turbos.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turbos.....
right i want to put a bigger blower on the dt but dont know what to use, i don't fancy beating the bulkhead to fit a td04 but want to know other turbos that would fit down behind block that are worth changing the turbo for ?
Thanks given by:
gt28 hybrid Wink
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
Its tight, but my td04 fits in with no bulkhead mods
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
td04s fit i just believe you may need to take your tapomiter and make a slight gap like 5mm or so just to be safe for engine rock
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
Just go for a gt15 Wink
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
may look into td04 then, no point changing k14 for a gt15 if i was going to do that i'd use a t2
Thanks given by:
Lookig about 120 if you fityour self? I put a td04 in parts that's on ebay 50quid buy it now might still be up for grabs
Thanks given by:
it's all well and good putting a bigger turbo on but if your not going for outright power and want more drivability a gt15 is the way forward. no lag it may run out of steam quicker but are you gov modded and is it a daily driver?
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Getting pump off cj when turbo come Smile and he uses that daily and seems fine
Thanks given by:
T25 for no hassle.
GT series for "modern" boost.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I drive a K04 XUD 205 everyday and never find the extra lag any issue. Fitted down with plenty room too.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
well it has been a daily but i would like to be in the power region of 160, on a lucas atm but i have bosch ready to go and will be gov mod and lda'd soon after , i had a dt with a gt15 and didn't rate it that much to be fair as im running k14 and seems to have alot more poke than when i had gt15.

also is a t25 bolt on then?
Thanks given by:
No other that stock turbo's are a direct bolt-on. You will have to make up your own adapter plates to get another turbo to fit.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
ok fair enough i might get looking for a blower then make an adaptor plate
Thanks given by:
was your old dt bosched and had a decent tune? i can honestly say i've owned so many dt's they've all had different turbo's and by far the best for me is gt15 bosched. is so much more drivable and as rippthrough says modern boost. You jump in a modern turbo diesel and there is no lag.

All mine have been stage 1'd and you do notice a difference between boosting times. Project T is at full boost way before Pat was starting to wake up lol. well thats what it feels like and thats a gt15 vs T2 both bosched

All i'm trying to say is change to a bosch give it a good tune and then decide if you want rid of the stock turbo.
Thanks given by:
no both had fuelling turnt up on a lucas, agreed the gt15 spooled up quicker but didnt seem to have much poke compared to the k14, ok i'll wait untill i've got the bosch on then see what it's like
Thanks given by:
good idea. i really don't have any love for a lucas pump as to be blunt they crap. harder to tune and fraglie as.

Once you bosch you'll see and it's so much easier to tune. Also as a bosch runs at a higher psi then a lucas fuel atomizes fuel better.

And do i need to mention once you bosch you can run SVO (straight vegetable oil)
Thanks given by:
I do agree with Kwik on the pump, I've had a few different set-up now. I've had a lucas and K14 and a Bosch and T2 and found the Bosch drove much better. But you still can't beat a big turbo'd and Bosch'd XUD IMO.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Don't get me wrong I know a big turbo on a Bosch is loads of fun. But big boost puts more stress on stuff. For a daily driver I for one am happy with stock no lag boost as that's what things have been designed for. Yes I know diesel's are over engineered but stock is good enough for me. May well not be for others but I have a 600 ninja for fun lol
Thanks given by:
Stock is boring, Im running Bosch Gov modded, internal work, Laser cut LDA pin, TD04L-15g turbo, only running low boost on front mount with shitty hoses, soon to be replaced with stainless pipes as creating more lag. but even with the over expanding boost hoses it pulls like a fecking train, if anything id say slightly less stress on thing is not running super high boost as engine doesnt seem to work as hard to get turbo spooling IMO may be wrong but its lovely daily cruising in 4th/5th with high MPG's

Also if your interested il have some more adaptor plates for the TD04 made this week hopefully Smile

Wouldnt bother with a GT15 even with gov mod they will run out of steam before your gov mod i believe

CJ
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
a gt15 is the best turbo with a stock pump trust me on that. i like the fact mine is starting to develop boost from the off. on a bigger turbo you have to wait till over 2k rpm for it to start to develop. that's why people gov mod so they can get the extra rev's they lose low down by putting on a bigger turbo but with more revs comes more problems. our engines weren't designed to rev that high they are not petrol. diesel engines are famed for their low down torque not their high revving engines.

People destroy their gt15's by trying to turn them up to much. got to remember that you can't turn them too high only up to 1.2 bar/17psi but even then that's stressing it that's why mine is still 1 bar/14.7psi and even then the amount of stuff i leave on the motorway still makes me chuckle lol
Is like your stereo if you turn it up to loud and the speakers distort you turn it back down right?

But this is all based on what i want other people are different of course lol
Thanks given by:
:rollseyes:
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
In some respects a gt15 and bosch is better to drive. For example for town driving id rather have that, but everywhere else I'd rather a big turbo.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i hear that but that brings me to my next point. daily drivers have to keep within speed limits as no one likes points so the gt15 is the best for that application. it runs out of steam just over the speed limits lmfao!

If it's a track car as well as a daily then yea big turbo it but me personally have my daily driver and then a superbike for fun.
Thanks given by:
Bigger turbos flow more irrelavent of Boost pressure most people think more psi more power incorrect, its all about the flow you can produce iirc, GT15s are tiny turbos so are pretty pointless, if you want a happy medium go for a hybrid T25 then you will have much less lag but will be able to hold boost into high revs, or as Ruan swears by a VNT turbo is the best way to go as you have boost right from the word go all the way up the rev range.

'diesel engines are famed for their low down torque not their high revving engines.'

that would be correct but we arnt running cummins engines which rev low and produce a lot of torque, gov modding a bosch to rev to say 5500 is still safe as others have proven its not high revs that kill these engines ruan dave and darren will back me up on this, iirc its excessive static/ dynamic advance that kills these
Thanks given by:
i totally hear what your saying and raun is bang on the money VNT is the way forward but if it's going to be a reliable daily driver he may not need to upgrade his turbo after he bosch's it as it may well be enough for him. i'm just not of the thinking a smaller turbo is a bad thng everything has it's pro's and cons. i think the most limiting stock factor by far on our engines is the damn lucas shite peugeot used to save money.

It's not just cummins engines i'm on about how about marine applications or trains? they don't gov mod them they rely on the insane low down torque produced.
Thanks given by:
fair point but wheres the fun in stock, i run bosch and td04 and think its great im probably creating a lot of lag due to soft rubber hosing for intercooler pipes but these came on the car and are soon to be changed to stainless throughout, i use as a daily and find it fine and rapid IMO, should hopefully be gettin my R1 by xmas too for extra adrenaline though Smile
Thanks given by:
there is alot of fun in stock but no where as much fun as my ZX6 lol. I consigned myself to the fact a few pugs ago that whatever i do to a 306 it will never be faster then a superbike. it will be way more safer but for pure fun the superbike wins hands down.

I think that's the main reason that i've only gone up to a bosch and left it there. if i never had the ZX6 i would've attempted a VNT conversion but whats the point. may aswell save myself money and stick with car and bike, bike leaves most things looking like they still not turned on their engine lol
Thanks given by:
To be fair i dont know of any cars that will keep up with a bike lol, hopefully i will be buying a R1 with full carbon fairings and wheels Smile just got to get £3800 for me mate to buy it lol,

Bigger blower doesnt really comprimise daily driving though and is fun if you can get the power down lol
Thanks given by:
Meh thats what efficient turbo's are for!
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by: