FIXED! - Centre console clock/outside temp gauge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIXED! - Centre console clock/outside temp gauge
Guys,

I've had my car for a few months now and am trying to nail the niggly bits that aren't quite right, one being the clock in the centre console.

At first I thought it was a fuse as I couldn't see anything on the display, however I checked the fuse and it appeared to be ok. In addition this fuse supplies other services in the car and there wasn't any snags with them.

On further inspection I've noticed that the display is on but is very dim and also flashing (dim and then even dimmer!)

Is the clock unit duff or is there something I'm missing. I've set the correct time on the unit, but when I've come back to use the car later its at some random time, as if there's no memory.

Any suggestions?

S69
[Image: 2306s.png]

The Old_______and_______Slight Less Old
Thanks given by:
TThere is a bulb behind it. Its probably blown lol take it out and replace :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
well i'm not sure tbh but i have a clock with temp display here you can have for 10 pounds posted if that helps . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Cheers Guys.

Will check the bulb 1st and let you know as it's an easy job.

Next snag,,, the AC, but that's for another thread!!

Thanks given by:
Took the clock/temp gauge out and checked the two bulbs, both looked blown. Fortunately I have a spare 306 in the garage with a clock only display. Removed this known good clock and used its good bulbs in my clock/temp diplay. No difference!

Swapped the bulbs back into the known good clock and connected this up in the estate and it came on, but was dim as per my original symptoms, so no difference.

Checked all the fuses relating to the clock (F19, F25 & F28) (in accordance with Mr Haynes) and all are good. The only time the clock went off was when F25 (5 amp) was removed.

Everything now back as it was, with the exception of the flashing. I think that may have been just a visual indicator that the clock needed setting after the last time I removed the battery. Well I'll be able to confirm this in the morning if the time is still set correctly. Not that there's much point cos I can only see the clock when I'm 6" away and I shade it from any sunlight!!!

Any other help would be great.

Thanks given by:
I actually have a similar problem and it puzzles me.

Both bulbs seem ok, but they won't illuminate themselves with the ignition. This is generally solved by simply 'tapping' the display gently.

Perhaps a poor connection between bulb and circuit? I took it out again yesterday and had a look but still no joy Sad
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I agree, and hopefully it won't get the better of me!

I'll post if I find the root of the problem.

Thanks for your input

Thanks given by:
i found a similar problem with mine after a screwdriver escaped through the stereo slot and landed on th clock never fixed it though lol
Thanks given by:
like the connections between the glass/screen and the clock surround are very fine as they are just a really really fine contact. Illumination wise it should be something to do with the bulb however if its the screen thats not showing numbers as opposed to the bulbs then its really new clock time. £10 max should be the cost.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the comments fellas, but as stated, I can see the numbers, they're just dim which leads me to think that the clock is working and the circuit for the lamps is at fault somehow. Add to that the fact that my spare clock was dim as well seems to point to a supply problem.

More tinkering I feel.

And did I check the clock to see if it had kept good time???? No!!!! Will check at lunch time today.

Thanks given by:
has the dash got a dimmer switch?
try turning it up or check to see if the plug has fallen off the back of the dimmer switch
Thanks given by:
The dashboard light dimmer switch would be the blank beside my headlight adjusting switch I'm guessing!
Huh

Thanks given by:
yes pull the panel out and the orange wires will be plugged into a link on the switch blank
if it is not plugged in the lights wont work
Thanks given by:
I'll have a look in the morning.

I'll just say that all the lights in the clock pod (speedo and rev counter) and all the switches (hazards/rear window heater etc) in the centre console are bright. Wouldn't this wiring also effect these?

Thanks given by:
Yes, in fact the dimmer switch is primarily for the backlighting on the gauges - I didn't even know it affected the clock or heater controls etc
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
IIRC the only time that the clock dims down is when you turn the side/head lights on.

Anyway, had another look and my know good bulbs that I used the other day,,,,, aren't!! On closer inspection they've also blown. Whether this was due to a fault on the car or they were blown before I fitted them, I can't say as the XRDT has been off the road for a wee while now. All I can say is that they worked the last time I cranked the car over. Time to source new lamps.

On the plus side, the clock is keeping good time and the temp gauge is giving a temp which is probably accurate. It's a shame I cant read it without being 6" away!!

Thanks given by:
I had another play with mine (oo-er!) and managed to get one of the two bulbs to work as it should. Or so I thought. Even now it requires a little 'tap' to sometimes get it to come on.

It would definitely suggest the connection between bulb and circuit as the cuplrit though...
Thanks given by:
Do you know what type of lamps they are?

Thanks given by:
Defect rectified!

Earlier I mentioned that I had used known good bulbs from my spare clock out of my XRDT which I'm dismantling. Evidently they weren't that good!!!!!

Bought 2 new replacements at the summly cost of £2.28, fitted them and hey presto,,,, it works.

What a Censored chimp! Admin please remove my 1 rep as I don't deserve it any more Doh
lol

Any way that's my snag fixed, guys have a real good look at your lamps and double check they are good.

Cheers for the earlier pointers.

S69

Thanks given by:
I intend to buy some from eBay, think you can get about 10 for the price you paid, as long as you're happy to wait for them to arrive!
Thanks given by:
Do you know if they are the same type that illuminate the vent dials?

Noticed mine weren't working this morning, hopefully this isn't fall out from fixing the clock!!

Thanks given by:
yeh i think they are the same as they are both the twist in ones. T5? someone tell me if im wrong!
Thanks given by:
286 bulbs . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2012, 02:47 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: well i'm not sure tbh but i have a clock with temp display here you can have for 10 pounds posted if that helps . .Smile

Do you still have the clock/temp display?
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2015, 05:26 PM)Moose Wrote:
(19-09-2012, 02:47 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: well i'm not sure tbh but i have a clock with temp display here you can have for 10 pounds posted if that helps . .Smile

Do you still have the clock/temp display?

Maybe dude i'll have to check . .Smile
Thanks given by: Moose
Any luck on the clock fella or does anyone have one I could buy or borrow to try?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Centre console Jimmy-hdi 5 1,210 28-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Jimmy-hdi
  Has anyone ever fixed a 306's air conditioning? JTaylor2005 33 8,452 10-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Centre console Mole man 5 1,424 20-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Mole man