Newer Cars!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Cars!?
Hello

*Feel free to skip to the bold part*

Ok, I know most of you live for the 306 and possibly won't understand this thread at all and will come back with 'I'd rather have my top spec meridian/Top handling DTurbo over a new car anyday' as I would've said myself just a few weeks/days ago! Undecided

But now I can really see the benefit of a newer car. Basically my Nan has said she'll loan/give me some money towards a newer car instead of 'keep buying 10 year old heaps of crap' in her exact words lol. Now I'm not sure how much she's willing to part with yet, as I absolutely hate being indebted to people, family relation or not, I've avoided it so far, but I'm now coming round to the idea.

The thing is, until today I didn't realise just how much 'older' petrols cost to run, and the diesels cost a tonne to buy! Then you've got the reliability, yes any car can be shit with a bad history, but at 6 years old, its only had half the time to get a bad history compared with an old french hatch used as a cheap workhorse! And of course, newer car gives you a dealer warranty if anything were to go wrong, hardly ever even see 306s at dealers.

Most of you probably know by now my mum drives a top spec 12 plate suzuki swift, yes it cost a lot to buy (£7k after px i think!) but it averages 55mpg, even round town, and really isn't all that bad, its obviously no speed machine, but its a 1.2 non turbo, which has more power and does more mpg than a standard 306 HDi, not to mention the £30 a year tax and the much lower insurance cost!

Yes its all swings and roundabouts, and I'm certainly not looking at brand new cars like that. The costs and depreciation is phenominal.

So I'm looking for something inbetween with a main focus on mpg, reliabilty, space (bootspace and or towbar), comfort, cheap tax. Now I know this will come at the cost of power and probably handling, but if I don't f*ck everything up now then I can always get a powerful, good handling car ('6 hopefully!) for weekends once things are settled. I was surprised just how slow the 130bhp vectra was last week, and Ive tested a 1.8 mondeo today (125?), again unbeleivably slow! So I know Im not gonna get anything as quick or torquey as the Golf...but of course, I can see the power/torque broke everything. So I'd more than likely keep a new car totally standard, or just a stage 1 map if it's diesel (more mpg too then!).

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully I've explained stuff.....if not just read this paragraph. Basically, I'm looking for a car around 5/6 years old, not sure on budget yet, with a main focus on mpg, cheap tax, cheap insurance, reliabilty, space and comfort.

Any suggestions are welcome, I've never before looked at cars I can't afford so I really have no idea what I should even be looking at! Obviously something that looks half decent and isn't 'too' slow would be good but I'm open to sensible suggestions....or even suggestions of why you wouldn't have a particular car.

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
long and boring post that i cant be bothered to read

whats everyones plans for the weekend?
may as well turn this into a friday thread
Thanks given by:
Theres a part in bold for lazy people. Plus it's only Monday.

But I am looking for serious input really. Smile
Thanks given by:
Save your money buy a 306 newest one possible sorted, or if I have to answer your thred what about the 307 hdi?? I would go for one of these if I had money

Thanks given by:
If you buy any other car than a 306 id recommend you read the websites name lol
Thanks given by:
306s are out of the question if I do take my Nans my money, they're too old and shit apparently. In a way she is right, yes they're a bit of fun and they handle well but its not a car you buy with your brain, if you see what I mean. Smile Theres something good about them, and I still miss them loads everytime I get in SRowells, but it gets to a point where you have to think about the costs and stuff, rather than how fun they are.

I've heard a lot of problems with the 307 HDi (including my mates one!) but might be worth a look I guess.
Thanks given by:
Presumably you have to pay the money back? So it'd be more cost affective, to get a cheaper older car and have some fun. Spend the money you would be paying on fuel instead, and enjoy it.

I can't give suggestions on new cars, don't like them. But whatever you do, just have a think at any suggestions, don't just shoot them down in flames.
Thanks given by:
b5/b6 audi a4
Thanks given by:
We have one of these.. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

Autotrader figures say up to 83mpg but I've had it up to 91 on the motorway.
They are tax free and the cost even brand new is -10kish.

The downsides are it seems the steering wheel has no connection to the wheels, the seats are excruciating and the first time you try to figure out how to put it in reverse will leave you screaming
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 05:37 PM)Curt Wrote: Presumably you have to pay the money back? So it'd be more cost affective, to get a cheaper older car and have some fun. Spend the money you would be paying on fuel instead, and enjoy it.

I can't give suggestions on new cars, don't like them. But whatever you do, just have a think at any suggestions, don't just shoot them down in flames.

Well....tbh I probably won't, not all of it anyway. I think she just wants me to get something reliable and cheap enough to run so i can forget about that and get on with other things. One of the conditions of getting that money will be to buy something newer though, although I do see your point about getting a cheaper older car, it's not gonna work like that.

Think about any suggestions? Im just waiting for someone to suggest a GWiz or something. Tongue But yes, Im not gonna do my usual 'no' all the time. Wink

(10-09-2012, 05:39 PM)Bananalad Wrote: b5/b6 audi a4

A4 is probably a bit big.....I wouldn't mind an A3, but have no idea what thier engines are like these days, particulary something like a 1.6 petrol I guess?

(10-09-2012, 05:40 PM)vlj Wrote: We have one of these.. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

The downsides are it seems the steering wheel has no connection to the wheels, the seats are excruciating and the first time you try to figure out how to put it in reverse will leave you screaming

Hmm, not a bad suggestion...but go on then, how'd you get reverse?
Thanks given by:
Cant be much bigger than a 5 door golf?? Nah go tdi tom lol
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 05:47 PM)Bananalad Wrote: Cant be much bigger than a 5 door golf?? Nah go tdi tom lol

TDI? Pfft, after the last one I don't think so! Or have they got better since the PD's? I know they added DPF's after the PDs so thats a bad start lol....

And yes the A4 is massive lol, A3 is about Golf sized. Was trying to keep away from VAG if possible though haha.
Thanks given by:
Didn't know where you were based and what your budget was, and what you used your car for but a couple of suggestions if you could afford them...

The 1.9 td Passat was featured in top gear a couple of months ago an American couple somehow managed to get it to run 1600 miles before filling up!! LOL no idea how!!

ford focus

honda accord

VW Passat
“Someone get the foghorn, Kyles out in the Diseaseal again”

[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
E46 320D?
Volvo C30 diesel?
New shape Megane DCi?

Depends on your budget really...You can pick up the e46 for £4k for a slightly above average one, the other two you'll need around £8k.
Thanks given by:
buy a 57 plate or so either corsa or astra 1.3 cdti, fantastic little engine!
BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 05:53 PM)Scott Wrote: E46 320D?
Volvo C30 diesel?
New shape Megane DCi?

Depends on your budget really...You can pick up the e46 for £4k for a slightly above average one, the other two you'll need around £8k.

I love c30's was looking on autotrader but the cheapest is around 5-6k!!

Thanks given by:
Get a newer golf mate, my mates gttdi 140 mk 5 is lush and only problem he has had is boost pipes piping off! Lol
Thanks given by:
i usually resist posting in Tom's threads because they bore me shitless . .this is no different but and quote " its not a car you buy with your brain"

seriously really? . . .i paid 350 quid for mine got the cambelt changed and other than the normal droplinks balljoints whatever i've had 2 years of trouble free motoring, running on veg, pissing all over other peoples MPG figures because of the price of fuel, she's got a nice stage 1 tune that i did myself, results below in my sig, and i get a lot of nice comments from people who see her and ride in her . .
i mean obviously people that own 306's are gonna bite at your comments a bit but why must you talk such total bullshit all the time? . . i assume it's the only way you can get an answer of some form, because you can't be sensible yourself, i know i always give you shit mate but you bring it on yourself, i fcuking love my 306 and i can't wait to get a TD04 slapped on and have even more fun, but i guess that means i don't have a brain when it comes to buying cars . . . . .oh, hang on a minute, i'm not the one with a fubarred piece of VAG crap on the drive though am i? . . . . . .hmmmmm makes you think doesn't it x lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Focus isn't a bad shout actually, hadn't even thought of the newer ones tbh. Accord is probably a bit big, suprised how fairly cheap that is though, possibly civics in my price range too then.

That would help wouldn't it! I'm located near IP1 1AA. And my car is used as a bit of a workhorse really, carting various items/lawnmowers/old ladies to various places all the time. Hatchback preffered over boot for better access, and 5 doors preffered as well, again for access. Should also say, I like spec, but I'd assume most newer cars come fairly well specced anyway.
Thanks given by:
The breadvan shape Civic
A3
Fiesta
Focus
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 05:56 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: i usually resist posting in Tom's threads because they bore me shitless . .this is no different but and quote " its not a car you buy with your brain"

seriously really? . . .i paid 350 quid for mine got the cambelt changed and other than the normal droplinks balljoints whatever i've had 2 years of trouble free motoring, running on veg, pissing all over other peoples MPG figures because of the price of fuel, she's got a nice stage 1 tune that i did myself, results below in my sig, and i get a lot of nice comments from people who see her and ride in her . .
i mean obviously people that own 306's are gonna bite at your comments a bit but why must you talk such total bullshit all the time? . . i assume it's the only way you can get an answer of some form, because you can't be sensible yourself, i know i always give you shit mate but you bring it on yourself, i fcuking love my 306 and i can't wait to get a TD04 slapped on and have even more fun, but i guess that means i don't have a brain when it comes to buying cars . . . . .oh, hang on a minute, i'm not the one with a fubarred piece of VAG crap on the drive though am i? . . . . . .hmmmmm makes you think doesn't it x lol

You're exactly the kind of person I knew wouldn't understand the thread. Wink
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 05:57 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Focus isn't a bad shout actually, hadn't even thought of the newer ones tbh. Accord is probably a bit big, suprised how fairly cheap that is though, possibly civics in my price range too then.

That would help wouldn't it! I'm located near IP1 1AA. And my car is used as a bit of a workhorse really, carting various items/lawnmowers/old ladies to various places all the time. Hatchback preffered over boot for better access, and 5 doors preffered as well, again for access. Should also say, I like spec, but I'd assume most newer cars come fairly well specced anyway.

Yeah I know the newer ones are much more reliable than the mk1s.. Only bad thing is you'll blend into all the reps and driving instructors that drive these Tongue

And curts right get the older shape civic... So you can actually see out the back window XD

Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 06:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 05:56 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: i usually resist posting in Tom's threads because they bore me shitless . .this is no different but and quote " its not a car you buy with your brain"

and you're a gimp that sucks off donkeys . . . . .Makeup
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 06:04 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 06:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

I'm not sure whether to bother explaining the reasons to you or not really.

If you can trust a 15 year old pug then good for you.......if I'm aiming to get over certain problems I have atm, I need to have a car I can trust. Also I hope you enjoy paying £200 a year tax, and as Ive already said numerous times, I won't be messing with veg. So a DT would only do what 45-50mpg on diesel anyway. Not to mention the lack of spec and driver aids on an old DT. Dont get me wrong, for what yours cost I can see the attraction, but it's not at all suitable for me. Smile
Thanks given by:
If you don't get a 306 you'll sit on here all day telling us how much better than a 306 your car is

If you do get a 306 you'll sit on here all day telling us how you should have bought something better

Either way it's lose-lose for us!

Tom, never buy what you can't afford to buy outright with cash, unless it's a property. Cars don't get more valuable (by and large) they only ever depreciate.

Have a look at some of the shed posts on pistonheads, that's any car which costs a bag of sand or less. Some are incredible. You do not want to spend thousands on a car you can't afford, it will be a massive mistake.

Mazda 323, the old ones. A damn good steer, bombproof engines and 5 doors whilst doing a good impression of a coupe, what more could you want for less than 4 figures?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 06:11 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Either way it's lose-lose for us!

Unless I find a forum for whichever car I get and you get some peace..... Tongue
Thanks given by:
get a mk5 golf and stance it Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Read the bold part and havent read any of the other posts as im on my phone. But for me its a 207 gthdi epic cars to drive IMO

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 06:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 06:04 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 06:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: You're exactly the kind of person I knew wouldn't understand the thread. Wink

I'm not sure whether to bother explaining the reasons to you or not really.

If you can trust a 15 year old pug then good for you.......if I'm aiming to get over certain problems I have atm, I need to have a car I can trust. Also I hope you enjoy paying £200 a year tax, and as Ive already said numerous times, I won't be messing with veg. So a DT would only do what 45-50mpg on diesel anyway. Not to mention the lack of spec and driver aids on an old DT. Dont get me wrong, for what yours cost I can see the attraction, but it's not at all suitable for me. Smile

you couldn't explain if you tried . . . . . . .i've known you for enough time now to know that for a fact lol, you're more wishy washy than fairy liquid . . . . in some weird way you want everyone to hate their 306 well it won't work on me i tell ya . . . .Wink
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2012, 05:45 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-09-2012, 05:40 PM)vlj Wrote: We have one of these.. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

Hmm, not a bad suggestion...but go on then, how'd you get reverse?

Generally they are very good cars extremely economical reasonably cheap to repair (we've had ours for 12k from new and no issues).
You push the entire gear stick towards the floor then move it into reverse, never seen something like that before : [
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fix 306 or get newer Peugeot? MY95 20 3,075 03-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Newer Diesels... Toms306 150 41,068 17-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Last Post: cpikey316_