Raspberry Pi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi
(08-10-2012, 09:19 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 08:26 PM)Niall Wrote: Light weight controlling device?

Aww f*ck it I might as well say cos i actually dont care if this idea gets copied cos ill probably be grateful of the help.

Why not use it as an ECU?
Its got good enough processing power (i think) and a 26 wire output. Well a micro/megasquirt ECU only uses a 35/37 wires and alot of them are unused and some are just power wires to the ECU itself which the RPi already has so theres probably enough wires to read sensors and control injectors and ignition.

Ive even got the megasquirt software here.
Interesting idea Chris. Cully might have a good idea from the electronics side of it, but hardware wise I'm not sure it'll have the correct connections for the software to actually run. I also have no idea what kind of hardware an ECU actually uses?
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2012, 09:22 PM)Scott Wrote: Interesting idea Chris. Cully might have a good idea from the electronics side of it, but hardware wise I'm not sure it'll have the correct connections for the software to actually run. I also have no idea what kind of hardware an ECU actually uses?

Most sensors are 5v on the car (like the RPi) thats TPS, MAP, IAT, CT etc. the only things that are 12v are injectors coil and possibly lambada. All the RPi has to do is know that if it puts out 5v to a sensor it then reads the voltage comming back and puts it within a range to establish where it needs to be in any particular 3D map.

The main map is something like Revs and TPS to IQ and the same for ignition advance with trim maps then for everything else to add or remove fuel.
Thanks given by:
personally i wouldn't go down that route
as the RPI hasn't even got a reliable off switch without corrupting the sd card
Thanks given by:
Great idea but it wont work. Simple as that
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2012, 10:37 PM)Niall Wrote: Great idea but it wont work. Simple as that

Why not?
Thanks given by:
any more info on theese jonny?
Thanks given by:
Sorry guys ain't been on much lately, been extending our workshop as buisness is going mad!

My guy can't do better than the £23.50 but its next day delivery, so you guys let me know when you want em and ill order em, but I will be paying for these upfront so I don't want any people saying they want then saying no
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
shame you didn't get any to bring to the meet, when you get them i'll deffo have 2 of them
Thanks given by:
Yeh I know bud just I ain't had time to breath let alone do anything else ha ha
Thanks given by:
yea i know how stressful work can get.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for sorting this Jonny Smile As said at Ace, if you'd mind finding out whether we can order a couple at a time or if we need to do it as a single bulk order that'd be great. I'll be having two. Cheers
Thanks given by:
Yeh will do tomorow bud, hopefully I won't be doing a 16 hour day lol
Thanks given by:
No rush mate, you've got my number so feel free to give me a call if you don't have time to come on here, I'll happily update the thread for you Smile
Thanks given by:
Project Free TV gets my vote to be added to the list Cully Big Grin
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
Just picked up two of these! One is going to be for XBMC connected up to the TV...the other I'm not 100% on yet but I have got some ninja ideas
Thanks given by:
Hooked mine up to my fancy PC monitor (via HDMI) and everything looks good, plus I get audio from the headphone output on the monitor. So then I hooked it up to the TV (again, via HDMI) and the picture is bigger than my TV, so bits get chopped off around the edges, and I get no audio :S
Thanks given by:
The audio will be a tv setting I would of thought. I know on mine there is a HDMI audio override feature.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hmm I was thinking of that, just got to figure out how my remote works :blink:

Just had a flick through the manual and can't find anything about switching the audio for HDMI Sad. I have a feeling that the TV is too old to support it, it's nearly 6 years old now, but it's odd because my Sky box works fine through it?!
Thanks given by:
They would run any ECU software you wanted them to...

But just look at an RPi vs an ECU...

[Image: bosh14.jpg]

ECU

[Image: 300px-RaspberryPi.jpg]

RPi...

There's no shielding whatsoever, no power regulation, the board just isn't built to put up with the hardship of living in a car from -10*C at night, with possible issues of condensation to +50*C in the daytime under the bonnet... Possibly more, then the vibrations of living in a car with pissy BGA...

No reason it wouldn't WORK, it'd take a significant amount of coding, it'd all have to be written from the base upwards with error correction and reliability etc all built in from the ground upwards - home computers don't have continual checksum correction for example - the only stuff that does is Server end stuff... I've looked into doing it with an Arduino, but I've had enough issues when the VNT controller worked with all that crap... Literally you move the board 10cm and randomly the sensor inputs are spacking out due to interferance from all sorts... You'd be AMAZED at the EMI that comes out of an engine just running with no "electronics" onboard... Wait until you're amping injector/spark drivers, trying to stop the coils from sending shit back to the ECU - each time that happens, generally it's a whole new ECU - even Siemens didn't manage it, just look at the 1.8 ECU, gets spiked by the coil packs all the time lol!

Little rant over :p
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Exactly what Ruan said!! There is no where near enough thermal protection for the rate at which a cars ecu is asked to work at, on the raspberry! It wouldn't be any where stable or reliable
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raspberry pi. Talk to me. ginge191 7 1,947 20-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Eeyore