes if your not already running Bosch then you'll also need to replace the bracket lines and injectors

Thanks for that, for some reason I've had a laser cut T25 flange sitting on my shelf for about 6 years so when I upgrade the turbo i'll be tempted to use that turbo!

Today's haul: fuel filter housing, that block thingy that has pipes that go to the heater, 4 bosch injectors, turbo & manifold, priming grenade, and a blanking plate from a citroen that blanks the back of the cam off (I don't run a servo on the brakes) £25 ThumbsUp
[Image: 29092012678.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What turbo is that? Can't say I've seen the KKK range really. It looks to be a k14 I think?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, just looked on the label and it's a K14
Thanks given by:
This project is awesome, I shall be keane to see this go on the road. Such a spectacle to see an XUD put into such an awesome car!! This with 300ftlb and 180hp would be truly amazing. Where are you based in Leicestershire?
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah I can't wait to have it back on the road again ^_^ I'm just outside Melton Mowbray
Thanks given by:
Sweet, I been over there today, which side? When are you expecting to have it all together and working again?, has been a long while in the making! You have now just made it so much more interesting for me by putting that block in there hehe
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2012, 05:52 PM)Dave Wrote: Sweet, I been over there today, which side? When are you expecting to have it all together and working again?, has been a long while in the making! You have now just made it so much more interesting for me by putting that block in there hehe

I'm in waltham on the wolds so north east. Do you live nearby? It's been a long time off the road, I decided to go XUD power a couple of weeks ago so it's happening quite quickly. When will it be on the road? hmmm, my most feared question Big Grin It's going well at the moment, physically mounting the engine and box and prop are the easy parts, then it's all the little bits that add up and sap time.

What I plan to do is get the engine in and transmission tunnel done at my workshop, then trailer it home so I can do all the fiddly small bits in the evenings: plumbing, wiring, throttle, clutch pedal hose, fitting a smaller alternator, finding and fitting an intercooler in the nosecone, piping for that. Not looking forward to wiring, on the other hand it doesn't get that much simpler with an XUD (I was using megasquirt with my straight six, wiring loom looked like a jungle)
Thanks given by:
Ahh im at grantham, so north east side just down road, no one else around here likes diesels! 8 years off the road is a bloody long time Wink well you make the right choice I think personally with going XUD power haha, parts are so cheap, I have 4 spare blocks for my motor in melton at the moment + loads of ancillary extras. Yea with a car like yours though, it shouldnt be too much of an effort its not like you're fitting a modern engine with many small pipes/connectors, there are very few water hoses, and only a few switches and sensors which arnt even nesessary for operation, just the old doorbel wire to solenoid valve.
I was gonna ask, looks like you have a fairly decent workshop there, I take it thats away from home? Your wiring wont be an issue I dont think, only for the rest of the car. Good to see you on the site!
Thanks given by:
Ahh grantham's not far away at all. I went to school there so know it well, most of my family is lincolnshire born so I'm often over that neck of the woods. XUD parts are v cheap I've found so far which is great Big Grin Workshop is away from home, but not too far away. My friend I share it with is starting to convert his morris minor to XUD too, he loves diesels too. Are you running an XUD 306 at the moment? If so me and my friend would both like to see it if you're ever in the area and want to come and drop in. I can't send you a pm at the moment, I guess I've not got enough posts yet?
Thanks given by:
Ive been considering doing this to my locost peice of shite (started building myself when i was 15 and im not 21 and its still stuck in the garage! lol)

Ive seen it done in a few of these type kit cars and they go well aparently.. they never expect to see the cloud of coal when they pull off lol!
Thanks given by:
Cool, did you build your own chassis? I've seen of a couple of diesel kit cars but can't find much on the net about them, other than these:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247471

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopi...=35&t=1400
Thanks given by:
T25 been a proven turbo on xud's iv currently got one on mine and seeing 160bhp last time it was rr'd can be laggy though!
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2012, 10:48 AM)Xud Missile Wrote: Cool, did you build your own chassis? I've seen of a couple of diesel kit cars but can't find much on the net about them, other than these:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247471

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopi...=35&t=1400

Yeah, all from a garage floor, and some chalk and a tape measure etc lol

You bought your chassis etc i take it as its a MK?

seen them use old bmw dervs aswell, not that much faffing around then either
Thanks given by: