250ftlbs xud

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
250ftlbs xud
ok people here goes, i am taking the car to the ring early next year, and am looking for a reliable 250ftlbs of torque!!! thats the figure i have come up with anyway just to keep up with the many cars we have going gti6/type r etc.. and 2 derv pugs, need to do the coal burners proud Big Grin
Anyway i have the d8a/ t2/ bosch setup. what kind of power and torque can the d8a block handle with good reliability, whats your thoughts on setup people, thinking of running the td04 but can you keep the wastegate, as i dont want to run without one.
also what revs are they on full boost?
Looking to keep the 9mm head also to keep it reliable. will gov/lda though!!
Any input is welcome, cheers
Thanks given by:
not too hard to hit 250ftlbs of torque, as for what they can handle, i would say it's dependent on how well it's maintained and whether or not you have any mechanical sympathy or not, i'm hoping for a similar torque figure and about 160bhp+ when i get my Td04 fitted . . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
yeah thats the power figure i had in mind Wink The engine sounds good and has just had the belts done, has history too. are you going to run the wastegate or not, just dont fancy the de wastegate idea, only thing putting me off to be honest, been looking to try something different turbo wise, but soooooo many lol...
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2012, 06:53 PM)billing5 Wrote: yeah thats the power figure i had in mind Wink The engine sounds good and has just had the belts done, has history too. are you going to run the wastegate or not, just dont fancy the de wastegate idea, only thing putting me off to be honest, been looking to try something different turbo wise, but soooooo many lol...

i'm gonna try and keep the wastegate too, i'll keep you posted . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
IIRC Ruan got 245lbs-ft of torque on the k14 with an 11mm bosch....

Back in the day when there was a lot less known about the capabilities of the stock head, and that the stock turbos were massively restrictive, that was prettymuch the set-up to have.

I don't understand what you're aiming for really though... It's all well and good having a torque figure in mind, but its about the torque spread imo. You can get 240lbs-ft at 2.5k with a k03/gt15 but it'll be dead past 3k really and all your mates will laugh at your tiny manhood because you can't get past 90 at adenauer....

On the other hand, if you get a td04 or similar, you'll get much better torque nearer the top of the revs with the correct pump mods....

Also, you don't want to neccessarily be targeting a 'boost figure'. a T2 will get to 30psi. But you'd be mad to run one there really, as the heat it generates makes the charge less dense, and even with a front mount IC you'll not have the flow to get any decent power at the top end.

And though I'm not 'on the pulse' anymore with diesel tuning, IIRC there have been failures from all engines, irrespective of code; so imo the best thing is to just rag on and if it blows up, it blows up... pack a spare engine for the 'ring.

And don't expect to keep up with your mates.... I'm not being predjudice, but a '6/Type R both pull hardest at the top end, meaning they're always pulling towards max. power. A diesel is pulling away from that point past 3.5-4k without significant modification and a hooter of a turbo, so realistically your top speed will not be close to the aforementioned petrols....
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
yeah see what you mean, but not to bothered about flat out speed in a straight line, just the handling and torque out of the corners, and to be honest having owned many hondas including a 1.8 vtec mini (different league that) they make feck all torque low down, so should easy keep up out of the bends, at least to 70ish (i hope)
Im not really chasing a boost figure just want something reliable ish, with good torque spread over say 2.500 to 4.500, dont fancy ragging the guts out of it as its my daily and not to fussed about being towed back from the ring either lol
Thanks given by:
Shit you had a vtec mini?! I would Friggin LOVE one of those Tongue
Thanks given by:
            yeah was a hoot to drive, bit much though the lsd and 189bhp just wanted to kill you at every turn Phew
few pics if anyone is interested, still have it though detuned to 1.5 16 valve on cbr bike carbs should see 140bhp with a cam, more usable power me thinks.....

anyhow back to french, what turbo could i use. i was also thinking t25 from nissan s13 or similar as there only 1.8 so hot side should lend itself to faster spool, bit oldskool i know but should do the job...
Thanks given by:
that is awesome! you done a project thread? I'd love to read it if so Smile

I've stil got the vid below in my favourites; looking back at it though, he doesnt seem to have many traction issues with the 1.6 vtec motor? he's a bit of a hero driver, there are a few properly sideways moments in that video, including one where he overtakes a bike round a corner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqrk8bfosno
Thanks given by:
Just FYI, I have a td04 & have kept the w'gate. Smile

[Image: be3fc5b6.jpg]
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
no build thread as such!!! sorry, few pics over on the 16 valve mini forum though, same user name billing5. that vid is sweet i know, probably one of main reasons i built one Tongue

jake, thanks for the pic dude, i take it you bent the actuator arm over and made new bracket to mount the actuator, cool very tempted now. what rpm she start to spool at...
Thanks given by:
Around 2 - 2.5 k I believe
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Correct Smile its very snug but it fits...

Yeah starts spooling just after 2k then goes round to whatever I dare rev it to lol
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
If you say you want good low end power to beat them out of the corners then surely if it's gunna be on track they'll be in the right gear?
Also if you want to be keeping/beating those tapping 6's and V-TEC's then your going to need a larger turbo. I have an Audi TT 225 K04 turbo fitted to my 205 XUD which was pretty easy to fit and even kept the original oil pipes off the T2. It's not really that laggy either compared to the T2. Starts spooling after 2k and gets on full blow at like 3k.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2012, 09:41 PM)strictly_derv Wrote: If you say you want good low end power to beat them out of the corners then surely if it's gunna be on track they'll be in the right gear?
Also if you want to be keeping/beating those tapping 6's and V-TEC's then your going to need a larger turbo. I have an Audi TT 225 K04 turbo fitted to my 205 XUD which was pretty easy to fit and even kept the original oil pipes off the T2. It's not really that laggy either compared to the T2. Starts spooling after 2k and gets on full blow at like 3k.

I know I ain't going to thrash them, just looking to keep up! Ko4 sounds good though what is the price tag on those, also do you think it will fail on a 9mm pump?? Lol
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2012, 07:26 PM)billing5 Wrote:
(22-09-2012, 09:41 PM)strictly_derv Wrote: If you say you want good low end power to beat them out of the corners then surely if it's gunna be on track they'll be in the right gear?

I know I ain't going to thrash them, just looking to keep up! Ko4 sounds good though what is the price tag on those, also do you think it will fail on a 9mm pump?? Lol

I got mine for a good price but they generally go for over £200. Your better off with a TD04 due to the price.
Yes the 9m will be perfectly fine, I'm still on one as well as Mark Airey and Jake I believe.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
9mm pump will cope fine, crack on!
Thanks given by: