New car advice...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New car advice...
Wink 
Right'o, looking at selling the Bora soon. Well once it's been MOT'd which I can do the start of next month.
Looking for something a bit more fun... however insurance could be a bit fun... 20 yr old, 1 year NCB, no convivtions...

Would like something quite naughty like a Legacy twin turbo
[Image: %24T2eC16V,!yEE9s5jFKT5BQBfO4TfJ!~~60_3.JPG]
FAPFAPFAP
but I think insurers will laugh at me when I tell them. Asked for a quote off my current insurer (Elephant) as they've been cheapest for me on the last 3 cars I've had (sedan, 205, Bora) but think anything with a bit of power then they'll shit themselves laughing, but I'll wait and see what comes back from them...

Enough of the rant, more of getting to the pont... What is a 'fun' car to be be had for £2000 or less that won't be silly on insurance. Not too bothered about fuel costs etc...

Most of all this probably makes no sense but there we go!
Thanks given by:
306? Tongue
Thanks given by:
Gti6?

mx5? This has practically turned into mx5oc.co.UK these days...

205 dturbo

205 gti

Errrr.... I dunno besides that! Lol its hard given the budget...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
MX5, Clio 182/172, 106gti/Saxo vts or even...gti6/Rallye?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2012, 08:33 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Gti6?

mx5? This has practically turned into mx5oc.co.UK these days...

205 dturbo

205 gti

Errrr.... I dunno besides that! Lol its hard given the budget...

Gti6 is tempting...
Don't think I'd fit in an MX5
Done the 205 d-turbo
205 gti in good nick these days is hard to find...

(28-08-2012, 08:33 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: MX5, Clio 182/172, 106gti/Saxo vts or even...gti6/Rallye?

Clio 182/172 is tempting!
Thanks given by:
Clios are great, it's just a case of buying wisely. The induction noise they make is fantastic even standard, an old colleague says he can get 38mpg on his commute too, not bad for a 2.0 petrol! Oh, and it used to shit all over my mx5 in a straight line (somewhat obviously...)
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
dont discount some larger cars. im not as young as you, but my insurance actually went up switching from my 185bhp saab to a 90bhp 306 HDi
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2012, 08:52 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: dont discount some larger cars. im not as young as you, but my insurance actually went up switching from my 185bhp saab to a 90bhp 306 HDi

This. My Saab was cheaper to insure than my 106 was in the first year of driving.

I'm probably going to get shot down for this but corolla T sport? If you could get one of the newer shape ones (might be high mileage) they look pretty good
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
nova 2.0 xe!
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2012, 08:46 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: Clios are great, it's just a case of buying wisely. The induction noise they make is fantastic even standard, an old colleague says he can get 38mpg on his commute too, not bad for a 2.0 petrol! Oh, and it used to shit all over my mx5 in a straight line (somewhat obviously...)
Driving a 2.0 atm and just scraping 36MPG if i drive like a granny and keep below 3k rpm. Only a shit commute to work atm so not bothered about that, but start back uni in Oct so want something more fun then.

(28-08-2012, 08:52 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: dont discount some larger cars. im not as young as you, but my insurance actually went up switching from my 185bhp saab to a 90bhp 306 HDi

Think it's something like £900 a year atm on the boaring...
(28-08-2012, 08:57 PM)Niall Wrote:

This. My Saab was cheaper to insure than my 106 was in the first year of driving.

I'm probably going to get shot down for this but corolla T sport? If you could get one of the newer shape ones (might be high mileage) they look pretty good

This, or the Yaris T sport...
Milage doesn't bother me. The Bora's on 114,000 but has got FSH and runs like a dream!
Thanks given by:
Good man. Most people are put off by mileage and generally if it's been serviced and looked after, it will be fine!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2012, 09:02 PM)Niall Wrote: Good man. Most people are put off by mileage and generally if it's been serviced and looked after, it will be fine!

Had a coule of things go slightly wrong, but not anything that couldn't happen to any other car.
New battery and tighten an alternator cable and all was fine again!
Did the waterpump and cambelt because there was no record and touch wood it's been fine...
Now who wants a Bora?!
Thanks given by:
I'd recommend a 106 GTI, amazing to drive and £2000 would get you a stunner, I averaged 30+mpg round town and 45mpg on a run and insurance was dead cheap Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
What engines in the bora?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Two point slow petrol......... (2.0NA)

I'd look for a '6 in your position tbh Carlos. Smile
Thanks given by:
If your bora was a 1.9tdi I'd have instantly said you can have my gti6...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I've got an old '87 plate 325i BMW convertible in mint condition chery red up for sale ninja
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
'Rolla T-Sport has the same 190bhp 2zz engine as I had in the Celica, similar to that found in the Lotus Elise 190.

It's a pretty reliable engine, chain-driven too so no snappy-snappy worries there. It can be temperamental in the 'lift' department. Basically the head has a fancy cam timing setup on it which puts the engine into 'lift' (like a less advanced version of VTEC) giving you a boost of power higher up. It's good fun probably for about the first 4 weeks of ownership, then it just becomes a chore.

Everyone looked at the Celica expecting it to be fast when in reality it was just a smudge faster than a GTi6, and a fraction slower than an EP3 Civic Type R. Ultimately the gearbox lets this engine down, whilst it's a 6-speed the box just doesn't want to keep up with fast changes, so the gearbox really isn't suited. It's the same as fitted to the Corrolla, albeit with a different top gear which gives better economy. Finally, whilst the Toyota's are really well built and actually do handle reasonably well, they're just so pitifully dull inside. Black / grey plastic everywhere, nothing ever felt like it would break, but at the same time it felt a bit cheap.

EDIT -

Also looked at the Yaris T-Sport and found the same thing. The T-sport actually loses the digital dashboard of the lesser spec-d cars in favour of analogue needles, whilst again the interior is drab and they really aren't very fast at all - great up to about 60mph but then all out of talent. Will get shat on by a 16v VTS / 106...
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2012, 08:33 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: mx5? This has practically turned into mx5oc.co.UK these days

Who else has got one, me, me-tm.....?
Thanks given by:
Fozzy has had his ages, and the new guy with the pink wheels
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2012, 12:44 PM)Curt Wrote: Fozzy has had his ages, and the new guy with the pink wheels

Doesn't Ruans housemate have one as well?
Thanks given by:
That's the guy with the pink wheels
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2012, 07:29 PM)Curt Wrote: That's the guy with the pink wheels

Oh right lol

To be fair, I've fancied one for a while and I got an insurance quote on one at £288 today so I might soon have one...
Thanks given by:
I wanted one too but missus said no Sad. But I'd say if you're looking for a fun car which will be insurable at 20 it's a great shout. Or indeed a GTi-6, or a Wallye for that money.
Thanks given by:
It's either one of them or a mk1 MR2, but their all made of rust now...
Thanks given by: