Which fuel?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which fuel?
Had a quick search couldn't find much on the topic..

Last night filling up (again) I questioned which fuel I should be buying, so just filled up with normal Unleaded (97?) as usual..
I watched a video on YouTube this morning that compares 3 cars, a Megane, a Golf GTi and an Impreza, 3 different dyno runs with 3 different fuels with ECU reset each time.

The GTi and Impreza being performance vehicles had big increases on bhp when using Shell Optimax, as the engines were able to gain the increase from the 'better' fuel.

Would the GTi engines also benefit from 'better' fuel and also see performance gains?

Link to the video:

I don't really know how it works other than that the higher octane the less unexpected/planned reactions you get.
Thanks given by:
I've done a tank of fuel saver against a tank of vpower and I did notice a difference. Not really in performance but the car ran much much smoother and happier and the mpg was better (although that is a bit difficult to gauge really without doing a few tanks and averaging them)
Was it worth the extra money? Not all the time but I do chuck a tankful in occasionally when I'm feeling flush!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
my DT runs better on Diesel than veg slightly . . :p
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Haha Matt!

Also; YouTube the Lamborghini on 110octane ( race fuel )
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Don't forget though modern cars are designed to react to fuels with higher octanes. Iirc the gti will adapt from 95 to 98ron. Now that companies like BP are starting to do 105ron, they will be wasted on cars like ours.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I know my car runs f*cking shite on Red compared to Normal Diesel. I used to run my GTI on Vpower quite often but never did any mpg compaprisons with Normal. And because the cams ran lumpy all the time was hard to tell any differance in running either.
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
My 6 only gets V Power cos im a boss
Thanks given by:
My saab did about 1-2 MPG more with super.

I usually stick regular unleaded in, but I have a few quid off coupon from Shell, so I may treat my car to a tank to Vpower.
Thanks given by:
i heard the 306 dts run better on kero than regular diesel Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
(12-09-2012, 10:53 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: i heard the 306 dts run better on kero than regular diesel Itwasntme

with a splash of 2 stroke yeah . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
You should definaly put vpower diesel in it
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
^^ this.

quietens down that tap.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I always run my gti on BP ultimate. As niall says it dosnt really make much difference to the preformance. That i notice any way. But it runs soooo much better especially from cold. I think its worth the extra money myself but then i very rarely drive my gti so its not like im puttin 40-50 L of fuel in a week.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
This is odd, there exactly the same thread on DubGen atm....so I'll copy my reply over. Tongue

Not sure if anyone in Ipswich has noticed (Or even if its more that just than just Ipswich) but there's no 'fuelsave' Diesel here any more at shell.....funny thing is though, Im probably one of the most anal people for mpg ever, and there was absolutely no mpg difference at all between fuelsave, regular and even VPower diesel!!

VPower gave a placebo effect for about 10miles before that wore off lol, I could get the same placebo by sticking a couple of quid of redex in.

The VPower petrol does make a difference though, it cured my Dads old Mondeo's pinking problem, and in the new one he does better efficiency on it (not that you can call 22mpg average good haha!)
Thanks given by:
I put in £20 of V power into the 1.8 tonight and.... i cant tell the difference. it might run a bit smoother but i think its just me wanting to think that. Also this higher milage thing... I presume it gets slightly more MPG per litre... BUT because it costs more per litre then... it makes it not worth it!
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2012, 09:48 PM)SRowell Wrote: I put in £20 of V power into the 1.8 tonight and.... i cant tell the difference. it might run a bit smoother but i think its just me wanting to think that. Also this higher milage thing... I presume it gets slightly more MPG per litre... BUT because it costs more per litre then... it makes it not worth it!

Normally notice the difference after a couple of tankfulls
Thanks given by:
give your head a heavy skim and you might notice a difference. aside from the noise of valves smashing the pistons like a dog in heat, of course.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Mines had a heavy skim, weight saving ftw!!!
Thanks given by:
(13-09-2012, 07:44 AM)puglove Wrote: I always run my gti on BP ultimate. As niall says it dosnt really make much difference to the preformance. That i notice any way. But it runs soooo much better especially from cold. I think its worth the extra money myself but then i very rarely drive my gti so its not like im puttin 40-50 L of fuel in a week.

I use around 100-130 L of fuel a week so that would definitely add up if i used BP ultimate all the time (which i what i use, when i do use)

I do find my car is a little more touquey on ultimate but again that could be a sub-conscious thing because I know ive put it in my tank..
“Someone get the foghorn, Kyles out in the Diseaseal again”

[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
GTi6s do have a knock sensor so theoretically they'll run a bit more timing as long ad the conditions are ok... But in our climate, you're very unlikely to notice any difference IMHO, vpower won't help the engine really, you've got to consider they're designed to run on 90-93ron in countries with bad fuel supplies... There's an option in the ecu to run the ignition timing retarded for places you can only get 85ron... So putting in 97 isn't going to make any more power...

There's no difference in joules/mol from vpower to normal fuel... Infact vpower diesel has less joules/mol than regular, only advantage is the cetane number so technically it'll burn faster and produce more work done...

If mapped on vpower and the timing bumped so you might see the gains of the increased octane number, but on a standard OEM car, you just won't notice it... I've tried both on my GTi6 and cannot discern a difference... A cold night makes 50x more difference...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: